How to stay dry and warm during deer season?

When backpacking, it's best to stay in the tent as much as possible and wait it out. It sucks. It's boring. You lose days on the hunt, especially if you have limited time out of state.

Frog toggs is primarily the best bet for weight and affordability. It's basically tyvek if you're familiar with building supplies and underlayments. It's not always the most durable. Gortex is the next thing. It's heavier and more expensive.

Just FYI not all gortex technology is equal.

High quality rain gear is just that. It's sucks to pay for it but I told myself many years ago that I would never be caught unprepared. In my experience, nothing really keeps you dry like plastic/rubber though. Rain sucks!!! If youre not wet from the outside you will usually get wet from the inside if youre doing any hiking. This then leads to a miserable wet day. Like others have said I usually hunker in when theres that inclement of weather happening. Of course this is hard to do depending on geographic location. But generally I wait stuff out.

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.
For your feet in the muck boots. Try wearing a pair of polyester socks under your cotton or wool socks. I heard pantyhose work well but I could never find the feminine side of me to try them. lol

I normally hunt with a decent size pack with a set of dry clothes. The sad truth is that when it comes to rain, there seems to be a point where it doesn't matter what you have on you will get wet. If it is raining hard all day, your screwed. I like to hunt places where I know I have some sort of shelter scattered around. Even if it is heavy concentration of pines.

High quality rain gear is just that. It's sucks to pay for it but I told myself many years ago that I would never be caught unprepared. In my experience, nothing really keeps you dry like plastic/rubber though. Rain sucks!!! If youre not wet from the outside you will usually get wet from the inside if youre doing any hiking. This then leads to a miserable wet day. Like others have said I usually hunker in when theres that inclement of weather happening. Of course this is hard to do depending on geographic location. But generally I wait stuff out.
💯. Good rain gear is worth every penny. It's the one thing I buy that I hope I never have to use. Watch the forums and get a good set secondhand. That's pretty much how I got all my gear. I got a set of Sitka storm front for about a 1/3 the price of new.

Last edited:
I also like to add that Merino wool is a game changer. The way it keeps you dry when your pushed hard to cover ground is amazing. I wear nothing but Merino wool socks now, every day. They make light ones for the summer. I also wear nothing but Shinesty underwear. They have a true ball hammock, not the imitations from Hanes and Duluth. They keep you from having skin on skin contact and the material is so comfortable. I know it sounds goofy but I am 100% serious. Shinesty all the way.

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.
I hope this helps First of all good boots. I don't care if you buy rubber or leather good boots that don't leak and will keep your feet warm. If you buy leather, gators that breathe, if they make you sweat, they're no good. For pants and a jacket, the cheapest way to go would be to by carhartt pants and a jacket. A product called "Star Brite waterproofing" it's a marine product for sales and such it works extremely well, 2 or 3 medium coats, let it dry. No odor your clothing will breathe as normal water will bead and roll off and it doesn't wear off. You'll have to wash it off in 2 or 3 washings doesn't hurt the clothing. And before anybody says anything? Yes, when applying it, it has a nasty odor, apply it outside if possible your misses will kick your backside if you do it in the house in. In 6 to 8 hours depending on the type of garment and how heavy you apply it, It will be dry and no odor. And if you're the type of person that likes a hood, make sure that the hood and seems and shoulders are well done. Myself I wear a stetson 10X beaver.naturally waterproof. This keeps the snow and rain from going down my neck.It also leaves my ears open so I can hear things. This is how I've been dressing for probably 30 plus years. It works well. I stayed dry. I don't work up too much of a sweat. And if it's cold and really wet the outer jacket that I wear is a oil skin. I hope this helps good luck. The star brite is a good product.

For the price of a good rainsuit you can buy a pop up blind or 2 and a buddy heater. I've grown old and like ground blinds a lot. Ground blind,heater,chair, deadshot,and a thermos of coffee. Good for all day!
Truth the Critter speaks, much wisdom.

Waterproof bibs and parka. If it's really cold, put a handwarmer in the inside pocket of the sweats or pants you are wearing under the bibs. Same with putting a handwarmer in the pockets of your chamois shirt. 4 of those handwarmers will go a long ways to keeping you warm when sitting in a ground blind in single digits.

Last edited:

Recent Posts