How to stay dry and warm during deer season?

98s1lightning

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.

That's always the battle with rain gear. Trying to stay dry and still walking/hiking in the rain/snow.
I've used all there is for rain gear.
Breathable gear will fail after 3-4 years of hard use.
I have pieces that cost over 500$ each. They failed in the timeframe above.
The best value for performance vs. money is Helly Hansen gear.

I'm guessing you don't own the property and not allowed to build or bring a enclosure. And the fabric pop up works well. If you know it going to rain the pop ups are lite weight and only take a few minutes to, but wind can be a problem.
I'm at the stage ( age ) that I have enclosures built. Like mentioned above even the hy end clothing fails after a few years. My go to years ago was a plastic poncho, they cost a couple dollars and they work. Hope this helps.

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.
Pick your poison. Finding something that is awesome and cheap is probably the tough part. If you're on the move all day and it's pouring rain, sweating is gonna be a factor. Multiple layers and a packable shell jacket with some pit vents will keep you pretty comfortable in a lot of conditions. I prefer light merino wool base layers and wool or microfiber pants and jacket that breathe and dry quick. Save the waterproof for just a shell that can pack away when you don't need it. Cheap stuff just has a coating that won't last. Waterproof membranes last but aren't gonna pack as small and cost more. A down puffy coat packs away great and will keep your core temp up. Having soggy pants sucks but keeping your core warm is more important. I also live in a high and dry climate so things dry out quick compared to more humid places.

I also hate to buy $500 raingear only to hope i dont need it. My wife says im tight....i like to say ...im thrifty. Lol. I've found the huntworth rain gear ($50) to be awesome. Kinda lightweight. I bring 2 pairs. If one gets wet i let them dry in camp...carry the other the next day. Works for wet and windy. Been a lifesaver so far

You can buy a fairly lightweight, packable poncho that will keep you dry when it rains. It could even go over your pack or partially cover your rifle if the sky really lets loose.

When bowhunting, I always carried a tree mountable umbrella if rain was possible. That thing worked great whenever needed. I used it when bear hunting from treestands too. As soon as you see that rain is immanent, just pop it up and hunker down.

Ya I'm thinking a couple hunter orange throwaway ponchos

Maybe a good "no rip" hardshell.....idk if thats a thing hahaha
I imagine that to be a heavy vinyl/rubber; hard to pack along

I admire/wonder how these guys hunt thr ME, VT mountains, chasing bucks for miles in the wet snow and stay warm. I just don't get it. Have to keep watching their shows/blogs.

I read The koppen climate map where certain western mountain states are a "dry cold climate" whereas the Northeast is a "humid" climate

I never been West so idk what the mountains are like

I know wherever you are a winter day is long and cold when there's NO SUN. That's universal. 😉

This is how you stay warm and dry no matter what the condition. The little woman has health issues gets cold . These photos are before the r13 and osb on was installed. The was moved and raised on a 8ft high platform

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_132946674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200906_132946674_HDR.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200912_130305240.jpg
    IMG_20200912_130305240.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 37