Prairie dog hunts

Was on a dog hunt a couple of years back. I was told by one fellow at the motel about a town that had thousands/gazzilions of them, but it was hard to get too. I ended up close by and swung through, yup pretty gnarly. Dog town, yup big, no maybe 100, but man were they stupid. It was like they had never seen a truck or person.
We figured we had wiped that spot clean. Went back the next year and it was about the same, been that way for the past several and make that the last stop on the way home.
Point being it ends up like fishing. What one deems large is average to another. Much like the ones that speak of 5-700 rounds a day with just a couple of misses.

JSHKS, I too have heard the stories of a gazzion PDs in a town. Oddly, I have indeed seen a couple. But another story I've heard is that the plague wiped em out. I've been going out there for over ten years, and I haven't seen that. The people I go to take good care not to have too much shooting in a town and we never shoot the same one twice while we are there. We do shoot a whole lot though! But I haven't seen any negative effects of our shooting nor any plague effects. Could be I just didn't go to one and yes, the plague could happen. But S.D. on the Rosebud has always been great shooting for me. To me , great shooting is averaging at least 200 rds. a day. The day is from 9ish AM to about 5PM. Ain't much down time in that span!

I remember when the first publicly available satellite services came online many years ago. It was an incredible game changer for those with the know-how to find and map out Prairie Dog towns. My shooting group was able to discover towns that were not visible from roads and trails. It allowed us to gauge town sizes and shooting opportunities that we would have otherwise missed. Nowadays apps like On-X make it even simpler, with PD towns being marked and searchable within the app.

Quigley, that's a good app. Good way to find towns. But, there are on, mostly, private lands and need permission to hunt. I have gone out there and did the motel, finding landowners, getting permissions, sometimes having a good shot, sometimes not. Most landowners will charge a daily fee. Then you have meals, lodging to add to costs. I found it easier to book a lodge, have a good shoot, all inclusive. Yeah, a bit higher cost, but a lot better time. But if you are on a tight budget, using the app is a good way to find towns.

It's been a few years, but I can second Larry Pate with Prairie Dog Safaris. He's up in NW Texas. Had access to several colonies and catered to my desire for long range shooting over pure volume. My longest shot (1,472) was with him. Used to go 2 times a year. If he's still in business, tell him I said Hi.

If you don't mind me asking where is the "ALL DAY SHOOTING" at. I drove 1,000 miles last year from southern AZ to SE Colorado. On a three day shoot we only saw a couple hundred. I'm up for another 1,000 miles if there is better PD' shooting. I use the .17 HMR and a 223, and 243. Hooked after only one time. HAve Side X Side, can travel!
The plague killed a bunch about three years ago here in our area of WY. We had pd towns that covered miles completely wiped out. Didn't break rancher's hearts, lol.
There are pockets here and there that are repopulating now.

Yep, I've had places that were red hot, then dead a few years later due to plague. There's no other reason, you'll not wipe them out by shooting. This was also an area where poisoning wouldn't be a thing.

Yes, On-x Hunt & satellite images help one scout from home. Another thing I've done is pay a rancher $100 per day, per shooter. He showed us where to go then went about his work. I don't mind paying some like that, much cheaper than being fully guided.

New to forum, reminded me how much fun prairie dog hunting was. Anyone know of current hunting grounds? My dad used to go on organized hunts up in Montana and Wyoming, always had a great time. Now that I am semi retired, I would love to attend one. Last post I saw, was from 2021. Any updates would be appreciated.
I went to S.E Colorado last June and spent 3 day only to find around 250 at most in 4 different locations. Seems they have poisoned them out. Then i made contact of a gentleman in Wyo shortly after that hoping for a good hunt in 2023. He told me that he has now done the same. So that kind of shot down my 1100 mile trip. So I've now getting into Coyote shooting year round here locally. The PD's was a blast to shoot off my R.A.S.S. shooting system. I might have only missed 5 on the first shot. mostly due to the wind hold factor. But since they are not that smart, I was able to get the 2nd shot in. hope I can find another place before mid june comes around as I have to go to VA for Grandsons Hi School Graduation

Thanks for that link but the $610 price tag is out of my reach. Especially if that is per day per person.

Recent Posts