ELR Custom Rifle or Military Sniper Rifle

The big 338's will get you to 1.5 miles, but you need to go 375 and bigger for 2 miles. I would go with the 50 BMG for consistent accuracy at 2+ miles!

Taking the plunge into ELR shooting. I have a reasonable level of shooting experience over 1000 yards. I've collected and shoot many types of weapons. I'm 66 and emptying my bucket list as fast as I can. I want to shoot the "King of 2mile". Just shooting in the match is primary - Win, loose or draw makes no difference. Here's my question.

Which rifle would be the best to buy, shoot and sell - a custom rifle or a military sniper rifle?
Either in a .375, or .408 Cheytac or one of the Barrett's in 416. There are some higher end factory rifles that will get you there but factory or custom you're going to be starting at around 10k for just a bare rifle, up to 15k or more.

Before you dive in too deep though make sure you have a good friend that can be a reliable spotter. You'll really be handicapped alone.

On the whole though Cheytac and Barrett pretty much own that venue.

Either in a .375, or .408 Cheytac or one of the Barrett's in 416. There are some higher end factory rifles that will get you there but factory or custom you're going to be starting at around 10k for just a bare rifle, up to 15k or more.

Before you dive in too deep though make sure you have a good friend that can be a reliable spotter. You'll really be handicapped alone.

On the whole though Cheytac and Barrett pretty much own that venue.
Gotcha - Thanks

The big 338's will get you to 1.5 miles, but you need to go 375 and bigger for 2 miles. I would go with the 50 BMG for consistent accuracy at 2+ miles!
That's entirely not true. 338 will get there some guys shooting it at Ko2M. I mean 30 cal will get there also. 375 just bucks the wind better and provides better splash. Almost no one shooting 50 BMG, I think they are having problems holding the accuracy required.

Look at the Desert Tech HTI, they are decently priced for this size gun and can run 375 CT, 408 CT, 416 Barrett and 50 BMG.
I have the SRS in 338 LM and 6.5 PRC. The barrel changes are quick and easy, and I believe the best system available. Barrels are held much more securely than any other QC system making the more rigid with less harmonic vibration. I have had more success and fun with my DT than any other rife I have. In fact I was looking at an HTI last weekend, I will get one of my own before long. Personally I think the 416 Barrett is the way to go for ELR. A custom longer barrel of 42" or so with a twist rate for long solid projectiles will be necessary to really do best in ELR competition.

Look at the Desert Tech HTI, they are decently priced for this size gun and can run 375 CT, 408 CT, 416 Barrett and 50 BMG.
I have the SRS in 338 LM and 6.5 PRC. The barrel changes are quick and easy, and I believe the best system available. Barrels are held much more securely than any other QC system making the more rigid with less harmonic vibration. I have had more success and fun with my DT than any other rife I have. In fact I was looking at an HTI last weekend, I will get one of my own before long. Personally I think the 416 Barrett is the way to go for ELR. A custom longer barrel of 42" or so with a twist rate for long solid projectiles will be necessary to really do best in ELR competition.
39" 8.5 twist, the most important challenge now is having a rifle that has the Bi-pod, Charlie if using one all under the 40 lb. weight limit. Pretty much the complete rifle less the live round in order to compete at the KO2M.

osoh

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe The F-1 and F-Open shooters are shooting 1000 and 1200 yds. with rifle rigs limited to under 26 lbs. using various 338 bullets. In another group shots are 1 mile and 1.5 miles, mostly using 375 Chey-Tek ammo in rifle rigs under 40 lbs. .Third group are shooting 2-3 miles, using 414 Barrett and 50 BMG rounds in rifles under 40 lbs. The 414 Barrett uses a 50 BMG case necked down to the .414 bullet. These rifles use mostly very heavy 38-41 in. barrels. The 414 uses highly perfected and sleek bullets, which are not yet available for the 50 cal, which explains their current popularity!

Recent Posts