Hunting optic….strict $300 and 28 ox weight limits

Seems like the problem today is tracking--- I'm wondering if it's always been a problem but with today's long range shooting-- and internet info-- I'm thinking more people are actually either dialing or checking tracking--- I'm guessing 40-50 years ago lots were just doing a "set ot and forget it" and hunting at 300y and closer and using "Kentucky windage" for adjustment
You are exactly right. I am almost certain that he problem with my old Burris and leupy scopes is they used a non-synthetic, stiff grease in the adjustment mechanisms, because they will move one way just fine but not move back the other way. This tells me they're moving under screw pressure since they are forced to but when asked to move back with the spring, the grease has become too old and stiff to let it move freely.

As you put it- because of long range shooting, modern scopes have to track perfectly up and down and because warranty 'not tracking" problems have shown their head so prevalently now, quality scope manufactures had to find a lubricant that stays viscous at low temp and over long periods. That, and stronger springs.

I figure burris went with the posilock thing way back in the day because of this very reason.

I agree. The tracking thing is weird. Scopes used to not hold zero well or move in the correct increments. That was often just accepted.

I remember being taught to adjust, bang on turret, repeat until zero's! If you hit close to your aim point ….good enough.

Maintaining zero and adjusting by the correct increments should not be open for interpretation, but as you see, even that seems to pull in many opinions. This is truly the pain in the but part. If you feel like your optic is a pita at all and cannot put your finger on it, this is it. If your zero moves without a change in ammo, or drastic weather change, there's your sign!

Glass is another thing. Honestly, when comparing $300 optics I like to $2000 optics I like, I don't see a night & day difference. There is a difference, but no where near the change from $100 to $300. Let's say you want the best glass, why? Are you aiming or spotting with it?

Turrets are odd too. There are many turrets that adjust well enough to zero, but way fewer that can drive the reticle around reliably enough to shoot 500+ yards. I find some makers offerings odd in that they put features on a turret like you can drive it all over, but then the turret is not reliable enough to actually do that!

Reticle is funny too. Often folks don't think about this enough. A reticle is fixed, meaning if the scale has a 4 mil line, it will always be the same. Meaning, even if it is 3.9 mil actually, it won't vary day to day! Why don't more 3-500yd shooters use the reticle? Fast, yep. Reliable, yep. All you need is a scope that holds zero! Still many/most refuse to shoot off the reticle!

All this said, in all my time shooting, I rarely see scopes over $500 at the range. Have seen a few. Once saw an ATACR(higher magnification) on an 8" 300 blackout at the 100yd line!
L O L. Well, that wasn't me. And once again, Arken offers a lifetime warranty and a tracking guarantee!
49CFCEA8-CC1A-4D41-B153-F1610970D328.jpeg
CD522AF2-8D00-4ED1-AA8B-D60CDD9FF5BB.png
The only thing the scope is less than the others is in brightness.
49CFCEA8-CC1A-4D41-B153-F1610970D328.jpeg

The only thing the scope is less than the others is in brightness.

...And thus, my curmudgeonly ramble earlier. :DMy eyes - have given me trouble due to shrapnel/permanent crease in my skull...eye surgeries, etc - and now...cataract development. So - brighter glass is more important to me, for hunting. Range rifles....not so much of a big deal. The user, and the usage are important in finding the scope for the gun for the use intended .

...And thus, my curmudgeonly ramble earlier. :DMy eyes - have given me trouble due to shrapnel/permanent crease in my skull...eye surgeries, etc - and now...cataract development. So - brighter glass is more important to me, for hunting. Range rifles....not so much of a big deal. The user, and the usage are important in finding the scope for the gun for the use intended .
I understand just keep in mind I'm comparing a $2600 scope to a $300 scope and there is not $2300 of difference.

Get the Burris, set the rest aside and save up more money. If your friend is at all serious about hunting, I can't think of a $300 scope that I would be hunting mule deer and antelope out to 400 yds with much less punching paper at 600 yds and meeting all of the requirements but its not something I do everyday. If he can walk out his back door and kill mule deer and antelope, I would not worry about it. For people like me who have to wait years to draw tags, drive long distances, and spend allot of money, I would not put my trust in a $300 scope. Its almost a guarantee that he won't be happy in the long run and will end up saving his money and buying something better. Even better if he does not need it immediately, save up a few more months and add a couple hundred more to it. Then again, I am a little bit of a scope snob but not nearly to the degree of others.
To add to my page 5 post, the only scopes I take on a paid hunt are one of two Nightforce options I own. If I couldn't take a Nightforce, it would be the Zeiss Conquest or the Cabelas Instinct(Meopta), both 3-9x40, both bought for under $300 and that would mean I would NOT be dialing on said paid hunt. Of course, when money is available to go on paid hunts, it would make sense that more money is available to take a nicer scope.

To add to my page 5 post, the only scopes I take on a paid hunt are one of two Nightforce options I own. If I couldn't take a Nightforce, it would be the Zeiss Conquest or the Cabelas Instinct(Meopta), both 3-9x40, both bought for under $300 and that would mean I would NOT be dialing on said paid hunt. Of course, when money is available to go on paid hunts, it would make sense that more money is available to take a nicer scope.
I have the same cabelas instinct meopta. Today, if you found either of those scopes (zeiss and meopta) brand new in box, they would sell for $500 or more. There is a used zeiss conquest 3-9x40 on ebay right now for $599.

Another possible option for the OP is to buy used. I have gotten several really nice scopes used for a really good price. Look on forums like this one as well as ebay. Cameraland has some good demo deals, SWFA has the samplelist and EuroOptics has great deals every once in awhile. MidwayUSA had good deals on scopes in their Sales and clearance section.

I understand just keep in mind I'm comparing a $2600 scope to a $300 scope and there is not $2300 of difference.
I completely understand your evaluation of cost/benefit. That is really what I am saying tho…. Each individual makes that assessment based on his needs, eyes, condition of use - and a lot of other individual factors that for me may cause me to be convinced one scope is good…. and another not so good. Truthfully, if your eyes are as bad as mine- you might believe that a Tangent Theta is the only way to go for first light/last light shots. But if your eyes are better and you are not going to in position waiting for legal light to shoot….. you might think something much cheaper is "just as good"- and there are no wrong or rights in that . Only what is best for YOU and you eyes, needs, method and time of day you hunt etc.
Now….. for me in the "occularly challenged" category of hunters….. I need the best glass made. It matters for my vision. But I completely understand that is not the way others might "see it"….😊.

I have several sightrons, pay attention to the reticle for hunting, some are great in high light but hard to see in low light(duplex), I had trouble seeing the cross hairs, for hunting get the one that is illuminated, worth the extra money. There are a lot of options and the glass is great with 30mm tubes the ring options are plentiful and reasonably priced, 70 MOA of windage/elevation for the money it's hard to beat 'em, they have been on sale a lot at midway and eBay…

Be careful on the illuminated reticles - some of them do not dial down low enough - and so they wash out the sight picture. If you can find - and I doubt it in he budget range we are looking at - a "fire-dot" style of illuminated reticle as Leupold has popularized, it is easier for your eye to adjust to the dot and it does not over-light the target.

I have two Sightron scopes I bought from Doug.They are very underated and give you value of a much more expensive scope.You might also look at Meopta Optika 5`s.

I have the scope on my .30 Gibbs and, thus far, have no issues. My only issue with it is the short eye relief, but it is OK for my intended purpose.

View attachment 417124
View attachment 417126
You were right on with your assessment of the eye relief. I just received mine and I'm (so far) thrilled with the compactness and light weight. It's going on a lightweight 6XC build on a commercial Mauser action that I have yet to receive. I'm hoping for total weight around 6.0-6.5#. I can see from your mount setup I'm going to have to use a picatinny rail, too.

This is ridiculous. Cheap scope with a ton of features is going to end up a broken scope with no good warranty. The best suggestions I've seen here are the Burris or the Sightron, which is my suggestion. Keep it simple, beware forum experts with no real time on the product. I gave my STAC to a pal who used to manage Jarrett Rifles. It sits on his 6.5x47 and he loves it. Either get a common sense product at that price point or wait until you can afford better.
What do I know? I'm about to put a mk6 3-18 on a spare parts rifle. 😂

Edit: I ran that STAC on a rifle out past 800y on steel. Hunted dawn/dusk and engaged 4 animals at distance. Always tracked, always clear, great turrets and mag ring. Reticle was easy to use For holdovers on game out to 350 or so. Very light. Great warranty.
I used to run an S3 10-50 on my FTR many years ago. Broke it and had it repaired within two weeks. Same for an S3 1-7.
Isn't s-tac chaeper than arkens? With more middle men? Let see, Arken/China to Texas,Texas to me.
OK......S-tac/China parts to Phillepinoland to USA distributor to say your favorite shopping place,then to you, at a cheaper price than Arken,I'll use good math and take the Arken,Arken ansewrs a phone and email ,Sightron doesn't,been there.I do use sightron sII and sII.