Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I completely agree. Outside a couple that got too close to the house and livestock this winter I didn't even try to call this winter. Gonna try here shortly cause no one hunts them this time of yr but this will be new to me. Guessing fawn bleats and such to match the hatch.

74honker Are you experienced with howlers ? This time of the year I start howling a lot . I use howls that aren't aggressive Bill Austin taught me that an interrogation howl this time of the year works to both get them to answer you so you know where they are and will get them to come to you . It's not a real high pitched or a real low deep voiced howl . Two howls two barks and 1 howl wait 2 -3 min and repeat then wait 2-3 min repeat then wait 10 min or so before you do that again . Keep an eye out for movement or one setting and watching where you are . If you are real close to their den they may just set and watch you and their den they will look your way and then at the den take note of where they are for later . If you see one just watching where you are do the same to them for 10-20 min. then do some puppy squeaks and squeals . Be ready they will most times come on the run . That seems to work for me here until mid June then I go to fawn blats . Once I get the coyote I move over to where they were watching me from and get at their eye height so I can look at what they were watching most times you can see the den like a sore thumb standing out from there .

I've got none with them DSheetz. That's great advice I'll definitely take to heart. Any suggestions for a good one to start with?

My experience is limited period. What I do know and live by is the don't ever let the see you, here you, or smell you coming method. I have mainly worked with Ecalls avoiding the sounds others normally use and blind setups where I've had deer cam info on timing in a certain area. I just don't go if the conditions aren't right. I'm in an almost impossible area for the don't see you part. Flat as a table and hardly a tree line to hide an approach. Any advice from more experienced is always welcomed.

One of the easiest howlers to use is the Randy Anderson one made by Primos I believe it's called the hot dog . If you have an Ecaller do you have the FoxPro puppy sounds or maybe the Johnny Steward 101 puppy sounds . Primos also makes a howler called the little dog that has two different mouth pieces that work well to howl or make puppy sounds . If you have any tall grass's or bushes you can set up beside , in front of or lay down close to them so you aren't sky lined wait 10 -20 min after you set up before you start calling , watching for any movement that my indicate you were busted on your way in . Watch for ant hills and snakes when you are setting up by grass or brush around here rattle snakes will use a sage brush for hunting mice and birds .

I'll check those out. Sawyers brand for the bugs, it's like gold for ticks, ants, and just about anything. Plenty of snakes but no rattlers where I hunt. My Ecall is a western river but hoping to upgrade to FoxPro soon. I also inherited a really old Johnny Stewart but can't remember what all I have for it. Old enough it has cassettes but it still works lol. I can't thank you enough for the advice. The timing and sequences are what have been the hardest for me to figure out and I know that can be the most important part. Especially on the smart ones.

Critter call magnum is easy to howl on also.....I prefer open reeds as you can make darn near any sound you want on them......critter calls are easier than Randy Anderson's on howls and kiyi (coyote distress) for me. YMMV.

I used the magnum critter call for years also . All of them are easy to use pee-wee , medium and magnum Maj. Bodiker did his research when he designed them . I think he has called critters all over the world with them .

Recent Posts