Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters
My experience over the years is with a Kimber, a Savage, a few Remingtons, and a Ruger. These were all "factory" guns, right out of the box. Some were broken in "properly" while others were less fortunate and one was flat out broken. THe most accurate of the bunch was a 2009 Remington VSSF II with the attorney trigger in .223. This was one of the lucky ones that was broken in and today will shoot a group of 52gn Sierra MK's regularly to a half minute and less. The woodchucks on the farm hate this gun, though few get to complain :D

The Savage is a 22-250 that also shoots very well. But it is a left hand gun and I shoot right hand. Never could get used to it.

The Ruger is accurate to a minute at 100 and is well made. It is a .375 and just isn't fun to shoot hence I just don't use it much.

The Kimber was also accurate to a minute or less but it has too many other issues. I believe this gun was made by the old Kimber of Oregon. Now i'm curious and I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home.

my 2 cents

Salesmen who work at Scheel's in Billings and personally own Cooper, Kimber, CZ and whatever else you can think of, say their CZ rifles shoot as well as anything and do it for less money.

Now that the Euro is in trouble, CZ should be even better value for money, and they disappear off the racks at Scheel's rather quickly. The racks seem to be empty of CZ centerfires for a good deal of the time between shipments the past couple of years.

All my CZ centerfires shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards in box stock condition. I haven't even bothered to adjust the adjustable triggers. Zero mechanical issues out of 5 CZ firearms, one of them owned for 18 years. My accuracy is equal to the claims of Nosler with their best custom rifles. CZ rifles come with a factory test target, and mine always shoot twice as good as the test target with good handloads.

I have a hard time buying a new rifle that does NOT come with a factory test target, as long as I can get a CZ that does....and usually at a lower cost than the other rifle I would consider.

I just bought a sps model 700 7mm! It shot .343 out of 5 shots right out of the box! after of course 6 rounds to zero it in with the new scope! All in all very happy with it just so you know it was with factory ammo also can,t wait to work up a few hand loads look out! I also have a freind that shoots alot of remington actions on his custom bench guns very impressive! and that was from a 100 yards I think this gun will be more than I was looking for! Also the savage has been putting out impressive guns but I have heard alot of people send them back once or twice till they get a shooter!I did not want to risk not being happy so i bought the rem!lightbulb

Salesmen who work at Scheel's in Billings and personally own Cooper, Kimber, CZ and whatever else you can think of, say their CZ rifles shoot as well as anything and do it for less money.

Now that the Euro is in trouble, CZ should be even better value for money, and they disappear off the racks at Scheel's rather quickly. The racks seem to be empty of CZ centerfires for a good deal of the time between shipments the past couple of years.

All my CZ centerfires shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards in box stock condition. I haven't even bothered to adjust the adjustable triggers. Zero mechanical issues out of 5 CZ firearms, one of them owned for 18 years. My accuracy is equal to the claims of Nosler with their best custom rifles. CZ rifles come with a factory test target, and mine always shoot twice as good as the test target with good handloads.

I have a hard time buying a new rifle that does NOT come with a factory test target, as long as I can get a CZ that does....and usually at a lower cost than the other rifle I would consider.

I may not be a fan of CZ, but I completely agree that in today's world, a rifle should come with proof of its' accuracy potential!

I may not be a fan of CZ, but I completely agree that in today's world, a rifle should come with proof of its' accuracy potential!

Guess many folks think that's a new sales deal, but it's really kinda old. I have one test target from around 1976, that's about 3/4" and another that's slightly over an inch from Weatherby. The first gun was bought when Weatherby touted sub one inch groups, and the other was later when they did 1.5" in the MK. V's. Cooper has been doing it for years in their high grade 22 rimfires (do not know if their centerfires come with a target). Savage has an accuracey rateing, but never saw a test target from them.

Upto the advent of the Savage target grade rifles the leader was the Remington 40X. This was a day in day out thing, and you knew what you got when you opened the box it came in. Then Savage started showing up right on their doorstep with their varmit rifles. Then they did some changes in bedding and later trigger designs that allowed them to pass the mod. 40 series. After that they did another bedding redesign, and built a solid top action and the world was theirs for the asking. I suspect their next step is to go with a higher grade barrell from an outside source like Remington did. If I were shopping for an accurate rifle, and could buy a 40x for the price as a Savage, I would buy it. But you can't, and that's the nature of the beast here.
gary

I own 3 CZ centerfire rifles and all of them shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with handloads. My CZ 452 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with cheap CCI Blazer .22LR ammo.

All my CZ centerfire rifles shoot twice as good as their factory targets indicate with good handloads.

The fact that Savage comes out on top in this survey means that Savage outsells CZ (and Sako and a few others) by a wide margin in the USA.

Russian Special Forces use CZ rifles. If Savage was better, they maybe could save a few bucks and it could give them better deniability. US Special Forces generally use something besides standard production rifles, but deniability is their major concern after a certain level of quality is reached. The CZ 75 pistol is one of their favorites. CZ is bigtime popular in the special forces world of many nations as their weapons are awesome in an absolute sense as well as for price. .

I went with Savage as #1 but my Remington 7MAG is #2 and my 03A3 Springfield .3006 is just as good as my Remington, if not better.

Most all savages I own are heavy barreled versions, but I also own a couple 99's. The first group out of every Savage I've owned was 3/4" or smaller (not counting the 99's). All shoot well into the three's and a couple have no trouble getting into the mid two's consistently. One single shot would do sub twos on a regular basis, but still couldn't be counted on to do that everytime. I always thought it was just me or I was lucky, till I started to look around. I was not an exception to the rule, and really just one among many. Then my brother inlaw buys a 30-06 Savage in stainless steel with the factory brake and the rubber stock. He starts out shooting 3/4" groups with Federal Supreme ammo! His rifle now shoots right at 1/2" groups rather consistently. It's just as it came out of the box ten years ago.

Now I own four or five 30-06's in one brand name or another. Plus a couple I no longer own. My favorite was a Remington 700ADL. Not the most accurate, but still very good. The most accurate 30-06 I've owned is a Weatherby Vanguard. It will shoot better than the operator as long as you give the barrel time to cool down between shots. It will do .60" groups on a good day without a hitch. And shoot sub inch groups at two hundreds yards rather consistently. On the otherhand I have a Marlin MR7 that started out shooting just under an inch at 100 yards, and will shoot just under 3/4" now (keep in mind I've never bothered to work up a good accuracey load in any 30-06 I own). I have a MK.V. lightweight Weatherby that started out in the 3/4" area, and I honestly think the rifle can be made to shoot sub .60" groups. I have a regular MK.V. that dosn't shoot that well, but still prints in the 3/4" range all the time. I have zero complaints about any of them, except that I often wish I had the ADL back in my safe! The Marlin has the same basic feel and balance of the ADL, but the way the stock is cut induces felt recoil (I'll fix that one of these days)

Now if you goto a "factory benchrest shoot" you will see about 80% Savage rifles, and that's why the call it "The Savage Line." Sure you'll see a Remington or two, and maybe a Cooper, but that's about it when it gets down to the last relay.
gary

I own 3 CZ centerfire rifles and all of them shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with handloads. My CZ 452 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with cheap CCI Blazer .22LR ammo.

All my CZ centerfire rifles shoot twice as good as their factory targets indicate with good handloads.

The fact that Savage comes out on top in this survey means that Savage outsells CZ (and Sako and a few others) by a wide margin in the USA.

Russian Special Forces use CZ rifles. If Savage was better, they maybe could save a few bucks and it could give them better deniability. US Special Forces generally use something besides standard production rifles, but deniability is their major concern after a certain level of quality is reached. The CZ 75 pistol is one of their favorites. CZ is bigtime popular in the special forces world of many nations as their weapons are awesome in an absolute sense as well as for price. .

All my reading backs up what you're saying about the CZ. I've never owned one but I would like to...

Savage is just a special name for me; many moons ago it meant that a rather poor man
could have a great shooter without having his family go hungry. That I did always
appreciate. Now days, Savage prizes are getting pretty competitive but you can still get
a shooter. Just maybe I'll last long enough in this world to own a CZ... if not well I'm happy with... 2savages.jpg

Tikka/Sako for me. Savage's are all right but none that I have/had can match the Finns in accuracy, not to mention the fit and feel. I will still continue to own Savage's as they are decent guns for the money. They just need a stock/trigger/barrel swap... :D

CZ's are guns I wouldn't mind shooting more.

I have several 30-06s, my favorite is a Smith Corona made in 1942 with a Springfield 03 action and barrel, it had a sporterized stock with a Leupold scope and it has taken many deer, I have lost track, this fall it will be my caribou rifle.

I have a Savage .308 now, it is starting with open sights, and at 200 yards getting 3" groups, with open sights , I hope to get a Leupold for it also.

I see Savage Arms handily beat out everything else in the poll.......:)

You can't beat a Savage for OOB accuracy considering the price point. I can buy 2 Savages for one Cooper.......

It wins hands down.

Savage isn't about pretty. Savage Arms makes no bones about asthetics versus accuracy. It's all about accuracy.

My 111 in .338 has no issues just enlarging holes at 100 yards with factory loads. Would probably not even raise the edge fuzz with handloads which will come later..... and....

The Accutrigger is what triggers should be like. Mine pulls crisp with no pretravel or creep at 3 pounds 2 ounces (checked with my Lyman pull gage) right out of the box.

Can't beat 'em.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts