In the Ear? Really???

Thanks for the advice!

At work, we have several water coolers. We have a number of old bottles that the bottled water company won't use any more. I'm thinking that I might try these too since they would be pretty easy to move around.

Scrambler, I was thinking that you could set the tank up on a stand tall enough to get what ever you want to transport it in under the spout and use 5 - 10 gal. at a time. What would be good is if you could set up 2 tanks, use 1 and have the other working.

From where you live, which way do you go, south or east? I hadn't thought about it , but my wifes family has hundreds if not a thousand or more acres down around Lake City. It was a plantation, then it became a share cropping farm.

Unless something has changed, they won't let anyone but family hunt, not even guests. That's why I don't think about it. I might get her to call someone and see if anything has changed over the years. I know that another generation owns it now. I haven't been there in 25+/- years.

Thanks, have a good one, Paul

P.S. Thanks for making me think of that.

I hunt in Williamsburg County. Lake City is about a 25 minute drive from my house. I was there a few weekends ago. The downtown area is starting to turn around. I'm always interested in new places to hog hunt!

You on/near the river. I always did think that's one of the prettiest rivers, especially coming in on the south side over the bridge. White sand and black water, unless it's changed since I last saw it 15+ years ago.

I'm told that river has some BIG red breasts and mollies.

Unfortunately I'm not near the river. I'm 3 or 4 miles from the river. I'm looking at a hunt club on the Great Pee Dee River. The club sits low and was flooded for several months last fall during deer season. Not sure if I'll join for next year or not.

There's so much land that is prone to flood in that area that I'd look at a flood plain map and try to get into one of the clubs on high ground (if there is such a thing down there). That way when there's high water the hogs, deer, etc. migrate to those areas. DNR shuts down certain areas here when the Congaree gets much above flood stage, sometimes a fair distance inland.

Low lying ground is an issue for a lot of hunt clubs in the area and is a main reason that the land is with a hunt club instead of being farmed. We don't have much high ground that isn't planted or covered in pine trees.

Go someplace that deals with land owners, farmers, people with land and nice yards and maybe family gardens, bars, hardware stores, farm equipment, church, Rotary Club, etc. and just make some acquaintances and if not them, then maybe some family or friends, are having problems or know someone that is. As many farms as there are around you, somebody knows who is having problems. I'm sure that there's a need for more hunters as bad as the hogs are, or at least around us. We're about 30 or 40 miles from the Savannah River and they come up the feeder creeks and drainage areas. You got a young son that you can take with you when you talk to people. I've got 2 daughters, they started shooting when they were 5 and 6 years old.

My younger one killed a buck on her boyfriends family property. After they used the atv's to get it to the skinning rack, the boyfriend and his dad went to get stuff that they needed. When they got back, it was skinned and the guts were going into the gut bucket. My daughters started helping me clean deer about the same time they started shooting.

By chance you don't have a "Yankee Accent" do you? Just joking or at least that's my tale.

Best to you, Paul

I'm from Tennessee, but since both of my parents were born in Washington State, I never really developed a Southern drawl. I definitely don't talk like a Yankee.

I'm sure I could find a few places to hunt hogs if I asked around. The husband of one of the ladies that I work with has a piece of property that he says is overrun with hogs. He just started working 2nd shift, so no hog hunting until he either moves to management or back to 1st shift. I can't blame him for not letting me hunt his property without even having met me before.

I've got a 14 month old daughter who has not figured out that night time is for sleeping. My wife and I take turns getting up with her, so it is kind of hard to get out right now.

You and your wife need to go out to eat and invite the lady and her husband. If he's not a nerd with coke bottle glass', he probably hunts or fishs, invite him to go with you one night when he's off. Let him hear about/see your night vision equipment. That stuff interests everybody.

They are very nice people. He is just super busy with work right now. They have a 2 year old daughter, so they don't have much free time. He's expressed interest in using my NV toys, so I'm sure he will get us out there as soon as he can.

Sounds like he'll come around.

If you get down around Columbia or this direction, let me know and maybe we can get together at Micky D's, Waffle House, etc. or something like that.

Later, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.