Non-Res. Change in Idaho

Since no one likes tag prices going up, I came up with another idea for nonresidents. Don't allow the purchase of otc tags until after Idahos application period and then have a 5 day waiting period if you applied for a hunt, that probably lessen the demand for tags. Currently I don't think they should be allowed to apply for a controlled hunt if they have purchased an otc tag. That is part of the problem currently.

I don't ever want to see points in Idaho for any draw or tag!

As a resident that applies for sheep, I like the second draw we do in August, gives me a chance to try to get an antelope tag, that I still haven't drew.

I agree with a lot of what you said..

The purchase of any tag by anyone before the new regs are even out is lunacy! OTC tags should not be able to be bought like you said until after the draw period ends.. should be after the second chance if that keep that thing around last two weeks of Aug. time to shizz or get off the pot.

The one thing that I still don't get, tag prices. Why are we so apposed to them costing more than a carton of cigarettes?

Idaho resident prices 2023
$38 combo hunt/fish lic.
$26 deer
$36 elk
$6 control app per if you put in

so less than one tank of fuel, one meal for four people, a new hunting coat, 50 rounds of loaded ammo the list a mile long.

Lets look at the real problem

So with the rising cost's across the board.. people are so against raising tag prices because """that's ridiculous a deer tag shouldn't cost that much""" but wait a sec theses same people will ....
Buy a $1500 season pass for golf plus cart rental and go ten times, to loose $500 dollars worth of balls and break a few clubs🤣
Spend $1000's on prs match fees, ammo, gas, lodging etc. to come home in 154th place in 10 matches they go to all for good practice.🤣
Go out to dinner 4 times a week to find out their cholesterol is through the roof 🤣
buy a $120k wake board boat and go 15 times with an av of $200 bucks in fuel in the boat alone per trip just to have it sit for 8 months out of the year🤣

The list can go on and on.

Listen, It's absolutely none of my business what you spend your money on and frankly i do not care, I'm just trying to make a solid point and put it in perspective.

But yet these same people when they have to charge $26 on their visa for their deer tag its damned criminal these prices their charging for a fricken deer tag these days..

The main problem is most of the people in our hunting society do not put any solid value on our elk deer moose bear antelope etc. they take them for granted and wont put any value on them greater than their least favorite item at the gas station! Which is pathetic.

We need to put a value on our wildlife that represents them to the fullest, to where it makes people stop and think and evaluate if they are hunters and love hunting and the animal they are pursuing, or are just people who like to say they hunt, but would rather be golfing!

I mean come on .. I don't want to drop numbers on this but our wildlife as a whole were damned near wiped out, extinct, notta, gone, never more all for the all mighty dollar, then brought back from the obis and here people sit ,complaining that 26 dollars is to much for a deer tag? It makes me sick.

It is all about the money. Unless they lower tag numbers then i see it about the animals. But if they raffle off same tag numbers then its a money grab which good takes money to make this work. But hopefully they dont do it like oregon. Keep it similar too now. You want sheep thats all you get to apply for. Elk deer thats it too. None of this 8$ too apply for each species so you got better chance of winning lottery tickets. I agree on buy your tag its yours if you dont hunt cool you donated few hundred bucks too conservation and maybe one more animal lives.

It is all about the money. Unless they lower tag numbers then i see it about the animals. But if they raffle off same tag numbers then its a money grab which good takes money to make this work. But hopefully they dont do it like oregon. Keep it similar too now. You want sheep thats all you get to apply for. Elk deer thats it too. None of this 8$ too apply for each species so you got better chance of winning lottery tickets. I agree on buy your tag its yours if you dont hunt cool you donated few hundred bucks too conservation and maybe one more animal lives.
They lowered the tag # for NR res last year I think it was and now they are going to a full on draw for NR's with same #'s.. so i would say the money thing isn't what they are after.. possibly.. other i agree 100%

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with them going for money as long as it goes too use
What would you regard as good use. Wolves are about the only animal above management objectives.

Drawing are about a lotto system of money raising. Doesn't require having a product, just a chance.

Non resident vs resident is an age old scam to divide and conquer.

Nothing wrong with them going for money as long as it goes too use

Agreed. I have no skin in this game currently, Idaho is on the list though. I would like to see states keep it reasonable for residents. The Hunting culture is ever changing. While the opportunities have gotten more abundant, the cost has risen significantly depending on your flavor. I have no problem fleecing NR within reason as it can keep the bs down for those not committed. I'm not saying 30 bucks is unreasonable. Everything is a balance. Our grand parents hunted to put food on the table 70 years ago and now it's 50k to shoot a sheep. As far as comparing the complaining elk hunter 338, agreed. I worked in a bankruptcy firm in my 20's. Half these jackoffs you see with toys don't have a pot to **** in really. It's all relative.

Not really complaining (well maybe a little 😁) but more of trying to shed light and state the situation as I see it in my state that everyone is bitching about. And 99.9% of the bitching and whining is NR's because Idaho is finally figuring out that we are over run and no longer want to be the ****in post for the rest of the union! And most NR's cant handle it or understand why!

I hunt out of state a lot i enjoy the s&^t out of it, and I'm ok with what they set the prices at and the tag allowance for NR's, it is what it is. And if I look at a tag and say "**** that's a lot", i simply don't go there its pretty simple.

Of course the residents should get pick of the litter and i should have pay more honestly! I'm a guest in your state, I don't pay taxes or do business there unless its groceries geta flat tire fixed hotels or whatever, and honestly even when trying I don't spend as much in fuel, food and other as a resident does in a month so there isn't even a comparison.

And I'm with you on the balance thing and agree 100% and in all cases it happens housing, toys, food, wages etc. except when it comes to our wildlife it seems people forget at that point, and only complain when the tag prices go up!

Last edited:
I buy my general deer tag....don't buy an elk tag(haven't been drawn in 8 years)....
...but I also try to get a secondary general whitetail deer tag each year....
I may or may not shoot a muledeer local to my residing area...this year was a 'not'...but I hate whitetail.....ugliest animal God put on earth.....(well..besides a coues deer)......
....but I use my monies as I see fit....
when I head north I stay at hotels in small towns..buy groceries...buy fuel.....last year I spent over $1500 in 6 days....and I'm fine with that....I'm not rich...won't last forever and no plans to overstay my welcome here........
But I don't like to pay PERS.....
Hell...a young girl was selling Girl Scout cookies at the store this evening and I gave her $50 to hand passersby a box to make somebody's day better.....
If you feel the need to bitch&moan about costs......stay home....stay away......
Nobody needs you to be their savior.....