HELP! Draw weight ???

learning and bowhunthard,

So I understand you correctly, I took a picture (sorry for the poor quality of the phone pix) of the old cam with an old string to illustrate what I think you are trying to tell me.

Do you mean "DO NOT DO THIS" ...

0720091751.jpg

... instead, "DO THIS"!

0720091752.jpg

If so, since I do not have a press, I'll have the archery shop do it for me. Thanks again for your patience, understanding, and continued support.

V/R

Ed

Last edited:
Re: HELP! Draw weight ??? - UPDATE

learning and bowhunthard,

I turned the draw weight down to 47 LBS (3 complete turns out) and moved string as shown on picture 2. The draw weight went up to 56 LBS. However, the draw length was too long for me.

0720091752.jpg

Picture 2

Moved string as shown on picture 3 and the draw weight dropped from 56 LBS to 52 LBS but the draw length is perfect. The D loop and rest need to be re-adjusted but since the new string is due in this week, I opted not to do that.

In short, I now have 52 LBS of draw weight + 3 more turns to increase the poundage to play with.

Will re-tune when the new string is installed.

0722091935.jpg

Picture 3

Thanks again for your help.

V/R

Ed

How tall are you? That thing can't be drawing more than 24". Measure the draw length on it.

The draw length on a mathews bow is measured fromthe vally of the nock to the saddle of the grip.put your arrow on and have someone mark on your arrow where the saddle of the grip hits it then measure from the notch in the nock of your arrow to the mark on your arrow that will then tell you what your bows draw lenght really is, because with the way your string is routed even though your cam is a 26" cam and your using the 25" pegs it is not going to still be twenty five inches.

I'm 5'8" and i shoot 27"s with a loop. And it is a touch short. I have a hard time thinking you can only shoot 24"s(I say 24 cause it should be closer to what it is really drawing) . Have you shot for very long? Are you having a tuff time keeping your bow arm out of the string when you release? Do you have an archery shop near by? Maybe you could find a Qualified target shooter that works there that could work with you. The best thing that I ever did for myself was hangout with the guys that were winning all the state shoots. Just watch them shoot before you take there advise, its like golf everybody thinks they're a pro.

learning,

I've started archery/bowhunting in the late 1980s but had a long idle time and just started re-engaging again this year. At 55 lbs I can hold it off for about 2 minutes and have been having great success up to 60 yards - best is ~ 4" group - considering I can barely see the small circles on the target.

I'll have the archery shop re-measure me again when the new string is installed.

Thanks again.

V/R

Ed

UPDATED 22 AUG 09:

Got tired of waiting for the string from Mathews ... every time my archery shop manager calls no one seems to have a clue of any orders as previously noted.

Installed custom cable and string from a local guy yesterday. Poundage only went up by 3 lbs ... I'll just leave it as is and just save up money for a new rig next. Thanks again.

V/R

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.