Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Thank all of you for your remembrances and hunting stories . I am enjoying each and every one of them . Your story telling is outstanding , I can envision myself trailing along with you on these hunts .
I think that some of you should get together , collaborate , and write a book , or several books , about your coyote hunting experiences . I think that the book/books would sell .

I am almost 70 now , and have lived all of my life in Fort Worth , Texas area . Densely populated , and no public lands nearby , so my hunting was always done with yearly out-of-state trips to New Mexico , Colorado , Wyoming , and 1 trip to Montana .
In 1996 , my 2 brothers , 1 friend , and I were lucky enough to be drawn for Antelope tags in the unit that is bounded on south by I-80 , east boundary is a county road that runs north out of Wamsutter , Wyoming . and western boundary is about 40 miles west of Wamsutter . I think that it was unit 60 , or maybe 61 .

All 4 of us got nice Antelope within the first 3 days of hunting , so we decided to try calling coyotes with a mouth-blown call . We set up , just below the top of a short bluff , backed-up against the side of the embankment , facing south , into the 10-15 mph breeze , watching a narrow drainage , about 50 yards wide , that ran to the south for over 1/2 mile .
After sitting quietly for about 20 minutes , I began calling , and within 1 or 2 minutes at the most , I spotted 4 coyotes coming in to the call from the far south end of the arroyo , at a dead run , all side by side , and as I watched them bounding up , over , and down the gently rolling terrain , all that I could think of was the music to the TV series " BONANZA ". With the 4 coyotes running towards us , in my mind , I could see Ben , Adam , Hoss , and Little Joe , all riding their horses towards us .
At a distance of about 75 yards , I awakened from my daydream , and realized that neither of my 2 brothers or my friend had yet seen the coyotes . At 50 yards , my youngest brother finally saw them and locked in on 1 .
I was sitting on the far left side , so I fired 1st shot at coyote on farthest to my left . My youngest brother shot 1 from the 3rd position , my friend next to me never shot , even though he had a shotgun , and all 4 coyotes had closed to within 35 yards . My brother on the far right side of our set-up never got a shot , due to obstructed view , and I shot another as they were high-tailing it away from us . 3 coyotes with 3 shots , out of a group of 4 that had come into the call .
It was an exhilarating experience , to say the least !

I did some research on coyote hunting that area after returning home to Texas , and found information that coyote hunting contests were sometimes held in that area that was called the Red Desert and Basin of the Continental Divide . I had always hoped to return to hunt coyotes in those contests , but never did .

Well , enough of my story .
I truly envy you men and women that live in the wide-open Western States .

Keep your stories coming .
DMP25-06

GOD made some great country with Mondamtana, and Wy-dam-oming, after attempting to grow up in Minnesota this is a dream come true!!!!

I got a good one on calling in a 500-600 lber..............no sh-t

Last edited:
10 years ago or so......was hunting mulies in a drainage near Gibson, year before one of my cat hunting buddies got on a 210-220 gross non-typical and things didn't work out for him. So I was in there hoping to see that deer. Fairly open timber at the time 75 yards or more view through the trees. I had one of those doe bleat cans, you hold your thumb over the hole and tip it over and it bleats, like a doe in heat. Real light wind in my face, just after daylight, moving up the drainage and every few minutes I would tip than can over and give a couple bleats. About a few hundred yards up that drainage I thought I heard something in the creek just below me, but up wind of me. So a few bleats followed and I heard something walk real soft and figure it was a mulie buck coming on in........the creek had about a 8-10' bank and he was in the creek. So there I was with .270 in hand, round in the chamber, triple shock bullet. After a few minutes up out of the creek came a beautiful boar Grizz, 50 yards away, darker brown color, with a golden brown saddle on him. Just a beauty. He stood there on all 4's with his head as high as he could get it, looking at me, trying to figure out what the heck I was...his head look like a wash tub and I would guess he was 500-600 lbs at least, belly hanging down, fat butt and the light was hitting him just perfect....I would guess he stood there 20-35 seconds as I watched him, he was just staring at me not sure at all what I was (I always wear snow camo when the ground is white big game hunting) ....So after a fashion I said " Get the F out of here".........he about turned inside out getting the heck out of there, he ran sideways from right to left and I am pretty sure there was no way I could have hit him with a bullet. I was amazed how fast he went from 0 - 60...........I kept working up the drainage another 1 1/2 miles and he crossed in front of me 2 times, tracks in the snow............kinda like telling me, "you fooled me buddy, but now I know what you are and I am not afraid, you leave me alone I leave you alone." We saw that boars track for 4 - 5 years in there in November, little over 7" across the front pad.....I can still see it all in my mind...............I know its not a coyote, but figured you may enjoy it anyway......Lots of Grizz encounters last 37 years, they are pretty darn sharp.

Last edited:
That's a good one Reemty J and DMP 25-06 . I was up near the Medicune Bow National Forest calling early one morning . I had set up on a hill side over looking some beaver ponds that were full of willows . I was using a closed reed circi jack rabbit call . I'd been calling maybe 3 minutes when out of the corner of my eye I saw something big and black moving toward me down in the willows . I said to my self aw s I've got a bear coming in as I'd seen one just a week before in that same area . I only had a 223 and a 9 shot 22lr. revolver with me . I slowly turned and watched until it came out into the open some more . It was a young bull moose to my surprise and relief . The local game warden told me I was full of it until that fall some one from Iowa shot it with an arrow and left it . They used custom made ceder shafted arrows that were traced to a maker that had recorded the serial numbers and who he had sold them to .

I completely agree with DMP25-06. All you guys need to collaborate and put a book together. I'd buy it and I don't like to read books lol. These stories are amazing to me. You all have probably forgot more than I could ever learn about chasing these predators. As far as the bear encounters go obviously none here in IL to practice the nerves of steel on but I think I could hold it together but can promise after that grizz that Reempty J had there would be a pile where I stood lol.

My only other experience using a predator call and coyote howler in the beautiful state of Wyoming was in 1988 , the year of the Yellowstone fires .
My youngest brother and I had gone to Yellowstone NP , during the summer , in the midst of the Park burning , to view what I thought would be my last time to see My Favorite Place on Earth . The fires were raging and most of the campgrounds were closed , but Mammoth Hot Springs campground , near the Park Headquarters and North Gate , was open so we camped there . Very few people were there , due to the fires , and wildlife viewing was fantastic , animals were out everywhere , especially the bears , both Black Bears and Grizzly Bears , more bears than I have seen in all of my other visits combined .
One night after sundown , as the Mammoth campground quieted-down and people returned to their campers , tents , and motor-homes for the evening , I told little brother to grab his binoculars and follow me . We hiked across the road and up to the top of a hill about 600 yards east of the campground and sat down , facing the camps.
" WATCH THIS , I told him as I pulled out-of my pocket a predator call and coyote howler ".
I first let out several barks and a couple of howls , and then we began watching the campground for action . Sure enough , doors on campers opened , tents un-zipped , and people came out with flashlights in hand , looking all around for whatever made that NOISE . We sat there Quietly watching the action for 4 or 5 minutes until the people returned to their beds .
After another 10 minutes of quiet , I grabbed the predator call , and let-out with the most blood-curdling screams of a dying rabbit that I could perform . Immediately , lights came on inside and outside of tents , campers , and motor-homes . People came out with guns in one hand and flashlights in their other , looking under vehicles , under tables , and in the tops of trees for whatever was making that terrified sound .
We were rolling on the ground in laughter , while watching all of this entertainment through our binoculars .
They were outside searching for at least 10 minutes before returning to their beds this time .
Another 10 minutes of silence and I told little brother
" I am REALLY gonna get 'em this time ".
I let-out with another rabbit scream , followed with the dying-quiver wailing of the rodent , as it was being torn-apart . Lights on and people out again for the 3rd time . HA - HA , HOORAH , are we having fun , UNTIL we hear , just behind us , the soft-padded foot-prints sound of a heavy animal just behind us .
Then another light bulb turns on , this time just above our heads , and it says " SUCKER ", just like in the cartoons . Here I was , blowing a predator call in the home of the largest predator in North America , the Grizzly Bear . I would wager money that my brother and I looked like the Keystone Cops from the silent film era , as we ran like .... down that hill and back to our camper .
Next morning , the campground was abuzz with talk about the terrifying sounds from the night before .
I know that those sounds were made by me , but I don't know if they came from the calls , or , our rapid retreat from that hill top .

DMP25-06

After reading these stories of yote hunting I thought I would share one of my own. from 2001 to 2005 I lived Susanville CA and went to school at Lassen JC for gunsmithing. the second winter there I got invited to go coyote hunting on a sheep and goat ranch in a little berg 10-15 miles south of Susanville. I was friends with the owner's grandson. I showed up before sunrise as instructed. I had a 17 Rem, 223 Rem, and my 300 W/M. why the 300 I have no clue I just brought it without thinking. I met all the other hunters involved with the ambush of the coyotes. there were callers, trigger men and as I remember the temp was a brisk -5 or -9 it was a bit hard to make out with the fog hanging around the temp meter. they had arraigned a shooting structure out of hay bales, wood, and tarps. it was very civilized. A small stove was in there with us to keep us a bit warmer than the air would allow. at the first crack of dawn the callers were in full voice. cotton tail in distress, lambs whining for mama, and other distress calls filled the air. it took less than 10 minutes for the snowy field to fill with coyotes running for the field we were in. I learned a lot about how buck fever must feel like. So many targets so little time to shoot them. The coyotes were plentiful in 2002. that Saturday morning one coyote would not come in. he stood stowic on a rise at the edge of the canyon at 500 yards. not coming in, just standing there watching. no one wanted to take that shot with the wind coming down the draws. I was the idiot that said, "Hell, I will try for him." I pulled out the 300 and lined up and let one fly with some "kentucky windage and elevation". it landed nearly dead center 20 feet infront of him. I lined up again and let a second fly; when I got back out of recoil, the coyote had disappeared. I thought I scared him and missed him twice. the next Saturday morning I was pulled aside and asked never to use my 300 on a coyote ever again.. that is when I found out I did hit him with my 300.. only small parts remained after the 175 grain slug struck him. I lost count of the number I personally got in the few months after that. what will stand out in my mind was the one marbeled grey and white wolf I got. the anger or hunger in his eyes have haunted me since then. even after 18 years I sometimes still see those eyes in my dreams. that was the day I was hooked for life on coyote hunting. my first time and one of the best memories I have of coyote hunting.
I worked in Susanville a few times - I used to brinf my 223 and run across the border into Nevada and slay coyotes. This was about 9 years ago. There were still a lot of dogs in that area.

When my son was 13 I decided to take him with me one early June morning . We got out to our hunting spot while it was still pretty dark and moved to the head of a draw setting up under the crest of a saddle with our backs to the east . The grass in the bottom of the draw was nearly a foot and a half tall for the most part . As it got light enough to shoot I started the baby cotton tail tape on low volume . Down near the foot of the draw almost immediately I saw the grass wiggling so watched it until I saw a badger moving around . I then went to watching for a coyote on out farther . It didn't seem like it had been but a few minutes when I heard my son scream and then a BOOM I looked over to see the badger making a hasty retreat down the draw . So being me I ask did you get him ? Silence for a few seconds then an excited I don't know I thought it was going to attack me . I had a good laugh but my son wasn't laughing until latter .