• 900 yards

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 1000 yards

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • More than 1000 yards

Votes: 91 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With my 3006 and current rangfinder I'm very comfortable out to 600 beyond that I just havn't put the time in at the range. Now for a mangy coyote I'd double that.

depends on the conditions and what gun I have. If it's break of day super calm winds and the animal is feeding and stable and I have one of my big hammers I will go for it at well past 1000 if I am set up for that shot. If all doesn't feel perfect I don't pull the trigger that way I can keep my kill ratio up past 95%.

Broadside grazing at dawn, no wind, and you are prone.

And you believe there is a 90% chance the shot will kill the deer quickly.

For me, hypothetically, take away the 90% and it changes the whole question:

90% means I have made this same shot 9 out of 10 times without wounding or missing the deer (given the varibles outline above).

There is some empirical info:
Wind, shooting position (but they don't matter given the 90%)

Some inferred:
Shooter/equipment capabilities

Let me put it another way:

If I can make this shot 9 out of 10 times at 100 yards, then I'm a poor shooter and need more practice...

If I can do it 9 out of 10 times at 1000 or over then I'm an outstanding marksman and will take the shot every time!

But that's my hypothetical self :cool:

Typically I would not go past 400 with my .30-06 just because of equipment and ballistic limitations. I went to 500 with my 7MM.

I just bought a .30-378 and am putting a nice scope in it and ordering a new rangefinder, hope to be confident out to 700-800 this year and farther next.

The longest I've been able to get from a deer is 423 so far & she went DRT instantly with a 160 accubond from my 7WSM. I'm pretty cocky out to 800 with the 7 & the 270, but hope to push that out to 1200-1500 for the 7 (now a saum).

I have shot one at 650 yards with the Barrett, and that is basically the starting line where I start getting dope (500 yards to be exact) But I would feel comfortable in the right conditions to well past 1000 with the Barrett and 750 grain AMAX and 235 grains of H50BMG. Here is a link to a picture of the carnage of a Barrett 50 BMG on a mule deer at 650!!! Just about decapitated him, no entrance or exit wound, just removed the throat!

Pics | Sin City Precision

I generally do not try to put myself in a situation where I "have to" take a long shot, but I practice all year long and shoot in local matches "just in case"!

As far as I can see him ABOVE THE ROAD,gun)
50 yds................... BELOW THE ROAD!!:D

"A mans got to know his limitations!" Carry On.

Broadside grazing at dawn, no wind, and you are prone.

And you believe there is a 90% chance the shot will kill the deer quickly.
At a thousand yards misses in the field will usually be measured in feet rather than inches so as long as you have enough bullet to get the job done, if you do get a clean hit, odds are it's going to be a fatal shot.

Under the right conditions I wouldn't even hesitate with the .260 on deer to that range and wouldn't think at all about pulling the trigger with the 300 Rum, 300wm, or 7mm STW.

Then my friend I belive your are the right candidate to start out my challenge

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/1000y-challenge-test-your-1st-shot-hit-capabillity-92796/
I haven't felt the need to prove my manhood since I graduated from Ranger training nearly 30 years ago.

Perhaps you will enjoy reading these threads.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/longest-bobcat-ever-76861/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/well-deer-hunt-didnt-go-planned-but-81516/

I voted 800 yards. I have several deer kills in the 500 and 600 yard range, and one antelope at 780 and that one was in a 20 mph wind. My STW can do better than I can. I started shooting a 1000 yard prone course monthly several years ago and that has helped my confidence and performance tremendously. I am not sure I will get the chance to practice enough to feel confident beyond the 800 yard-mark.

I voted 800 yards. I have several deer kills in the 500 and 600 yard range, and one antelope at 780 and that one was in a 20 mph wind. My STW can do better than I can. I started shooting a 1000 yard prone course monthly several years ago and that has helped my confidence and performance tremendously. I am not sure I will get the chance to practice enough to feel confident beyond the 800 yard-mark.
You hit on a very key point here.

When you practice at long range, it builds confidence that you can indeed "pull off the shot" when the time comes.

I've seen time after time that if the shooter lacks confidence in their weapon and/or their own ability the results will usually not be favorable.

Conversely, when you are well practiced and well equipped, you have the confidence to get behind the gun and deliver.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.