Max effective range for draw weight

scottyboy

i was wondering if there was a way to estimate the effective range for a given draw weight? For the sake of discussion, let's assume I can hit where I am aiming at any distance (this is not true of course, just saying let's not take it into consideration). So if I have a 29" draw and turn my bow down to 60lbs, what would be a estimate for effective range on a deer? I have always shot my bow at 70, but some recent shoulder injuries are making it very difficult to pull and hold 70, so I'm turning it down to 60. I'm just curious what my limit will be, again with the assumption my arrow flies true, on a deer sized target.

I've searched around and cannot seem to find a general way of calculating this. I'm shooting a Mathews chill r at 29" if that matters.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

This is dependent probably more on your KE than draw weight. Your arrow weight will play into this as well. If this helps I blew right through a buck at 45 yards with a 64 lb pull and drove the arrow into the dirt on the other side. Using a 375 grain arrow at 285 fps and a 100 grain rage 3 blade. I'd say you should be able to shoot 50-60ish depending on what head your using

This is dependent probably more on your KE than draw weight. Your arrow weight will play into this as well. If this helps I blew right through a buck at 45 yards with a 64 lb pull and drove the arrow into the dirt on the other side. Using a 375 grain arrow at 285 fps and a 100 grain rage 3 blade. I'd say you should be able to shoot 50-60ish depending on what head your using

+1 KE

Thanks Creedmor Shooter, that's what I was getting at KE.. I am shooting Easton bowfire 330's with 100gr slick trick broadheads. I know there are many variables that come into play just wasn't sure if there is a general rule of thumb..

I would respectfully argue that point Ol'Gator, me being able to hit a pin head at 80 yards does me no good if the KE(thanks again CM shooter) is basically nothing and my arrow bounces off the deer..

If you know your speed then you can go online and enter your arrow weight and speed into a calculator it will give you your rough KE. If i had to guess with those slick trick fixed blades then 50-60 should be no problem as long as the fly good.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.