Opinions on Noslers cartridge family

which nosler cartridge has the best chance of commercial viability?

• Total voters
I was not a fan until the 28 came out. Now I would say my favorite is the 30, but thats because I like the 215 Berger so much. What you get into with opinions is nostalgia, and the, If I have it its the best mentality. These are all tools in my mind and I will drop one in a heartbeat if something better comes along. The reason I like the 28 and 30 Nosler so much is they are the best in their class for what they do. The brass is great, the design of the case is great. Saami chambers give .004" neck clearance. The shoulder and base hardly grow on a new piece of brass, same with the headspace. By far the best fit from new brass to a saami chamber I have ever seen. New brass shoots as good as formed brass. Velocities are great, 28 will max out around 3200 with a 195 and the 30 will max about 3150 with a 215. No belts or the issues that come with them. Short enough to throat out for long bullets and still fit in a magazine. Accuracy that has surprised me and easy to tune. The cases also have the least neck thickness runout I have measured. As good as Lapua 6br cases. I dont care if there was cheaper brass I wouldnt switch. For now they are the best in that size of a case. I dont fall in love with this stuff. Something better comes out and I will be on it. That does not mean a 300 wm is not a good case and it wont do the trick. Its been around a long time. Mostly because it didnt have competition, now it does.
My 28 has accounted for 2 Antelope, 3 Miley bucks, and one Elk this year, flat shooting and accurate.

I am not so sure Nosler did not have some kind of no compete clause with Norma? Norma is selling 26 and I assume 28 and 30 will follow soon. I think we will see Lapua offering some new magnum cases next year. They will offer whats requested most. 28 and 30 Nosler cases made by Lapua would be awesome.

I am in no way trying to be biased here but would love to talk about some of the things I have seen with these chamberings....I dont consider myself an authority on any of this so hopefully I can learn something. :) The 28 nosler barrel I got rid of would get no where near 3200 on the 195,and it was throated long, I did push it to 3150 and it was 1 or 2 and done on that case. I ended up running it around 3050 to 3080.I know that folks are pushing big pressures with the nosler chambers but that is a false marketing tactic in my opinion. when I ran the math and tested the volumes the 28 was around 17 grains smaller ,if my memory serves me, in usable volume than the 7 rum ai I am running now and and the loads I see people running the 28 are only 5 to 6 grains less, somethings gunna give, usually brass. when I look at noslers data they are fairly skewed towards there chambers but I understand that. just look at the 33 Vrs the 338 rum on the 200 grain AB , Nosler list it for the 33 in is own load area on the 180 page at 110% charge with a faster powder (RL19) and they list the rum in the 210 partition area at 98 % with a slower powder (RL22). I just built a 33 for a friend and he used a 9.4 twist proof-research and was wanting to shoot the 185 Barnes but it didn't shoot it well nor the 200 AB, It shoots the 250 Berger really well but it is not getting the same velocity my 338 rum is. he is not loading to their data either if he does he pops the head off the case after a few reloads, Nosler told him that that is common after about 4 or 5 reloads, CRAZY! Head space is .0015 . I though maybe he was bumping the shoulder too much so I had him bring me a few shot cases and some resized cases and he was bumping .001 to .002. I guess my mind wonders what makes the nosler cartridges different to where they load them so much higher pressures, and nosler brass really doesnt handle the pressures different, I have seen them fail plenty on my 28 and this 33

I am not so sure Nosler did not have some kind of no compete clause with Norma? Norma is selling 26 and I assume 28 and 30 will follow soon. I think we will see Lapua offering some new magnum cases next year. They will offer whats requested most. 28 and 30 Nosler cases made by Lapua would be awesome.
Where to get the Norma 26 Nosler cases? I got 1 box of 28 and that's all, using 26 Nosler necked up currently.

I have found 150 fps is chamber finish alone in the 28 Nosler. Different barrels will vary as well. There are a lot of guys running 28s in the high 3100s, the node is about 3180. I ran mine at 3050 because the node was wider and it shot so well, cases would last forever. Case head separation is never normal. It happens when brass moves. It either moves axial because of over sizing or radial because of unsupported/exposed case head. I have hammered these nosler cases hard to the point of hardly holding primers with no signs of head separation. I shot my 30 at 3100 with 215s, no signs of pressure. I would love to chamber a Broughton to see how fast a 30 would run!

I have found 150 fps is chamber finish alone in the 28 Nosler. Different barrels will vary as well. There are a lot of guys running 28s in the high 3100s, the node is about 3180. I ran mine at 3050 because the node was wider and it shot so well, cases would last forever. Case head separation is never normal. It happens when brass moves. It either moves axial because of over sizing or radial because of unsupported/exposed case head. I have hammered these nosler cases hard to the point of hardly holding primers with no signs of head separation. I shot my 30 at 3100 with 215s, no signs of pressure. I would love to chamber a Broughton to see how fast a 30 would run!
I did run 3050 because of the nice node and it shot well there also,on the 33 believe me I was concerned and told him that wasnt normal lol and went over everything on that barrel. it is shooting really good with the 250 berger and rl22 he just killed a 12 point whitetail with it yesterday. he is almost blind so 200 yards is longrange for him :)
earl.jpg earl1.JPG earl2.JPG earl3.JPG

I did run 3050 because of the nice node and it shot well there also,on the 33 believe me I was concerned and told him that wasnt normal lol and went over everything on that barrel. it is shooting really good with the 250 berger and rl22 he just killed a 12 point whitetail with it yesterday. he is almost blind so 200 yards is longrange for him :)
View attachment 84952 View attachment 84953 View attachment 84954 View attachment 84955
What velocity is he getting with the 250? That bullet is awesome for killing stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.