Minimum draw weight for deer?

Deer I would go no less than 40 and use good broad heads and shot placement. Elk I would go no less than 55. I consider those the bottom line numbers and prefer deer up over 55 and 70 for elk. But one deer was successfully taken with my wife's first bow on 38 pounds.

50lb and great shot placement for elk, 40# for deer. This is another one of those endless debates but a broad head through the lungs and it's lights out.

Really depends on bow. Some shoot faster for with less weight. With that said my father shoots a Mathews q2 Older bow. He pulls 52lbs because of his shoulders, he has killed everything in North America and most things in Africa. I would say as long as you can shoot well I would feel comfortable down to 40. I say this cause I've killed many large Michigan whitetail growing up with that. I would recommend a good cut on contact Broadhead such as montech. Those seem to cut very easy compared to a muzzy which I shoot for the bone smashing tip. Lol. hope this helps

I agree with what snox is saying. With good shot placement, you should be ok down to 40, at least for deer. For elk, I'd say more like 50-55 minimum.

I think shot placement and a good broadhead are the keys.

State requirement is the most important. Here in MD it's 30 lbs. for deer and bear. More important than draw weight, however, is kinetic energy, meaning you can get away with a lighter draw weight assuming you have a heavier arrow/broadhead combo. Remember your physics from high school? F=mv.

Velocity (v) is a function of a few things. Assuming all bows are equal, which they aren't of course, the three things that would affect "v" would be your string acceleration, string force (draw weight, basically), and draw length. The only way to really affect acceleration is to buy a new bow, so we can count that out. Draw length is going to be pretty much constant, so changing your draw weight is the only variable factor, but it only has a fraction of an effect, and that fraction is only on a fraction of the equation. Therefore the effect is minimal.

BUT, heavier arrows ("m") have a direct effect on part of the equation, so shooting heavier arrows is a better way to increase penetration. That and quality, DEPENDABLE (no o ring to fail), heavy broadheads will be more effective on larger game.

To avoid arguments, I'm not talking about animals jumping the string, only penetration. Also, I'm not advocating using a 30lbs draw weight on Alaskan moose, just saying that going from 60-70 lbs will not be as effective as shooting arrows that are 50 gr heavier.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.