how far would you trust this rifle

mr.big

started off as a 700 BDLSS 300RUM,chnged to Shilen trigger at 26 ounces,went to the CDL stock aluminum pillar/glass bedded free floated.lapped lugs and polished crown.3.5-10x50 Vari-XIII,,shooting the 200SMK over H-1000 for 3200FPS.
cdlss3.jpg

3002003.jpg

3002002.jpg

I'd trust it for a half-mile or so!! Also, I love the way that stainless gun looks in that CDL stock. What an awesome looking rig! ~JT

Against what - Elk or Prairie Dogs.

Prairie Dogs... about 300 yds!

Elk - 700 or 800, for a predictable hit.

Don't take this the wrong way, but while you were throwing all that money at it, you should have gotten a new tube.

All that lug lappin', Shilen triggers, and pillar bedding on a factory barrel (they cost Rem about $30-$50 each), is like dressing up a toad for the prom.

Sometimes a Remington barrel can be terrific, but 3 "inches" at 300yds ain't so good.

You got to have a better barrel if you want to reach out and touch something at really long range.

<<edited>>

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but 3 minutes at 300yds ain't so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about .883 MOA @ 300 yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess taking a Toad prom isn't so bad... when the Toad looks like Jessica Simpson!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK... about 3" at 300 yds - sorry, but the edit function is not working and I couldn't fix it.

But 1 minute is still not a player in long range hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK... about 3" at 300 yds - sorry, but the edit function is not working and I couldn't fix it.

But 1 minute is still not a player in long range hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]
This rifle appears capable of hitting an 8" Diameter circle at a half mile... what more do you need? That seems like minute-of-critter to me... even on a coyote. Throw in the big, 30 cal. high BC bullet, and the fact that it's pretty much hauling ***... and that seems like a pretty good "long range hunting" rifle to me. Hell, most average hunters would be lucky to hit a paper plate at 250 yards and this rifle is capable of hitting it from a half mile away. I guess to most guys 600-900 is mighty good poke... and I'd trust this rifle to get-r-done.
I guess your pointing out that you expect more from your rifles... what type of accuracy do you expect to see at 100/300 before you deem a rifle a "player in long range hunting". ~JT

[ QUOTE ]

I guess taking a Toad prom isn't so bad... when the Toad looks like Jessica Simpson!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... toad is, as toad does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If she looks like Jessica, she ain't no toad... but then there's "after the prom", and that's when you find out if you got the "Toad" in princess's clothing".

And as to how that relates to riffles... I have two very beautiful rifles, with AAA+ presentation wood, that can't hit a phone booth...

... from the inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They each need a barrelectomy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IMO, I would like to see more targets and perhaps more data on the shots.

I see 2 targets, each with 2 shots in the 1/3 MOA area and then a 3rd shot that doubles the group.
Is this consistently the 3rd shot?
Are you single loading each cartridge or could the nose of the bullet be getting damaged in the mag?

Back to your question, how far would I trust the rifle.....I wouldn't let it out of my sight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edge.

Come on Cat... you didn't answer my question. What kind of accuracy do you need for "long range hunting rifles?", more specifically sporter weight rifles. And the whole "Toad" thing, I wasn't talking about the looks... I'm talking about performance. 200 gr MKs @ 3200 with sub-MOA accuracy... that's more than acceptable big game accuracy and potency for at least a half mile. Am I wrong? The fact that the rifle looks great is simply icing on the cake... function before form, but we all like a sweet frame.

Mr. Big... that's a sweet LR Big Game rifle! Groups might improve slightly using some benchrest techniques, but all in all I'd trust your rifle more than my shooting skills at critters in the 700-900 yard range. ~JT

Here's my read on this thread, fwiw

Get you w/jessica zero'd @ 300 yds.

Then move the target out to, say 500 yds and shoot until you're comfortable with your shooting.

Then move the target out to, 750 or 800 and do it again.

That process should give you your answer to your own question + plus being a lot of fun and great experience.

Bottom line, if you can hit a paper plate "every time" at whatever your max distance is, its plenty good for a boiler room shot on an elk and maybe even a muley. But ya gotta hit the plate (with a complete hole) every shot.

oh, what I mean by every shot would be one shot groups at different times on different days. It would be just the same as hunting, you want that "one" shot to do the job.

My max distance shrunk a lot when I disallowed sighters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just my tho'ts.

I don't think a 1 minute rifle is a "long range" rifle. Long range is relative to the shooter. That's MY opinion.

If you can shoot 3" groups at 300yds, this does NOT translate to 8" groups at 800yds, or 12"groups at 1,200yds.

If it did, then we could shoot 17" groups at a mile, and take elk at a mile with a "sporter weight" rifle...
... which I have yet to see someone do.

And (IMNSHO), a "sporter weight" rifle is not a desired rifle for "Longrange". Of course, many define 300yds as long range, others define it as past 800 or 900 yards... ... it's all in how you see it.

[ QUOTE ]

Bottom line, if you can hit a paper plate "every time" at whatever your max distance is, its plenty good for a boiler room shot on an elk and maybe even a muley. But ya gotta hit the plate (with a complete hole) every shot.

oh, what I mean by every shot would be one shot groups at different times on different days. It would be just the same as hunting, you want that "one" shot to do the job.
Just my tho'ts.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you said!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts