Hunting optic….strict $300 and 28 ox weight limits

A touch over budget at $419 but a great scope (durable, tracks well, glass well above its price range).

I love this optic. It just never checks quite enough boxes when I go to buy it. I may buy one to try!
The SWFA HDs are excellent scopes for the money; I have the 5-20 on my .300 WSM. As I noted in #42, you might want to consider https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/epl4-4-16x44-ffp-moa-vhr

1670935986201.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
Please don't confuse the OP:cool: with the person the OP is helping!o_O

The OP understands the value of putting money down on a mid range optic in terms of reticles, ffp, durability, holding zero and just going where dialed! Glass can add value too, but just holding zero and moving the dialed amount are worth so much in an aiming device.

On the other hand, the OP finds himself helping people that do things like adjusting "zero" a couple clicks every time they go shooting with the same ammo without concern for the optic. Some people fail to understand the differences between a $100 aiming device and $300, $600, $1000, $1500, etc.

Thanks for all this help. I'm going to make a list of alternative so the gift receiver has a preprepped list of exchange options!
Understood. My Statement was not an intent to belittle - or a judgement on the budget, it was merely a look at the recommendations and broadening spread of them. We often forget that while bigger may be better - in terms of tube diameter...it is not everything. Glass, and mechanical reliability are my priorities. So - because I cannot put hands on everything...I trust Doug @ Cameralandny.com ( gr8fuldoug). Have bought a LOT of optics from him. And never been steered wrong.

Referencing the 34mm scope recommendation.

Now we are talking! Heck - that is tempting for me to try at the price. Tellme - are these rings machine for forged? In other words...do they need lapping? I ask because I will spend money for rings that do not need lapping - vs lapping cheap rings. Just me....
Mine did not need lapping. Many times lapping is not the result of the ring but is the receiver or rail they're getting mounted on. That being said, I bed most of my rails and also the rings sometimes. I've never lapped a ring yet and don't plan on it. I've had excellent results bedding them (only ever 2x) when needed. Both accomplish the same. This is another thread though.

Last edited:
I'm posting this for a little help for a friend. Basically looking for a scope to top a basic hunting rifle. This person can shoot to 600, but would never shoot longer than 400 on game and more likely 250 or less. The game is open country mule deer and antelope. Caliber is 6.5 Creedmoor.

Budget is $300
Weight limit is 28oz max. Would prefer 22oz or less

To me, the most important thing is it maintains zero and can be adjust to zero quickly and logically…no turret tapping, dancing or praying to more it 2 clicks!

So, what scope do I recommend. Person likes Leupold(even though the last one won't hold zero for poo) and loves his last Vortex Viper.
What are the friends current interests? More of a hunter, or more of a shooter? Dialing or hold? What brand will not nag at them as they look at it in the field while waiting for game? Our family hunts the same game with likely 300 yard or less shots. We shoot traditional calibers with for-caliber flat shooting loads, .243, 6mm rem, .25-06, 7mm-08, 7mm rem mag, .30-06, .300 win, and .375 ruger. All guns are sighted in dead on at 250. All duplex reticle 1" tube scopes except me. No one dials but me. Our gear in that price range would be 3-9x40 Leupold's. None of them newer than 2012. 50% of which have been back to Leupold for full rebuild! In fact, just added a used Winchester featherweight in 7mm-08 for this season and it wears a 3-9x40 gloss Leupold that I bought for $100(it was fogged up), immediately sent to Leupold for service $12 shipping. 2 weeks later we have a scope, after sight in and ~40 ish rounds practice that we can reasonably trust as much as any scope in our minds. I've sent 5 back to Leupold over the last 35 years, but never had to send one back twice! For me it's part of the lead time getting gear ready for everyone to hunt.

We do have 1 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield II that has been very reliable. Other than that we have Zeiss Conquest, Cabelas Instinct(Meopta), and I have a compact and a full size Nightforce.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. Cheap scope with a ton of features is going to end up a broken scope with no good warranty. The best suggestions I've seen here are the Burris or the Sightron, which is my suggestion. Keep it simple, beware forum experts with no real time on the product. I gave my STAC to a pal who used to manage Jarrett Rifles. It sits on his 6.5x47 and he loves it. Either get a common sense product at that price point or wait until you can afford better.
What do I know? I'm about to put a mk6 3-18 on a spare parts rifle. 😂

Edit: I ran that STAC on a rifle out past 800y on steel. Hunted dawn/dusk and engaged 4 animals at distance. Always tracked, always clear, great turrets and mag ring. Reticle was easy to use For holdovers on game out to 350 or so. Very light. Great warranty.
I used to run an S3 10-50 on my FTR many years ago. Broke it and had it repaired within two weeks. Same for an S3 1-7.

Last edited:
The Fullfield E1 4.5-14 is my favorite budget scope so far. I use the Ballistic E3 one for simple holdover/BDC. The other one that I like is the Bushnell Engage 3-12 Deploy MOA. Doesn't have a zero stop, but has push/pull turrets. The S Tac that @gr8fuldoug recommended looks to check most of the boxes I'd be concerned with.

This is ridiculous. Cheap scope with a ton of features is going to end up a broken scope with no good warranty. The best suggestions I've seen here are the Burris or the Sightron, which is my suggestion. Keep it simple, beware forum experts with no real time on the product. I gave my STAC to a pal who used to manage Jarrett Rifles. It sits on his 6.5x47 and he loves it. Either get a common sense product at that price point or wait until you can afford better.
What do I know? I'm about to put a mk6 3-18 on a spare parts rifle. 😂

Edit: I ran that STAC on a rifle out past 800y on steel. Hunted dawn/dusk and engaged 4 animals at distance. Always tracked, always clear, great turrets and mag ring. Reticle was easy to use For holdovers on game out to 350 or so. Very light. Great warranty.
I used to run an S3 10-50 on my FTR many years ago. Broke it and had it repaired within two weeks. Same for an S3 1-7.
D0D39D7A-9D26-4504-9132-70630F955E5D.png

Run the Vortex diamondback tactical. 4-12x40. Super simple, falls under that price point, backed by the industry's best warranty (I've used it and the C.S. is legit.) The 4-12 will get you out to 1,000 for sure. Weighs in at 16.2oz. I put this scope ony grandfather's 6.5 creedmoor 3 years ago, it works well enough.

Have your freind put that 300 in a coffe can. then have him go to all his local pawn shops find a cheap second hand scope that works good and keep adding money to the coffe can for a better caliber of scope that he realy wonts.

Sightron S-Tac 3-16X42, good deals at $250 & less. Happy with both of mine.

23.3 OZ - 30 mm tube, big adjustment knobs - not a lightweight scope - more than adequate optics - some complaints about the MOA 3 reticle being too fine for bad light but duplex reticle is available. Looks sort of hefty & clunky.

Last edited: