Prairie dog hunts

What would make you think I haven't? What would make you think anyone didn't get taken to the cleaners in 2008, I seen what was coming in our political climate in 2019. I could go on and on. Be happy with what you have! You never know how many folks would love to be you!

Lots of open BLM land in WYO. I used to hunt PDs just outside Rock Springs. I directed a guy from Reno, NV. to this area a few years ago and he called and thanked me after the hunt for saving him $500 for a guide. If interested, PM me with your cell # and we can talk. Mind you now, it's been a few years since I was there and I suppose a call to WY. G and F would probably get you some population info.

You should check with the fort belknap Indian reservation in Montana, or the rosebud in Nebraska, years ago you could purchase a permit to shoot on tribal lands without a guide, I don't know the current protocol or rules and regulations are. I had outstanding shooting on both 200 to 400 rounds a day were common and that was with 5 to 6 shooters all with 3 or 4 guns each
I shoot the rosebud always thought I was in South Dakota

I lived and worked in ND for 8 years. Wind tower business. Folks going to North Dakota and South Dakota are in for a very tough prairie dog hunt this year and in the future. Last 4 years ammo has been so high for reloaders and over counter ammo buyers dog shooters has gone down 75% in the counties I hunted in for 8 years. Ranchers use to charge 50.00 a day to hunt unless you had connections to the family.
Will ammo being so expensive no one would would pay the $50.00 a day let along 70 cents per shot at a prairie dog you could not eat. I had 14 ranches I hunted on 2 are left that have Parire dogs that have huntable numbers that you could shoot at on a Friday ,Saturday, Sunday hunt.
All the ranchers put the poison to them.
All gone. You can hunt public ground but be prepared to share the field with 6 or more people you don't know. I went last year and shooters were sleeping in their car over night when I pulled into the field. Just like waterfowl hunting. If it was me I would go to Oregon and or Washington and shoot the marmots. Only way to go now. I think you will be disappointed paying close to $4.00 In gas , $ 40.00 a night to pay a camp ground fee if grassland RV spots are booked which they will be from every one coming from California on vacation. Just my opinion. MD

Last edited:
Went on a Prarie dog hunt in the mid 90's it was a trip that spun a off a graduation gift to my son. Three of our friends went with us and we got our information from varmint hunters magazine. We went with John and Candy Kahlil in Zortman Montana. They were great folks that provided a place to stay, license and all our basic needs.We hunted on Belknap Indian Reservation Along with private land. The paint color on the fence posts at the cattle gate entrance determines whether the landowners allowed hunting. Being from Alabama we were amazed at the flat terrain and distance you could shoot. We all had an awesome time and I managed to kill 2 at 759yds with a .308 using 125gr. bullets @ 3025fps. Don't know if they are still operating or not but good luck and have fun.

God bless you guys with the big fat wallets. I think that $250 a day for each member in a minimum group of 3 to kill wild hogs is too much. Especially when there is open season 24/7 on these highly destructive creatures.
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, But seems to me by shooting P. dags and Wild Hogs, we would be doing the rancher / farmer a great deed. But I guess some locals got together with them and told them that SOME Shooters would pay big money to shoot on their property and they can split it.
I heard one story where 3 guys went to the rancher and ask permission to shoot P Dogs, The rancher ask how much ammo did they bring. He told them that would not not be enough, and that they had to pay him $1.00 for each one they missed. Man would I love a hunt like that!

Lots of open BLM land in WYO. I used to hunt PDs just outside Rock Springs. I directed a guy from Reno, NV. to this area a few years ago and he called and thanked me after the hunt for saving him $500 for a guide. If interested, PM me with your cell # and we can talk. Mind you now, it's been a few years since I was there and I suppose a call to WY. G and F would probably get you some population info.
520-678-0041 Thanks in Advance
Al

No more REZ or public land for me. Private land ONLY! I will gladly pay a good outfitter to safely shoot ranchers' spreads
I agree sir! That is why I have never gone to the rez, just not worth the headache! I would rather go relax and have fun, take a break eat lunch and relax some more then get after it again, lol!!!!

Wayne, I've been on semi-guided and DIY pd hunts in TX, NM, KS and CO on private and public lands. NE NM (Kiowa) and NW TX (Rita Blanca) have public pd hunting available on National Grasslands. I try to go on 2-3 hunts every year, taking 1-4 other hunters w/ me. I hunted the Rita Blanca and Kiowa w/ Jeremy at Sagebrush Hunts. The plague hit the Rita Blanca 5-6 years ago then moved to the Kiowa a couple years later. A few days ago I got an email from Jeremy about his pd hunts. He said he's offering hunts on both private and public land. I prefer to hunt on my own, but using a guide is not a bad idea, especially when one's still trying to find private land to hunt on. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me. 🤙
I just moved to Texas from Missouri. I am looking to learn about all of the hunting and long range shooting opportunities that are available. I am half way between Austin and San Antonio. Any help is greatly appreciated.