Non-Res. Change in Idaho

I'm a non-resident that hunts in Idaho. It's basically become a draw anyway, and I totally get idaho residents wanting to protect their hunting. Although I know out of state residents are bringing a lot of money with them (I always certainly leave plenty in Idaho!).

I'm a non-resident that hunts in Idaho. It's basically become a draw anyway, and I totally get idaho residents wanting to protect their hunting. Although I know out of state residents are bringing a lot of money with them (I always certainly leave plenty in Idaho!).
I know a lot of non-residents would prefer this because of the way it has been recently.

As a resident, I'm on the fence about it.

Not any different than most states requiring draw hunts or purchasing thru guides......
...and the fees haven't yet matched other absurd prices......
....but...pay to play....or stay home....

🤣 🤣 🤣 I actually get side aches from laughing at the "its all about money" and "geez they are making it a rich mans sport" and I'm never going to get to hunt anymore" "all they care about is the money" and so on.. It's truly laughable!

Is Idaho's (or any other states for that matter) wildlife worth so little in the grand scheme of things (pricing) that people that don't live here and want to come and hunt MY deer and elk actually complain about a $350 deer tag? And have to put in for it like every other state demands? So in the end they can have a quality hunt experience with less over crowding??? ,,,, OMG say it isn't so Clark!!! ((the over crowding in Idaho is disgusting actually)))..

But yet in the same year after drawing that OVER PRICED $350 deer tag they role up in a $100k ford platinum F350 super duty, pulling a $100k 45 foot fifth wheel and unload a 30k+ jeep or UTV and still complain about the $350 tag they had to draw. GTFOH

DISCLAIMER .. the last bit was satire but yet isn't necessarily untrue .. I've seen it first hand. And you get my point!

If you want to play then pay. If you don't then don't worry bout it, simple.

I do want to play so I pay and I don't complain about out of state tag prices where i want to hunt, they are what they are i cant change it..
I don't hunt them very year and the ones I want to hunt I prioritize If not then wait a year or two or three. Its not hard to get points hunt else where etc.

Last edited:
🤣 🤣 🤣 I actually get side aches from laughing at the "its all about money" and "geez they are making it a rich mans sport" and I'm never going to get to hunt anymore" "all they care about is the money" and so on.. It's truly laughable!

Is Idaho's (or any other states for that matter) wildlife worth so little in the grand scheme of things (pricing) that people that don't live here and want to come and hunt MY deer and elk actually complain about a $350 deer tag? And have to put in for it like every other state demands? So in the end they can have a quality hunt experience with less over crowding??? ,,,, OMG say it isn't so Clark!!! ((the over crowding in Idaho is disgusting actually)))..

But yet in the same year after drawing that OVER PRICED $350 deer tag they role up in a $100k ford platinum F350 super duty, pulling a $100k 45 foot fifth wheel and unload a 30k+ jeep or UTV and still complain about the $350 tag they had to draw. GTFOH

DISCLAIMER .. the last bit was satire but yet isn't necessarily untrue .. I've seen it first hand. And you get my point though!

If you want to play then pay. If you don't then don't worry bout it, simple.

I do want to play so I pay and I don't complain about out of state tag prices where i want to hunt, they are what they are i cant change it..
I don't hunt them very year and the ones I want to hunt I prioritize If not then wait a year or two or three. Its not hard to get points hunt else where etc.
I get your point however its disappointing that Idaho just made it much more difficult for those that don't have a $$ tree in their back yard, not to mention the "Luck" (or most likely lack of luck) of the draw.
Its just one more state that for many will be just out of reach. Myself included, which will put more hunting pressure on other states who at some point will add more restrictions or raise prices of tags. It seems like more than ever, hunters now feel like a salmon swimming upstream in a torrent of regulations, red tape & dwindling chances.

This bill has nothing to do with money. It is coming from the fact that everyone is tired of not being able to get a tag on sale day. They want more equal chances and they think this is the answer.

If it was about money Idaho F&G could keep raising prices on tags until they quit selling out. Sure would be interesting to see how high the tag prices got.

Exactly my thought @idcwby , not about $ but the method used to obtain tags. I would assume all those OTC tag counts (adjusted as needed) will be distributed into the GMUs for use in the draw. The current NR system for OTC is a crap-show and basically a random drawing anyways based on what magical number you get on Dec 1. Hopefully we stay at an open draw, no points / pref / bonus system and this actually will help people to plan. Like for a group hunt with friends and/or family, that is something you can't do now with the current OTC process. If this is based on our Controlled Hunt application would be available for those hoping to travel to our beautiful stay with a group. 100% this and will be reaching out to my representatives

I actually think this will be a good thing. Anyone that has tried to get a general tag the last couple of years knows what a crap show it is. It's definitely not about money. The state will make less because everyone that turned back the general tags only received a 25-75% refund depending on what month they returned them. There's hundreds if not thousands of tags turned back in every year.

This might make the premium units easier to draw if you actually have to pick just one unit state wide. Before you could get a general tag if you were lucky and still put in for any draw.

Exactly my thought @idcwby , not about $ but the method used to obtain tags. I would assume all those OTC tag counts (adjusted as needed) will be distributed into the GMUs for use in the draw. The current NR system for OTC is a crap-show and basically a random drawing anyways based on what magical number you get on Dec 1. Hopefully we stay at an open draw, no points / pref / bonus system and this actually will help people to plan. Like for a group hunt with friends and/or family, that is something you can't do now with the current OTC process. If this is based on our Controlled Hunt application would be available for those hoping to travel to our beautiful stay with a group. 100% this and will be reaching out to my representatives
I wrote my representatives about it. The issue I had was that they could only get a tag through the draw. So, if there are leftover or returned tags, they wouldn't be able to purchase them.

The return tag thing is a joke.. you bought it, its yours.. use it for toilet paper or fire starter .. its not our concern why you were so amped to get a tag. Had to absolutely have it. Took a tag out of some one else's pocket that actually wanted it badly, then turn around and just say " ha ha just kidding, I don't feel like going now"" sorry not sorry, it's yours. Betcha that would make em think before they apply!

Its called planning ahead and actually committing to the state of Idaho. They would most definitely commit and plan ahead for MT NM NV AZ CO etc., Ya know cuzz those are "coveted tags" and worth it!!! Which is what most NR's don't want to do .. they don't want to have to commit to Idaho because its not their first choice, its in fact most likely their back up of their back up choices!

This is why they run in on dec 1 to get a OTC tag in their pocket, then apply for all the other states from Jan to June and if/when the lotto hits For their "Coveted Tag" They simply discard the worthless Idaho tag! And I feel this is why their are so many returned tags, because something better comes along and they can forfeit the tag easy peasy.

Like said before 100% random draw only, point systems don't work. If in dought, look into any state that has point system and the absolute fail its been. If you are just now getting into the points game in states with it in place I'm sorry but its going to be a while.

If there are left over tags from Nr draws they didn't want the **** thing any way. They should be cut out.. NR's obviously thought so little of that unit to not even apply for it. So taking said number away actually benefits the unit if you think about it less pressure.. which in turn will make it better in the long run. Then as demand if and when comes back, they can choose to up the number again. They do it all the time in other states and it works. And also no second drawing chance, let the first one hit and it is what it is.

Being an actual Idahoan born and raised I think our Resident tag pricing should go up also, by a large margin. Everything else in our economy has and we are doing just fine so why cant the value of the tags for our animals? Are they simply not worth it?

I flipping absolutely love my state, But I'm getting so tired of Idaho being the shoulder for every non drawing person to cry on. I'm all for the new changes, It will help everyone a ton! Basically every other state is a draw for the most part anyway and everyone is fine with that, but when Idaho steps up to the plate every one throws a brush fit and the tears start flowing! I don't get it.