How far would you shoot at deer with 3006

For some unknown reason I didn't keep the papers so I can't say or recall how groups were just kept the best one . I never shoot at anything over 400 and wouldn't without lots of practice and 110% sure of the shot .i was just wanting some input on if 13 inch at 800 was ok or if I need to tweak something . I did have a 5 mph cross wind had to hold 14 inches so Iam thinking I could do better with practice

How far would you shoot for clean kill on a deer with 30-06 168 Berger vld 2880 fps shoot a 13inch group at 800 yards consistently has around 1000 pps left at 800 yards
All conditions good

Judging by the group size I am guessing you are shooting a factory gun/chamber. VLD's can be tough to get accurate in some factory guns.

I would look at changing to Berger's new Classic designed bullets. I think you will get better accuracy and can then stretch it out further.

The '06 and the 168 grain bullets are a good match so just work on your group size, then lots of practice!

Good Luck.

Scot E.

So what is the except able group at 800 with out trying to hard it shoots under 1/2 all day at 100 yards. It's got a costum barrel pillar and glass beded fine tuned by a gunsmith. Thought .4 would be ok for high powered gun or do I need to go back to drawing board
I'd say you're already doing better than 99% of shooters which in my book means you probably don't need to go back to the DB.

So what is the except able group at 800 with out trying to hard it shoots under 1/2 all day at 100 yards. It's got a costum barrel pillar and glass beded fine tuned by a gunsmith. Thought .4 would be ok for high powered gun or do I need to go back to drawing board

To answer the "how far" question...It depends... not on caliber and cartridge, but shooter, rifle, load and bullet performance. Assuming I have accuracy, I would use the minimum opening velocity of the bullet as a general guide, and that depends on a lot things.

As for the "accuracy issue" in quote above... I personally don't like using 100 yd groups to evaluate a load. It's OK for initial load development, but after I have an idea of what looks promising, I shoot 200 and 300 yd groups. These still won't necessarily tell you how good your load is for LR. If you have high velocity spread in your load. your groups may be very good close in (showing the shooter and rifle capability) but will open up far out, usually seen in vertical stringing.

I also personally do not trust chronys to give me anything other than very general info to work with as a base. I confirm and adjust with actual drops.

Pick a good day with good conditions and shoot some longer groups to evaluate your load. If it opens up I would try different powders and/or primers.

You might search for ladder testing threads, i think there might be a sticky somewhere.

Mark

How far would you shoot for clean kill on a deer with 30-06 168 Berger vld 2880 fps shoot a 13inch group at 800 yards consistently has around 1000 pps left at 800 yards
All conditions good

Oh boy! When I first saw this post I thought...."this is gonna be a goodie"! I'm wondering how many are gonna say 500 yds. is max!!:D

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but I seem to remember some 1000 yd. scores from Camp Perry back in ancient times before computers and special barrels/scopes/bullets, etc. where some shooters were winning with 8" and 10" groups. And I did see a USMC Master Gunnery Sargent, using military Springfield '03 place 5 shots inside 10" at 800 yds using USMC match ammo. That ammo was basically 165 gr BTs at about 2750 fps. Oh, BTW, he was using the original '03 peep sights.

Find the load your gun likes the best, using the highest BC bullet it will shoot best, and using a 48" wide x 72" tall target,and the same point of aim,(place your aim point at the top 2" of the target) start at 100 yds, move it to 200, then, 300, etc. until you get to the distance where you are unable to hold your shots within the potential lethal area of the intended game (deer = 12", elk = 16", moose = 18", etc). That's the max range you should consider, anything else is a crap shoot, you miss or wound and not recover the animal.

And remember, practice, analyze, and then practice a lot more. Don't be too quick to start making wholesale changes until you are certain sure that changes are necessary.

Just a quick note/idea - did your smith check the crown on your barrel?

best of luck,

Rick

Thanx rick for the Sound advice
I don't think a 30-06 is whimpy for anything we can shoot in North America. If I ever need anything bigger I can always use my 50 cal . Yes crowns ok

Oh boy! When I first saw this post I thought...."this is gonna be a goodie"! I'm wondering how many are gonna say 500 yds. is max!!:D
The 06 has been killing med-large game beyond 500 yards for decades before the magnums were even a thought.

My dad's first Elk was a one shot DRT kill on a HUGE buck at over 500yds shooting the old 180gr Remington silvertips.

This was after his brand spanking new super cool 700bdl 7mm Mag with a really nice Swaro on it was rendered useless due to a fogged up scope.

The old 760 with it's original K4 weaver did the job just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.