Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 1000 yards

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • More than 1000 yards

Votes: 91 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clark

Broadside grazing at dawn, no wind, and you are prone.

And you believe there is a 90% chance the shot will kill the deer quickly.

That is why I go on the hill to the range just about every day and shoot 6-8 shots at the 1000 yd target , then on down the ridge looking for groundhogs. Different wind, different light, different temperature, practice about every day and pretty soon you will pass on the 90% chance and will be confident of a 100% chance of a kill shot!

That is why I go on the hill to the range just about every day and shoot 6-8 shots at the 1000 yd target , then on down the ridge looking for groundhogs. Different wind, different light, different temperature, practice about every day and pretty soon you will pass on the 90% chance and will be confident of a 100% chance of a kill shot!

What you said +1.....

500, for now. my best LR kill so far was a 4x4 mulie, 1 shot @ ~450 yds at 30deg incline, 165gr factory core-lokt in my buddy's Rem 700 -06 (I had left my own rifle behind :-/ )

I have been comfortable shooting 500 yds at paper for quite some time, but just began reloading and learning to tune my Howa 1500 -06 a few months ago.

I'm sure as I get my gear and its feed tuned in, I'll get comfortable stretching out at least another couple hudred.

As for 1000+, I'm saving my penniesgun)

I voted +1000 because I have access to a very good shooting 338 Lapua, but would not hesitate to drop the hammer with my 308 to 850. If my new powder, bullet combo works out, then deer better stay 950yds and out or they are in the freezer!

I voted +1000 because I have access to a very good shooting 338 Lapua, but would not hesitate to drop the hammer with my 308 to 850. If my new powder, bullet combo works out, then deer better stay 950yds and out or they are in the freezer!

I voted 1000+ as well.... but it all depends on the firearm and the conditions. I too have a 338 amongst others., probably too many according to the wife.....:)
You basically have 24 inches between the backbone and the leg so anything in that area with proper kenitic energy and expansion will do the deed and I've never seen a deer drop right in it's tracks at distance. They always continue on, hopefully, for a short distance at best.

My 308 I would limit the shot to 500 maximum however.

We typically don't see that range up here. The area we hunt in is wooded so a long range shot is pretty much out of the question. Most shots here are less than 250 yards, sometimes, much less.

I would be hesitant at any long range shot offhand and most of our shots here are offhand, like in the woods and flush a bambi.....

I have a rock outside my back porch that sits 917 yards. I can consistently get cold bore kills on it with wind up to 10-12 mph no problem. I feel in perfect no wind conditions I could make 1,000 yard hit no problem. The few times I have practiced at 1,000 or past I have had good results with little wind but when it kicks up boy it takes some practice!

1,000 yards. That's when my 300 runs out of gas. We practice at that range so that anything inside a 1,000 in the perfect conditions, not a doubt.

Agreed. Too many people go out once a year and take a shot that:

1. They didn't range
2. They couldn't hit
3. Hopping they "get it"

I limit myself to 600 but could push it and I shoot at least 200 rounds every weekend.

600 is my limit for now since that is as far as I have verified my drop on a couple of different rigs. In perfect conditions my Stiller Predator 7mm STW would put a bullet within 3" of point of aim nearly 100% of the time at 600 yds.

I'm comfortable at 500 now. I'm working on stretching that out to 750.
My loads and caliber choices start to fall off the acceptible energy scale after that.
Just need the time and a place to go practice.gun)

I think its kind of like Golf. The bigger and better the ballistics the farther the range to an extent.

Your going to hit the ball farther with a Driver than a 9 Iron. And a pro golfer who practices alot is going to be more consistent than the average Joe.

Me personnally, i use Berger bullets most of the time so i look at where on my ballistic chart that im at 1,800fps. That is my max range for that caliber. If the conditions aren't perfect its closer. The shooting spot we have gets us out to 1,000yds+ so in perfect conditions with the right caliber i would feel comfortable taking a deer at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.