Laser Engraving

Anyone have recommendations on a great laser engraver for barrel

Anyone have recommendations on a great laser engraver for barrels?
We use Cloudray Fiber 60W MOPA.
Before you get into Laser Engraving do you research. You will spend $$$$$.$$ on the Laser and accessories and many many hours of training. If you are already using EZ Cad 3 and know it well or changed over to LightBurn there is a lot to learn on the computer program to run the laser. Watch out for the Warranty/Service. Purchasing a Laser from Amazon, E-Bay other retailers may not have a factory Customer Service.
If you want to discuss PM us and we will talk on the phone.
Thanks
Len & Jill

As Len mentioned, if you purchase a Cloudray it is better to purchase from them to receive the full warranty and services they offer to get you up and going. Purchasing it off Amazon will not give you that for a Cloudray laser. There is a lot to learn and can be fun if you take your time to learn and understand it, the MOPA will allow you to do colors on Stainless steel. Before jumping in, I would definitely do your due diligence on educating yourself on the various software you use to operate them, you would need to find out which one you want to use before you order, the correct controller for the OS will need to be setup.

Something else, a 60w MOPA laser using a 300mmx300mm lense area will not have as much strength as one using a smaller area lense. You may want to purchase another lense that will allow a smaller working area. Cloudray has came out with more lasers than when I purchased mine in 2022, they offer some different packages that are stronger, if I had to do it over today I would probably step up to the 100w MOPA

I'm fairly proficient with computing and software so the technical support aspect may not be something that's necessary.

If that was the case, would something from Amazon be adequate?

Something else, a 60w MOPA laser using a 300mmx300mm lense area will not have as much strength as one using a smaller area lense. You may want to purchase another lense that will allow a smaller working area. Cloudray has came out with more lasers than when I purchased mine in 2022, they offer some different packages that are stronger, if I had to do it over today I would probably step up to the 100w MOPA
It is about $1K for every 10w over 60w. (sale price everyday from CloudRay). There is difference between the 60-100W but if you are using the correct lens the 60w can do more than we need cut to 1.5MM.
We are currently using a lens that can engrave a 12"x12" space but extend the time to cut deeper. It all depends on Power, Frequency and Travel Speed. Now if you want to get more involved you can get AR-100 LiteMarker 100W MOPA Split 2.5D which can engrave to 2.0MM.

ATF Rule : Firearm Marking of Serial Numbers have to be at a min depth of 0.003" or 0.0762mm and 1/16" letter size. No problem to use a 60W Fiber laser.

I'm fairly proficient with computing and software so the technical support aspect may not be something that's necessary.

If that was the case, would something from Amazon be adequate?
You can use whatever you may want, if tech support is not something you are concerned about, take the best deal you can get.

So, that is marking requirements for serial numbers, what about barrel markings for cartridge, twist and maker of firearm?
That is for the cartridge also Twist rate and other info optional..

Anyone have recommendations on a great laser engraver for barrels?

Yes.

He's a few miles away from the shop and a marvelous asset for my work.

I call for an appointment, gather up 5 or 6 barreled actions and drop them off first thing at his shop then pick them up later that day. No muss, no fuss, no mess! He's reasonably priced and very detail oriented. While he pays attention to my engraving, I'm producing work.

Simple. Unless you're a dedicated DIY kinda of person and just have to do it yourself.

😊

On another forum some guys have had good results marking barrels with a 40w laser. But marking barrels doesn't have all the ATF requirements.

They've also rolled the dice on ebay lasers from China, but that's a multi-thousand dollar gamble.

Recent Posts