Disappointed in non-resident hunters

I pay more than that to hunt New Zealand and Africa!
Well I mean this in respect but I'm glad your checkbook doesn't speak for all Americans who wish to hunt the same public lands you do. You are most definitely entitled to your opinions and without a doubt I'm glad you are of the minority that has that kind of disposal income. But the majority of the public are not looking to spend 2-3k every year for the opportunity to hunt at home. It's not feasibly possible. Which is why NRs make it possible. We should he thankful for cheap fees and respectful of what's really happening. There are plenty of places to get away from crowds but most people just aren't willing to go there.

If you can afford it, buy your own land and use it as you see fit. Seriously not trying to be snide. NR revenue is 2/3 of the revenue generated by hunters in Wyoming. Residents are only contribute 1/3. I would venture a guess that it would decrease the ability for most hunters to afford a tag driving tag fees much higher. It may be a solution you prefer but many others would not be able to afford this great, healthy pastime called hunting.

NR provide just over 70% of license revenue, which equates to a little over 50% of the total dept revenue.

NR provide just over 70% of license revenue, which equates to a little over 50% of the total dept revenue.
Yeah, but that is a drop in the bucket compared to what us who live here spend on taxes, groceries, land/home purchases, shopping, doctors, vets, etc... 365 days a year.
Our property taxes have more than doubled in three years for our place.

How is floating 50% of the departments annual revenue a "drop in the bucket"? Take that away and it cuts the departments revenue in half. The property taxes and groceries and land purchases made by residents are rather moot to the point being made. I'd venture to guess non of that offers any percentage to the fish and game department. And if it does, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to what NRs fund for fish and game in anyone's home state.

How is floating 50% of the departments annual revenue a "drop in the bucket"? Take that away and it cuts the departments revenue in half. The property taxes and groceries and land purchases made by residents are rather moot to the point being made. I'd venture to guess non of that offers any percentage to the fish and game department. And if it does, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to what NRs fund for fish and game in anyone's home state.

Zero gen funds go to the dept; they were taken away a few years ago (approx 8 million) which prompted the dept to start charging the CC fee we all now pay.

The end result however you slice it is neither the residents, or non residents are getting what we pay for.

Because we keep on with conversations like this.

Care to elaborate?
Divide and conquer has been around since the Greeks at least.

There are examples everyday of how hunting loses opportunity.

Opponents aren't fighting amongst themselves.

This page is 4 years old, 21 pages, 290 posts, collectively besides complain about each other how much would you guess we've done to improve our opportunities.

Divide and conquer has been around since the Greeks at least.

There are examples everyday of how hunting loses opportunity.

Opponents aren't fighting amongst themselves.

This page is 4 years old, 21 pages, 290 posts, collectively besides complain about each other how much would you guess we've done to improve our opportunities.
Point well taken. Except I'll see your divide and Conquer and raise you a strength in numbers. NR are putting out the numbers, both in the field (obviously residents feel it's overcrowded) and in the revenue department. There's no complaining about that, it's just what's happening.

This is a topic that will continue to grow and im sorry to say but i cant see it going in any other direction. This 4 year old thread kinda proves it. I'm not sure that more opportunities will be provided by clearing up the debate of this thread. I'll argue that the ramifications of some of the proposed will reduce opportunities greatly both in the field and the depts reach to provide opportunities for ether side.

I think what's important is that we all recognize each other's stance. We are all NRs in every state we visit besides the ones we reside. This country is open to us all. You pay taxes in your state I'll help fund the fish and game for you. If you want to come hunt my state I appreciate you funding my opportunities to hunt at home! It all shakes out. No matter what happens we will all see bad apples in the group but I agree with you, we should stick together.

Last edited:
Point well taken. Accept I'll see your divide and Conquer and raise you a strength in numbers. NR are putting out the numbers, both in the field (obviously residents feel it's overcrowded) and in the revenue department. There's no complaining about that, it's just what's happening.

This is a topic that I will continue to grow and im sorry to say but i cant see it going in any other direction. This 4 year old thread kinda proves it. I'm not sure that more opportunities will be provided by clearing up the debate of this thread. I'll argue that the ramifications of some of the proposed will reduce opportunities greatly both in the field and the depts reach to provide opportunities for ether side.

I think what's important is that we all recognize each other's stance. We are all NRs in every state we visit besides the ones we reside. This country is open to us all. You pay taxes in your state I'll help fund the fish and game for you. If you want to come hunt my state I appreciate you funding my opportunities to hunt at home! It all shakes out. No matter what happens we will all see bad apples in the group but I agree with you, we should stick together.
Well stated.

I think one thing often missed is this is federal PUBLIC land in many cases. It's paid for with money from the PUBLIC not just residents yet residents act like they own it. Oh wait non residents can no longer go to see the grand canyon or they have to pay more. I get it's a finite resource with high competition. There are no easy answers.

Recent Posts