Coyote hunting tips

hunt with the wind at your back so if he wants to wind you he has to be dead set in the middle of your killzone.

howl first

my close range gun is a 44mag carbine, just got some 305gr gas checked hardcast to try. Your close range gun doesn't have to be a shotgun.

learn how to locate coyotes, and do it, often.

use hand calls and learn how to read reactions and responses, then respond correctly to pull them closer.

always keep calling after a shot, I've called dogs back in or new ones in even after a buddy and i fired six rounds into his friends.

Some will say wind in your face and others at your back. The main thing is be aware of what the wind is doing and get the dog shot before he smells you. A coyote can come from anywhere, but they will work their way down wind.

As time goes by, the single most effective advantage I have learned is to shoot longer range. I used to shoot most coyotes under 100 yds and now most are 400. It's getting harder and harder to find a coyote that isn't call shy. Focus on shooting more consistent at distance or finding fresh territory to call. If you can't find fresh country, don't call at all. Just hunt them like you would anything else. Don't let yourself be seen or heard, and use your binoculars often. Then reach out and touch them.

My best calling spots continue to produce year after year. For example there is a particular knob overlooking a large bowl that I kill several coyotes off of each year. Don't over hunt your good areas but keep checking back on them occasionally and they will likely continue to be good in the future.

My next best tip is to be extra stealthy on your approach to the stand, over the top sneaky and be mindful of the wind. I typically hunt open country and I have blown a few stands spooking coyotes on the way in that would have almost definitely responded to the call had they not been spooked.

Coyote hunting tips. Please no discussions or stories just straight out tips and techniques.Example

Always carry a shotgun or better yet a shot gunner with you.

Try and be above in coming Yotes

Also have a pistol in your lap or handy, you'd be surprised what can show up behind you.

Best tip is; see if you can find an Herbs Howler.. cow horn not that plastic crap..it can't be beat.
Original Herb's Howlers

Cheer's

Hey guys I am fairly new to coyote hunting and new to this site. I am shooting a rem 700sps varmit in .243 1:9 with a 26"barrel. I currently load a 75 gr v-max and they make a hole that could sink a ship in no time. I am looking for a bullet that won"t make a mess. I live in north west North Dakota so the wind can get heavy. Any advice is much appreciated

@hooked

I have shot many coyotes with sierra 70 gr matchking with very little fur damage. 46 grains of H4350 and the Sierras shoot out of my Remington VLS. Should be the same barrel. Matchkings are not recommended for hunting, but I chronoed it about 3500 fps and usualy get one small entrance and no exit. Also a chest shot with the coyote facing you is the more fur friendly than a broadside shot. Good luck

Always hide your truck and be super quiet and careful getting to the set. Sound carries a long **** way when you're in the middle of nowhere. Also cover your downwind side and expect the worst when a dog is getting near your scent cone. Cold weather and a light breeze makes for the farthest carrying and strongest scent cone.

Best of luck to all of those getting after it.