Coyote hunting tips

I have learned to practice the "Less is More Philosophy" with the electronic caller. My sequence has boiled down to a challenge howl when I get in and set up.

Coyote vocalizations through the caller are kept to a minimum both in duration and in frequency.

To put an average on actual calling I run the caller twice per hour at 15 seconds each.

The Coyote always come in slow, using cover slipping in and out of the open. Never have I experienced the "YOUTUBE" Coyote running straight down the middle of a pasture on a bee line.

When they hang up in the brush within range where I cant see them but know they are right there, I turn on the mouse sqeaks at 6 or 7 volume level. You cannot hear it but trust me it is playing.

30378, I have had a pack of wolves come to the call a few years ago, they came in slow and cautious and stopped a lot, my buddy and I had a miscommunication and we only killed one 🤔😕
WOOOHOOO that's awesome they are nothing like yotes, they command attention. I carry my 10mm in a Kenai rig, I do all my calling from the ground wouldn't wanna be surrounded by a pack!!!

WOOOHOOO that's awesome they are nothing like yotes, they command attention. I carry my 10mm in a Kenai rig, I do all my calling from the ground wouldn't wanna be surrounded by a pack!!!
I've been surrounded by a pack of coyotes on a pig kill, by myself, in the dark while my wife went to the truck to come pick up me and the pig. Only had 5 rounds, no pistol. Seriously dicey. They moved in several times, but couldn't decide if they wanted me or the pig. I was loud and aggressive, but never fired a shot. I was sure glad to see the headlights coming my way!

On another hunt, dropped a black tail in Mendicino county, ca. got dark, wife retrieving the truck. Got surrounded by a sounder of wild hogs. They were more aggressive than the coyotes! They just moved in and ate the deer in front of, caring less that I was even there!

In Tanzania, wife dropped a Cape buffalo. There are 8 of us there. We had seen a young male lion pride on the edge of a tiny village. Went back and alerted the villagers. The were aware and said to be careful because they were all 'teenage' males with no adult supervision - and no manners. They hated them and asked if we'd shoot them for the village's safety. Government observer went nuts on them, told my wife and not to even think about it, and commanded us to leave. We do. This right at noon. We hunt our way from the village. After about 2 hours and maybe 15 miles, wifey bags a really nice buff - her first - with 1 shot. No Followup required (375 H&H with the old blue 400g Barnes). Big moment, big celebration, lots of whooping and hollering. The 3 trackers/skinners finally get to work. It starts getting dark. Wife needs to pee. You don't pee in lion country by yourself - ever. I grab the Rigby and we go pee. On the way back to the truck, wifey sees a moving shape in the bush on her side. Says it's a lion. Red alert time. We stop and look hard. Light is fading. We're 100 yds from truck, help, and dead buffalo. Wifey has her 375. We whistle and talk our way back to the truck unchallenged. I grab the ph and tell him that the 5 teenage lions from the village were stalking us back to the truck. He calls BS. Tells wifey to get on the truck and keep an eye out. 15 minutes later, the skinners are still thrashing on the buff. Wife softly calls me from the skinners to the truck and tells me to have a look. There they were - all 5. Licking their chops and drooling. I loudly call the ph over, point out the visitors, and he promptly apologizes. He tells the skinners in Swahili that they need to finish things up quickly. They coomplain. He points out the 5 new visitors. They are now turbocharged! Govt observer hears "lion". He is terrified of lions. He comes back to the truck to see what we're going to do. Sees the 5 lions, freaks out. Grabs his 458 and starts shooting wildly. Then he hops into the truck, rolls up the windows and locks the doors! Fires 4 rounds at the lions. Lions don't even blink in the torchlight. Scared the everything out of the skinners. One skinner is dragging a hind quarter to the truck. The lions slowly and casually move out of the brush towards the buff and the skinner with the quarter. All safeties are off. The bolder of the 5 lions literally brushes past the poor skinner, licks the quarter and proceeds to sit in front of the other 2 skinners, who were working on the back straps. Skinner to ph "what do you want us to do?" At this point there is a lion between them and the truck. Ph tells him not to move and that we have things under control. Right then the other 4 lions ease out of the bush and surround the buff and 2 skinners. Dicey??

The lions are very calm, but all are drooling. Ph tells the skinners to bring the meat to the truck. They are terrified - but they do it. As the 2 skinners move from the carcass with 1 quarter still left, the 5 lions moved in and claimed the buff and started eating! Let's just say - the boys were not happy! Big discussion about retrieving the last hind quarter vs a donation to the troublemakers. Good judgement prevailed. The lions are well. A few beers smoothed things over with the skinners. The 1st lion had actually rubbed himself on the skinner with the quarter that he licked.

It was an incredible show that I desperately wanted to film - even in the bad light. But the situation was So desperate it would have been unthinkable to not have both hands on the 416! I can say it is a searing memory at the top of my hunting resume….

I think it's why we hunt. It is refreshing to change the paradigm and see what the wild, the bush, and Mother Nature have to say. Situations like this have a way of peeling back the veneer of your personality - and showing yourself who you really are.

I've been surrounded by a pack of coyotes on a pig kill, by myself, in the dark while my wife went to the truck to come pick up me and the pig. Only had 5 rounds, no pistol. Seriously dicey. They moved in several times, but couldn't decide if they wanted me or the pig. I was loud and aggressive, but never fired a shot. I was sure glad to see the headlights coming my way!

On another hunt, dropped a black tail in Mendicino county, ca. got dark, wife retrieving the truck. Got surrounded by a sounder of wild hogs. They were more aggressive than the coyotes! They just moved in and ate the deer in front of, caring less that I was even there!

In Tanzania, wife dropped a Cape buffalo. There are 8 of us there. We had seen a young male lion pride on the edge of a tiny village. Went back and alerted the villagers. The were aware and said to be careful because they were all 'teenage' males with no adult supervision - and no manners. They hated them and asked if we'd shoot them for the village's safety. Government observer went nuts on them, told my wife and not to even think about it, and commanded us to leave. We do. This right at noon. We hunt our way from the village. After about 2 hours and maybe 15 miles, wifey bags a really nice buff - her first - with 1 shot. No Followup required (375 H&H with the old blue 400g Barnes). Big moment, big celebration, lots of whooping and hollering. The 3 trackers/skinners finally get to work. It starts getting dark. Wife needs to pee. You don't pee in lion country by yourself - ever. I grab the Rigby and we go pee. On the way back to the truck, wifey sees a moving shape in the bush on her side. Says it's a lion. Red alert time. We stop and look hard. Light is fading. We're 100 yds from truck, help, and dead buffalo. Wifey has her 375. We whistle and talk our way back to the truck unchallenged. I grab the ph and tell him that the 5 teenage lions from the village were stalking us back to the truck. He calls BS. Tells wifey to get on the truck and keep an eye out. 15 minutes later, the skinners are still thrashing on the buff. Wife softly calls me from the skinners to the truck and tells me to have a look. There they were - all 5. Licking their chops and drooling. I loudly call the ph over, point out the visitors, and he promptly apologizes. He tells the skinners in Swahili that they need to finish things up quickly. They coomplain. He points out the 5 new visitors. They are now turbocharged! Govt observer hears "lion". He is terrified of lions. He comes back to the truck to see what we're going to do. Sees the 5 lions, freaks out. Grabs his 458 and starts shooting wildly. Then he hops into the truck, rolls up the windows and locks the doors! Fires 4 rounds at the lions. Lions don't even blink in the torchlight. Scared the everything out of the skinners. One skinner is dragging a hind quarter to the truck. The lions slowly and casually move out of the brush towards the buff and the skinner with the quarter. All safeties are off. The bolder of the 5 lions literally brushes past the poor skinner, licks the quarter and proceeds to sit in front of the other 2 skinners, who were working on the back straps. Skinner to ph "what do you want us to do?" At this point there is a lion between them and the truck. Ph tells him not to move and that we have things under control. Right then the other 4 lions ease out of the bush and surround the buff and 2 skinners. Dicey??

The lions are very calm, but all are drooling. Ph tells the skinners to bring the meat to the truck. They are terrified - but they do it. As the 2 skinners move from the carcass with 1 quarter still left, the 5 lions moved in and claimed the buff and started eating! Let's just say - the boys were not happy! Big discussion about retrieving the last hind quarter vs a donation to the troublemakers. Good judgement prevailed. The lions are well. A few beers smoothed things over with the skinners. The 1st lion had actually rubbed himself on the skinner with the quarter that he licked.

It was an incredible show that I desperately wanted to film - even in the bad light. But the situation was So desperate it would have been unthinkable to not have both hands on the 416! I can say it is a searing memory at the top of my hunting resume….

I think it's why we hunt. It is refreshing to change the paradigm and see what the wild, the bush, and Mother Nature have to say. Situations like this have a way of peeling back the veneer of your personality - and showing yourself who you really are.
Love these "out of Africa" stories, reminds me of "this happened to me" series in the old Outdoor Life magazine! Cats are on another level. I was hunting in Modoc county in N. Cal. years ago and came right up on a fresh steaming doe a mt. lion had just killed, blood running out of it, I could feel that cat lookin at me but never saw it. I backed out of that high brush with my .300 winnie at the low ready... Animal combat is different than humans...

Almost forgot, back in the early 80's there were places along the Czech border we would operate in and you could not sleep on the ground because of the pigs, they'd eat ya alive, M203 or not!!!!

Getting ready for my first coyote hunt. I've only hunted Prairie Dogs and I only use my .17 HMR. I was shooting anywhere from 100 yards and as far as 220 yards with positive impact and no misses. (Shooting off and RCBS R.A.S.S. ) Do you all think the Hollow Point will do the job?
I do have a .243, and and AR 223-556. What would you use?

Juts me but I would take my 223 or 243 but there are those that do okay with the 17HMR, I preferer to be over gunned then under gunned.
I've shot a lot of p'dogs with a lot of different cartridges. I found the 17 hmr the most lacking of results past 200 yds. I don't think it will knock down a coyote though. Kill - probably, but not a clean event.

Well here goes . Calls are like prayers they all get answered , just not always the answer you expect . I have called across a wide open canyon , only to watch a pair hightail it out 5 seconds later a different pair headed straight for us . (don't quit a spot just because you see a coyote leave .) Always check the powder . Look for tracks . I tend to call lightly at first ( you might have a bedded coyote close . ) Putting on snake boot's doesn't prevent snake encounters . Put the Sun at your back , keep the wind in your face , I'f you can get both of these thing's to line up it will help . Sit in the shadows . sneak into a confluence or bowl , don't walk across them . Use a rest , sticks , tripod , bag or fencepost . Be steady . Above all enjoy your time .

Question: I had a guy tell me that my Glossy Green Side X Side sticks out like a sore thumb. I understood the the yotes are color blind. He suggested no only try to hide in the thicket, but I SHOULD PAINT IT IN CAMO! So a lot of the time, just can;t get into the thicket to hide. Should I paint it?

Attachments

• IMG_7379.jpg
    IMG_7379.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 45