In the Ear? Really???

This sounds like the beginning of a Bromance. Lol lets hope this doesn't form into something like what DJ and pack had going. Every wonder why they seemed to stop visiting around the same time. Hmmm maybe they shacked up somewhere together in Vermont nitting sweaters while staring longingly into each other's eyes.

This sounds like the beginning of a Bromance. Lol lets hope this doesn't form into something like what DJ and pack had going. Every wonder why they seemed to stop visiting around the same time. Hmmm maybe they shacked up somewhere together in Vermont nitting sweaters while staring longingly into each other's eyes.

Ha! NO chance of that happening.

I like hanging out and talking with other hog hunters. Keeps me from getting ****ed off that my schedule does not allow me to get out and go hunting more than I do. I'm on several hog pages quite a few times a day since a big part of me just wants to be outside.

Snox, doesn't it get cold enough up there that it was the reason for them making 2 man stands, so y'all can share body heat???? Unless we are training a kid or novice, we generally don't use them unless we're staying a day or 2 and need the room for a drink cooler.

Do you have many hogs up there. Years ago, my uncle John had a couple hundred acre pig farm in Indiana around Lebanon, Zionsville or somewhere in that area. That was about 50 years ago. John warned me about those hogs and I didn't listen. I picked up a runt, he squeeled, momma was parting the herd, I dropped the pig and momma just about got me as I went over a fence that I'd been standing by the whole time. I listened the rest of that trip.

The next year I got stomped by a horse that had just foaled and while riding her (Sugar) I pushed the foal off of my leg. She threw me into a thissel patch and stomped me real good. I might also mention that the thissel is a little thornier than what we have down here. I never forgot that; they had to pull thissel out of me for what seemed like hours. The rest got infected. They popped out alot easier than the others. My dad,s family was from Whitestown, In.

I had forgotten about most of that until now.

Later, Paul

Ya it tends to get cold up here cold enough we don't have wild pigs. Kinda wish we did so I had something to shoot. Anytime a group gets out from a farm they are cleared out during hunting season. We don't use double stands we use box blinds with heaters so you can get it hot enough that you have to take off your clothes. Lol

We can't do that, the boxs are tooo hot and we have mosquitos that crossbred with turkeys. I think that it has something to do with our deer being so small, they're simi-anemic, but it hasn't been proven.........YET !

Scrambler, Remember that I lived there in '77. I'm guessing that they've evolved since then. Tell Snox (?) about hog hunting at/after dark and don't leave the red bugs out.

There are a few advantages to having real winters. I have been stung by mosquitos during turkey season (April 1 to May 1) near a river IN Columbia, that the diameter of the legs were the size of a quarter or a little larger, and that's not an exageration.

I'm going to stop there since people won't believe it unless they've been through it, Paul

SCPAUL is correct. The mosquitos around here are insane. When I go stand hunting at night, I take 2 thermacel's with me and wear bug spray from head to toe.

The southeast is dealing with the tiger mosquito, which apparently came into the US on a ship from southeast Asia. These **** things have a foot span bigger than a quarter.

Red bugs will annoy the hell out of you as well.

Attachments

• mosquito.jpg
    mosquito.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 54
I hope for your sake that you didn't just have to go outside to get that; and I ain't talking about the quarter.

When I was on a turkey hunt years back, I was wearing a layer of long johns and 2 pair of the 'Nam BDU's which were supposed to reduce the mosquito bites and got stung any place that the layers were all touching, not pulled tight, just touching. It's the only ligitimate justification that I had back then for being a HEAVY smoker!

I kept expecting to run into one that smoked cigars or chewed tobacco. They would drink your beer and mixed drinks. That's why we like shine so well. They go to light their cigarette and burst into flames. Ask my old hunting and afterward drinking buddies, they'll back me up.

I wonder what our state record is on mosquitoes.

Paul

Trying to making sour mash for the hogs. I found a few of these jugs by the company water cooler and thought they would be the perfect container. I added corn, 6 packs of yeast, a 12 pack of the cheapest beer Wal Mart sells, and some water. I shake it once a day, and I'll try pouring it out when the mixture becomes more of a "goo".

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6369.jpg
    IMG_6369.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 50
Looks like the sour mash is working! I'm headed down to the woods tomorrow to put our more mash for a night hunt later this week.

Attachments

• I__02086.jpg
    I__02086.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 52
  • I__02068.jpg
    I__02068.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 65
My wife took over child care duties on Monday night and last night so I could go hog hunting. I shot a small hog last night, but he made it to the thick brush so I didn't lay hands on him.

I got home at 1:30am this morning and checked the trail camera card. I had over 100 photos of a large sounder with some big hogs that were at my spot Tuesday night. I think that I'll need to go out the morning of a planned hunt and put out the sour mash instead of going the day after. I also had about 50 photos of a flock of buzzards eating the sour mash.

Attachments

• I__00116.jpg
    I__00116.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 60
  • I__00171.jpg
    I__00171.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 73
Sorry that I haven't responded to you sooner. I didn't check my mail for a couple of days and yours and several others got lost in the 100+ emails and I'm just now getting down toward the bottom.

I'm glad that the my Dad's old mash recipe is working for you. The fact that a hit one got away means that you need a little more on the receiving end. Of course I've never shot the number of times in one night that you are. Unless you or somebody is eating all of it meat loss isn't a problem. With all that they have had to eat for the last couple of months, they are probably pretty good under 150 lbs.

Have a good one and keep me up on your trips. Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.