ELR Custom Rifle or Military Sniper Rifle

This could get long but I will try to lay out some info as far as some of the stuff needed and what to expect when preparing and or shooting at the KO2M. The rules have changed the last few years but only took effect in 2021 due to 2020 being canceled because of the virus.

I will add that because of the KO2M and the attention it drew, that today there are many great opportunities all over to shoot and compete in some phenomenal ELR events. Its really to the point that for someone wanting to shoot has many more options today - I mentioned this in your area as well as other locations on my response on page 1 here. A fair amount of these other events are used for your experience ranking used for qualifying or getting on a list that allows KO2M sign up.

The KO2M is the only event of all of these that you have to build a ranking in experience and scores to be allowed or excepted to compete there. There has only been a few exceptions to that rule that squeaked through but for the most part you understand that when the signup times comes - signup for the most part fills fast due to its popularity.

I really think you would have more fun, shoot better and have a rifle that would sell a lot faster someday to another shooter wanting to go down the same route if you look at a smith such as Vestal in Virginia building you a rifle and what he recommends in the 375, 41XC maybe a 416. The 375s and 41XC will make the 40 lb weight limit very easy, you will be running Large rifle magnum primers in which are a lot cheaper then the 50 cal primer needed for a 416, 460 or 50. on my 416 Warner I started years back at 45 cents a primer each then it was 65 cents and now when I got my last 1000 they were 80 cents each. Thats just the primer less the large volume of 20N29 powder used. So the components are a lot cheaper when you stay in the Cheytac case versus going larger. The 375 Snipetac that i will show a picture of has preformed well at the KO2M and other events every year we were there it hit the challenging Cold Bore shot and has been in the finale event. Also note a 375 won the 2021 KO2M mile event so as I stated before for the investment the 375s are fun to shoot, reasonable to shoot expense wise and really to play the game well.

I started with the 375 Snipetac and then built a 50 cal shortened and necked down to a 375 - a laser beam that did get me into the KO2M finale but the setup was hard on the throat really hard - I probably have the record for throat erosion but some of that was do to having to shoot so many rounds in a short time as the timer was ticking away. I then had it reamed out to a 416 and was able to save all my brass I purchased by just expanding the necks this cleaned up all the throat erosion problems so I wore out that barrel early in 2021 she showed her ugly moment at a event in Kansas so we changed out the barrel in October and with 38 rounds down the tube shot a event in the fall with great success. The rifle is spot on now the new barrel and brake change did tip me over the scale to 43 pounds but when I look at all the cool places to shoot today I am not going to shave 3 pounds off just to shoot one event I had three great years there anyway and there many other places to experience with limited time.

Also remember cost of the whole big picture - the rifle, reloading equipment large enough to work with your project, then the need of a high quality spotting scope and a chair - you are allowed one spotter and that is more important the your rifle if he misses splash from the bullet missing the plate you have no clue what happened and its hope and poke. A folding bi-pod for your rifle with a rear bag, possibly a Charlie if your scope system is short of travel needed for 3520 yards More then likely you will need a laser range finder that can accurately measure 2000 plus in order to see if you need to tweak the BC of the bullet in order to make your ballistics program accurate with that the need for a Kestrel in order to check the environments is a must,

Raton, NM has very cool mornings that the DA will be low but as the sun comes out it will raise fast mattering on the weather. Weather its almost like clock work the winds get crazy and a good chance of rain around 2:00 - 3:00 is common but the wind is a definite, also if in that 8:00 am to 9:00am shooting slot watch for the winds to rotate 180 degrees - very common.

Arrive the day before and go to the shooting line with your spotting scope and your partner and scan the mountain side and draw a map of all the targets - memorize that keep scanning from one target to the next by distance and really familiarize the layout both you and your spotter - I have seen many teams crash in panic when struggling with locating the next target they need to be on - or the spotter ends up looking at the wrong target as well as the shooter aiming at the wrong - these are very costly points thrown away and can destroy a team visually in front of a crowd or back at your staging spot. Also work on your communications if possible have your spotter tell you where to aim next for corrections - you need to believe in him and trust him this is the only way he can read off of his correction as a good impact or bad impact change. If you hold somewhere other then what he yelled out then the effects of the impact and the spotters mindset are now junk, if you really disagree big time with his correction call then stop fast and ask him are you sure - discuss quick and get back into the gun. Cummunication - trust between the shooter and spotter has crushed many good teams when the clock is ticking away and then things just go south.

All the rifles shown were used at the KO2M and one recently of the 416 Warner today taken October 2021
E2D876A4-98A0-45AF-8BF5-44CD3393E2F0.png
51529EC7-A368-4515-92BA-0A7B3C9C9065.png
64D2D037-8525-4D59-A360-7385A55DD4FB.png
CA52254F-061D-4851-BA12-637E6FF6677E.png

If you have questions or comments ask away.
osoh - Jeff Heeg

I have stretched out a few rounds with the 50BMG, 338Lapua, and some others. Cost got to me after a while and ran out of places to shot. Its super to reach out and touch someone out there but it got to me sold the 50BMG and all connected with it, till have the Lapua and some others. Now working on a 6mmXC II- not tooo much recoil and easy on the pocket. Good luck with the ELR's , there is always a new round out there. Now can't go wrong with the CT's .. Just how deep is your pocket and a place to shot it ???? Getting a little tooo old , now just want to be able to hit something a way out there and not blow the budget. Good luck to you youngsters out there, carry the torch and shoot straight and often , still have my first triple 2's.
Yep, it's not cheap

This could get long but I will try to lay out some info as far as some of the stuff needed and what to expect when preparing and or shooting at the KO2M. The rules have changed the last few years but only took effect in 2021 due to 2020 being canceled because of the virus.

I will add that because of the KO2M and the attention it drew, that today there are many great opportunities all over to shoot and compete in some phenomenal ELR events. Its really to the point that for someone wanting to shoot has many more options today - I mentioned this in your area as well as other locations on my response on page 1 here. A fair amount of these other events are used for your experience ranking used for qualifying or getting on a list that allows KO2M sign up.

The KO2M is the only event of all of these that you have to build a ranking in experience and scores to be allowed or excepted to compete there. There has only been a few exceptions to that rule that squeaked through but for the most part you understand that when the signup times comes - signup for the most part fills fast due to its popularity.

I really think you would have more fun, shoot better and have a rifle that would sell a lot faster someday to another shooter wanting to go down the same route if you look at a smith such as

I really think you would have more fun, shoot better and have a rifle that would sell a lot faster someday to another shooter wanting to go down the same route if you look at a smith such as Vestal in Virginia building you a rifle and what he recommends in the 375, 41XC maybe a 416. The 375s and 41XC will make the 40 lb weight limit very easy, you will be running Large rifle magnum primers in which are a lot cheaper then the 50 cal primer needed for a 416, 460 or 50. on my 416 Warner I started years back at 45 cents a primer each then it was 65 cents and now when I got my last 1000 they were 80 cents each. Thats just the primer less the large volume of 20N29 powder used. So the components are a lot cheaper when you stay in the Cheytac case versus going larger. The 375 Snipetac that i will show a picture of has preformed well at the KO2M and other events every year we were there it hit the challenging Cold Bore shot and has been in the finale event. Also note a 375 won the 2021 KO2M mile event so as I stated before for the investment the 375s are fun to shoot, reasonable to shoot expense wise and really to play the game well.

I started with the 375 Snipetac and then built a 50 cal shortened and necked down to a 375 - a laser beam that did get me into the KO2M finale but the setup was hard on the throat really hard - I probably have the record for throat erosion but some of that was do to having to shoot so many rounds in a short time as the timer was ticking away. I then had it reamed out to a 416 and was able to save all my brass I purchased by just expanding the necks this cleaned up all the throat erosion problems so I wore out that barrel early in 2021 she showed her ugly moment at a event in Kansas so we changed out the barrel in October and with 38 rounds down the tube shot a event in the fall with great success. The rifle is spot on now the new barrel and brake change did tip me over the scale to 43 pounds but when I look at all the cool places to shoot today I am not going to shave 3 pounds off just to shoot one event I had three great years there anyway and there many other places to experience with limited time.

Also remember cost of the whole big picture - the rifle, reloading equipment large enough to work with your project, then the need of a high quality spotting scope and a chair - you are allowed one spotter and that is more important the your rifle if he misses splash from the bullet missing the plate you have no clue what happened and its hope and poke. A folding bi-pod for your rifle with a rear bag, possibly a Charlie if your scope system is short of travel needed for 3520 yards More then likely you will need a laser range finder that can accurately measure 2000 plus in order to see if you need to tweak the BC of the bullet in order to make your ballistics program accurate with that the need for a Kestrel in order to check the environments is a must,

Raton, NM has very cool mornings that the DA will be low but as the sun comes out it will raise fast mattering on the weather. Weather its almost like clock work the winds get crazy and a good chance of rain around 2:00 - 3:00 is common but the wind is a definite, also if in that 8:00 am to 9:00am shooting slot watch for the winds to rotate 180 degrees - very common.

Arrive the day before and go to the shooting line with your spotting scope and your partner and scan the mountain side and draw a map of all the targets - memorize that keep scanning from one target to the next by distance and really familiarize the layout both you and your spotter - I have seen many teams crash in panic when struggling with locating the next target they need to be on - or the spotter ends up looking at the wrong target as well as the shooter aiming at the wrong - these are very costly points thrown away and can destroy a team visually in front of a crowd or back at your staging spot. Also work on your communications if possible have your spotter tell you where to aim next for corrections - you need to believe in him and trust him this is the only way he can read off of his correction as a good impact or bad impact change. If you hold somewhere other then what he yelled out then the effects of the impact and the spotters mindset are now junk, if you really disagree big time with his correction call then stop fast and ask him are you sure - discuss quick and get back into the gun. Cummunication - trust between the shooter and spotter has crushed many good teams when the clock is ticking away and then things just go south.

All the rifles shown were used at the KO2M and one recently of the 416 Warner today taken October 2021View attachment 337930View attachment 337934View attachment 337935View attachment 337940

osoh - Jeff Heeg
Thanks for the info. I will be searching for Vestal and see what he can do for me. BTW - very nice rifles. What are the specs
in Virginia building you a rifle and what he recommends in the 375, 41XC maybe a 416. The 375s and 41XC will make the 40 lb weight limit very easy, you will be running Large rifle magnum primers in which are a lot cheaper then the 50 cal primer needed for a 416, 460 or 50. on my 416 Warner I started years back at 45 cents a primer each then it was 65 cents and now when I got my last 1000 they were 80 cents each. Thats just the primer less the large volume of 20N29 powder used. So the components are a lot cheaper when you stay in the Cheytac case versus going larger. The 375 Snipetac that i will show a picture of has preformed well at the KO2M and other events every year we were there it hit the challenging Cold Bore shot and has been in the finale event. Also note a 375 won the 2021 KO2M mile event so as I stated before for the investment the 375s are fun to shoot, reasonable to shoot expense wise and really to play the game well.

All the rifles shown were used at the KO2M and one recently of the 416 Warner today taken October 2021View attachment 337930View attachment 337934View attachment 337935View attachment 337940

osoh - Jeff Heeg
Thanks. That info is part of what I was looking for.

osoh - Jeff Heeg
My advice is to listen to this man, he actually shoots ELR competition. Not being rude to others on here, but most giving you advice don't shoot ELR (let alone competitively) and very-very few will at his level.
I have been shooting ELR for several years starting with a Cheytac M210 in .408 and now have a custom .375 Snipetac. That "factory" Cheytac would hang with any custom as for precision, however my custom switch barrel rifle cost several thousand less than a new Intervention.

Look into getting a Charlie TARAC also, it'll save you from having to get an extremely high mount/cheek piece.
Had tacomHQ out on the range a couple days back as guest speakers and to let our students use some of their products. I definitely need a Charlie, was shooting my rifle at over 2500 yards and had to resort to using the reticle.

My advice is to listen to this man, he actually shoots ELR competition. Not being rude to others on here, but most giving you advice don't shoot ELR (let alone competitively) and very-very few will at his level.
It is very hard to weed out the posers online
Had tacomHQ out on the range a couple days back as guest speakers and to let our students use some of their products. I definitely need a Charlie, was shooting my rifle at over 2500 yards and had to resort to using the reticle.
I'm due to pickup a Charlie. I think I might bite the bullet and go for an MK8