Packing light but warm

John99

I have a question on what you guys/girls are using for packs and how you pack for cold to ultra cold weather, not necessarily K2 climbing.. I just got a Mtn Hardware sleeping bag forget the name momentarily but it packs down to about 5x11 but is super warm rating down to 20's, Just curious what all anyone uses for their backpacks, tents, sleeping gear to minimize bulk/weight. thank you.

I have two sleeping bags:

3 SEASON BAG-> 30 F. Wesern Mountaineering Megalite down bag (overstuffed by WM to +20 F.) (Thermarest ProLite mattress)

WINTER BAG-> LL Bean -20 F. down bag with Down Tek DWR treated down for moisture repellancy. Brand new and great attention to detail.(Thermarest Trail Pro mattress)

Eric B.

P.S. I am looking into a Big Agnes insulated mattress for winter at Len's suggestion.

That is about what I'm doing. a general blanket/wool from late spring to fall w/tarp , then I have a winter bag (North Face Wintun) with a thermarest pad. Like I mention I just got a new bag that packs down lite and is moderately warm but I havent got into really cold conditions (below 30) yet. I typically go minimalist so I'm looking at ideas to go liter, whether hunting or just backpacking. I 'm looking at some paks too, Kifaru, KUIU, etc.

John,

I can take my 20 F. Megalite down bag to 10 F. with medium weight poly long johns and a light down jacket and pants or light synthetic jacket and pants.
I'm sure you can extend the range of your new 30 F. down bag to 15 F. with insulated jacket and pants.

Of course I wear heavy wool "sleeping socks" and a light polyester balaclava as well.

Eric B.

Thanks for the replies, I will check that site out... I am planning to get some wool items as well, the wool L-johns at Duluth's.. I am also checking out some insulated water bottles, brands to note: Yeti, Hydro Flask, Camelbak, Klean kanteen. . thanks again!

Bill,

Thanks for posting the link to BPL. I'm a life member and have been a member since 2005 when I found the site and became "enlightened". (pun intended) It's an excellent site with all types of backpackers from "normal" UL like me to the SUL extremists. But it's the SUL boys that pioneer the way to ever lighter gear.

I'm a regular contributor there and am know as a "Tarptent supporter". ;o)

When I moved to Nevada from Pennsylvania I had a Dana Designs 7 1/2 lb. Terraplane. Great pack but waaay too heavy. I now carry an Osprey EXOS 58 at 2+ lbs., my 3rd UL pack and the most comfortable.

I still have my Terraplane but it's only for winter backcountry use when I carry more bulky items and need its big volume.

John,
I suggest you join BPL (yearly or lifetime) for the good info on many topics from gear to routes to food & cooking. Or just lurk and read the posts. To read the full articles you need a membership.

Eric B.

DSCN2001.jpg

well, thats west branch. just testng, but thank you for the site, I am checking it out... Cheers!

Last edited:
Bill,

Thanks for posting the link to BPL. I'm a life member and have been a member since 2005 when I found the site and became "enlightened". (pun intended) It's an excellent site with all types of backpackers from "normal" UL like me to the SUL extremists. But it's the SUL boys that pioneer the way to ever lighter gear.

I'm a regular contributor there and am know as a "Tarptent supporter". ;o)

When I moved to Nevada from Pennsylvania I had a Dana Designs 7 1/2 lb. Terraplane. Great pack but waaay too heavy. I now carry an Osprey EXOS 58 at 2+ lbs., my 3rd UL pack and the most comfortable.

I still have my Terraplane but it's only for winter backcountry use when I carry more bulky items and need its big volume.

John,
I suggest you join BPL (yearly or lifetime) for the good info on many topics from gear to routes to food & cooking. Or just lurk and read the posts. To read the full articles you need a membership.

Eric B.

Eric, Life member as well. BPL changed backpacking for me. Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.