Opinions on Noslers cartridge family

which nosler cartridge has the best chance of commercial viability?

• Total voters
I'm not about hotrodding my rifles so much anymore and if the 28 Nosler with 180 grain bullets is 150-175 slower than what my 7STW did, I'm good.

There is no replacement for displacement, but my 7RUM was a bit out of control, for the 7mm/.284 bore. For me, 28 Nosler is perfect and it doesn't wear a belt. I was taught early on, by the Oldtimer's, the what/why of the belt and how to overcome it, it was what it was. When the "Big Brand" beltless magnum cartridge renaissance occurred, I was like, YES FINALLY.

In order for a cartridge to die it has to be alive first, the STW was still born, it never will be old school or out if date because it never was in, the 6.5x55 and 06, still relevant and time proven and factory gun still being chambered in them to date, STW has none of this, being a turd does not make it classic or old school, I shoot a LOT of old school stuff, 45-70, 40-65, 45-90, Lancaster pattern flint lock, rolling block, Sharps, so old school, classic cartridges have time proven appeal and performance and are relevant because of that, the STW has zero of that so no need to stalk every Nosler thread and bring up the donkey turd STW!!
Stalk every Nosler thread? I've stated it twice. Stop being melodramatic.

Your hangup about the STW almost borders on Freudian levels... Why is that? Cartridge-envy?

Oh, and just like the 7mm STW, I'm not going away anytime soon...So you can just get over the fact that many many people still like and shoot the 7mm STW.

I like the 338 rum best really for a mag fed 338. I have a reamer set up with a short throat for 250s to feed in a wyatts. Problem is you cant find brass. The fast RL powders are great for speed, but I like to stay with H1000 for guns.

I was considering a 28 nosler, but reading that guys are only getting 800-900 rounds kinda has me turned off. That's just not enough. I was thinking it would do 1200-1500rds, but I did read it on the interweb

I'd be surprised by a 28 going over 1000 rounds just like any other 7mm in it's class but if it's a gun a guy just keeps tuned up on maybe 50-100 rounds spread through the year it'll go a long time, it's very good in it's place push it out of there and something will suffer.
For long life and packing a wallop the 33 may we'll be a nice performance point with a 250.

I'd be surprised by a 28 going over 1000 rounds just like any other 7mm in it's class but if it's a gun a guy just keeps tuned up on maybe 50-100 rounds spread through the year it'll go a long time, it's very good in it's place push it out of there and something will suffer.
For long life and packing a wallop the 33 may we'll be a nice performance point with a 250.
How much do you think the barrel life of a 28 would be extended by nitriding it?

I really like the 28 Nosler. I just started buying 100 counts of 26 Norma brass and necking up. I figure a barrel is a barrel. If you can afford to reload with 195s and a custom barrel, you can afford a new one.

Would a 33 nosler and 250 class pills gain anything over your 30 nosler and 215s at 3100?
Nope, the BC is very similar between the 2 bullets and the 30 has a 200 fps advantage. Both of those bullets work very well on elk. Personally Im sticking with the 30. I have an edge and prefer the way the 215 works on elk vs the 300 hybrid. A 215 at 3100 is going to be hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.