How to stay dry and warm during deer season?

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.
No substitute for dryness. I have hunted waterfowl in extreme conditions and packed into high country. Layering with good rain gear. I have used many brands and options and won't mention names but I will tell you buy once and cry once and layer. You can add or subtract underneath. But good rain gear is essential for me such as a shell. Presently we run Sitka rain gear and have had good luck with it.

Recent Posts