Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters

Eaglet

Please Help!

I was reading a long argument as to what is the most accurate hunting rifle out of the box.

Lest see what a poll says

Please vote. Not your thoughts but your experience.

If you wish also state why you think it's so.

Thanks!

My Cooper 52 in 6.5x284 out of the box consistently shoots .25 MOA or better. It took very little load development and is not as particular about component changes as several of my other rifles. It holds zero, hot, cold, clean, or dirty. The balance, workmanship, and smoothness will stand with many customs. I have had several factory rifles that were accurate, but I have usually had to modify to get them to my liking. Maybe I got lucky, but based upon seeing the performance of a few of my friends Coopers, I don't think so.

I to have a cooper that shoots unbelievably well. As good as my customs, but then again it pretty much is a custom. $1750 price tag for my 308 repeater.

I've seen their price tag, it's up there; but then again they're nice looking rifles and shoot great from what I've read.

I've seen their price tag, it's up there; but then again they're nice looking rifles and shoot great from what I've read.

Yes, they are up there, but one day looking at the price of the glass I was putting on some of my LR rifles I said why not try one......like the good glass, well worth the investment. Don't get me wrong, I have some really good shooters and glass for for half the bucks. Just had to invest the time and work with them to get them right.

P7100007.jpg

I bought this used Savage 110 in .270 Win for $199 (w/o base ans scope) for the action for a project last year but the darn thing shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with factory ammo. Harvested WT doe at 200 yards first time out last year. :D All I did was adjusted the trigger pull to 2.5 lbs.

The TikkaT3 Lite's shoot very well right out of the box, especially for such a lightweight packing rifle. I've never owned a savage so can't compare to them. Owned a number of Ruger 77s, Rem 700s and Win 70s. Tikka's outperformed them. 0.75" and better at 100 yards could be expected with hand loads.

I believe any Savage can easily be made to shoot as well or better than a Cooper. But not every Savage is capable of it -out of the box (or off the shelf). Some have poor barrels.

I've never heard of a bad shooting Cooper.
And Coopers are definitely 'nicer' guns, that are truly field practical.
You can build performance out of a Savage cheaper. But you can't build a Savage that's as nice as a Cooper much cheaper, if at all.
So I like them both, have/had both, but out-of-the-box performance, and even value, has to go to Cooper IMO.

I know Savage shoots good, I have one in a .223, But there is no way I can go against Remington. I have a .243 ADL that was built in the sixties, it still looks new with the Walnut Stock, and at a 100 yards that rifle still shoots a Nickel pattern, I bought the BDL Walnut Stock in 1990 in the .270 and right out of the box at 100 yards I could shoot Empty Shotgun casing off the fencepost and went 10 for 10.

The Savage I have now I bought last year, and it does hold a tight pattern, at 100 yards it is about the size of a quarter with 5 rounds. That is good....

I took the context of this poll to be about odds.
That is, if you went to a gunshop today to buy a gun off the rack, which brand would most likely shoot well when you got it home, just the way it is, no work on it or aftermarket changes.

Any of the brands listed have released good shooters. We all have our favorite guns.
Not what this poll is about..

Like mentioned before. "Out of the box" rifle. I have owned alot of the ones mentioned. Cooper was the best out of the box rifle, but I consider them a custom. Kinda tough to compare a $1500+ rifle to a $600 one.

Kinda half the fun for me is I buy a rifle, set it up with loads etc. Sell it to a friend at a reasonable price and start over.

Brent

Last edited:
I have out of the box experience with remington by far, then a couple of savages, mauser action store models and a couple of Mossbergs.

All except a couple rems were good enough to do final tuning to get way more than adequate hunting quality. I was impressed with the two mossbergs...

blipelt, this isn't 'best BARGAIN out of the box'.
I have a Browning Eclipse that cost more than my Cooper, and weatherbys get up there. Neither offer 'customs'. So in this regard, any Cooper certainly should be compared.
The only options I'm aware of with Coopers currently is wood grade, or an alternate twist for some cartridges. It's not a custom.

I have a Tubb T2k that would set you back $4500 out of the box(without scope). It is not a 'custom' gun, but a standard model as designed(with a 16mo wait). But this falls under 'other', as in 'another' crapshoot from barrel to barrel.

Now I could buy several Remingtons for the cost of a Browning. Maybe one of em would shoot & maybe transfer the others to a gunsmith for something of little value. But what a bother figuring which to keep & still it would never be worth more than a Remington. The Chevy Nova of guns..

I also don't consider load development, and getting a barrel changed, and more load development, to be fun by any stretch. It's a logistical nightmare for me. So it's making more & more sense to reward someone else for relieving me of some of this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.