Looking for a good all around bullet for .308 win.

Choose 3 bullets you would reccomend for the above described purpose.

• Total voters
I am currently working with the Berger 185 in a 20 inch barrel 308 put together with parts I had laying around. This barrel has an extremely long throat. I have decided to seat the bullets into the lands and so far shot the 175, 185 and 190 Berger bullets with it. I started with my accuracy load of 45g Varget and the 175 bullet. Then 43g Varget and the 185 and 195. All went into the same hole, a .8 group for 13 rounds. I have upped the ante with the 185 and in half grain increments gone up to 45g Varget. These 5 shot went into a .5 group without any pressure signs so now have loaded 5 rounds from 45g Varget to 47g. Need to get to the range to shoot these and see when I start getting pressure signs. All shots were at 100y. I chono'd the initial (43g) shots and got 2571 with the 175's (45g), 2437 with the 185's and 2422 with the 195's. It is interesting to note that all the bullets would have gone into the same hole at 100y had I shot them all at the same time.

Last edited:
Just returned from the range. Shot the 45-47g Varget and the 185 Berger. Still no pressure signs! I'm amazed at this. No ejector marks on the brass (Lapua) no flattening of the primers (CCI large rifle). I should have taken my chronograph but it was raining and I couldn't set it up in the rain. I'm only looking for 2600 f/s for this bullet. I think I'll load up 5 of the 47g charges and chrono them before I do anything else.

I just killed a bunch of whitetails with the 150 grain Interbond Hornady Factory load and placed each bullet at the same location high on the shoulder. Well over a dozen instant kills, neat thing is the critters drop with their white belly hairs facing the shooter every time. Ranges out to 360 yards, most were in the 200-250. Got a double, two instant kills with the high shoulder shot with one bullet - waited till they lined up exact and boom. 165's are fine but so are 150's, maybe not as good for really long stuff but my recent shoot was proof to me that the 150's are very deadly bullets on whitetails. All the meat went to charities, we supplied a lot of hungry people last week.

I think you missed the 5 best bullet choices in your list.

I would have thought you would have included the following:

1.Swift Scirocco

2.Nosler Accubond

3. Barnes XXX

4. Nosler Partition

5. Swift A-frame

Rustystud

From the choices listed in the poll I selected the Sierra Game King Spizter but like others have pointed out, of all the bullets available on the market today and not listed in the poll, my choices would be in order

1st - 168 Barnes TTSX
2nd - 165 Swift Scirocco II
3rd - 165 Barnes MRX
4th - 168 Berger VLD
5th - 165 Swift A-Frame

I think one has to look at Velocity / Terminal impact / BC / Maximum Retention
& sheer "knock down in their tracks" power.

If were talking about a "Whitetail" bullet, realistically "most" manufactures do a decent job producing an all around bullet for this cal. It's up to us as hunters / re-loaders to find the right combination for our rifles and the game we are hunting.

Bottom Line!

A lot of thought needs to go into finding /making that "magic" bullet.

Geography, elevation, temp, terrain, distance and so on play's a vital roll in making the decisions needed for that "all around bullet".

Just one man's opinion!

I am glad we can agree to disagree on bullet performance. I do not think that any J4 jacketed bullets hold together well enough all the time. Target, plinking, and super explosive bullets will kill a deer. But the chances of a non recovery mortal would go up substantially. I like controlled expansion with accuracy. Two holes are better than one. Some of the bullets you listed are quite good and others not so good. Another concern is cooper fouling.

I guess you can't have everything.

Have a great holiday.

Rustystud

Rustystud, Not sure if your referring to my post or not but if you think about it, all bullets have there negativities especially when you consider the ramifications of "LEAD" in you meat and it's impact it has on all living things on this planet, I tend to lean toward the solid copper. The Barnes X line absolutly offers controlled expansion along with accuracy in the right application.
IMO, one must understand COPPER FOULING in order to control it!

I don't wish to start an argument. I shoot my deer in the heart/lungs or head/neck. Lead has not knowingly been part of my diet. I only eat tenderloins and hams. If my memory serves me correct copper is considered a heavy metal that is when it oxidizes and copper sulfate is very toxic. The quantaties one would get over a lifetime of hunting is minimual. You would get more lead from fumes than eating deer meat.

The jist is that I like bonded core bullets with stab swaged copper jackets, partitions and A frames. The solid coppers prior to the tripp shocks were not ductile enough and had preasure issues. I will commend Randy Brooks for his inovation with solid copper bullets.

Rustystud

Last edited:
As a target bullet the 175gr SMK is a good standard, have shoot in two 308's with one hole
results. Varget @ 45gr. Win brass prepped, 210M........
Have shot Mule Deer with the 175gr bullet with one shot results, 350-550 yards, don't feel
that would hunt any bigger game with this bullet...
For bear and elk would go with a bonded bullet or Noslers line of bullets......

When hunting if the hunter has a good broad side shot almost any bullet will provide a killing shot. However we don't always have a perfect broadside shot and if we do we don't always hit exactly where we hold. I have seen thousands of whitetails shot. Including deer with their heart completely exploded that ran 100 yards before expiring. I have always prefered a lung shot over anything else. I have quit eating deer shoulders and wathced keenly at deer shot inthe shoulder. If the shoulder is shot where both shoulders and the spine are effected the deer drop like that were hit by a Kenworth. But if the shot is no spot on the deer is off to the races he will die but in what county. Having personally varvested deer with rifles from 22 rimfire to a 458 Lott I have come to the conclusion controlled expansion bullets give the best overall results. I like a entrance and exit would. The deer dies from physiological, hydrologic, and hemoragenic shock. A deer that can not breath and can not run is a deer that is harvested. Hunting deer in the southeast is much different than hunting in the west. Shots may be much closer but the thick vegetation can provide a hiding place within feet of where the bullet contacts the game. Quick dispatchment is a must both for insured recovery and the ethicalness of the hunt.
Nat Lambeth