Elk tags

Blackdirt Cowboy

I finally convinced my wife to let me start applying for elk tags this next year. I've been researching it quite a bit and have a few questions for y'all.

First off, I have zero points. My goal is to go hunt a trophy animal. This hunt will more than likely be a once in a lifetime hunt and I'm willing to wait 5-10 plus years to draw a tag. I started researching state deadlines, fees, hunting licenses, etc., and that's all pretty straight forward. The problem is that I have zero experience hunting out west. If I plan to apply for these tags on my own, how do I go about choosing which units to apply in?

I came across a tag consulting firm called the draw and had a good conversation with Frank over there. He laid out a state by state plan for me to apply for tags. Now I need to determine if it's worth it to pay them to do all the applying for me. The best I can tell, the main advantage to doing that is not accidentally missing a deadline. The other big advantage I see is having someone with experience guide you in choosing your units to apply for.

What would y'all do if you were in my shoes? Their fee for my plan would be about $450 on top of the $540 state fees. That's a fair amount of money I could save, but I wonder if it's worth it to have them help me with the process. Let me know y'alls thoughts.

Its easy to do yourself. Also you can subscribe to something like HF, Epic, or GH for $100 a year. They all will post deadlines, point out trophy units, and help you get info on the unit if you draw.

Now the bad news. I don't know of a state that you can start applying in right now to build points and expect to draw a trophy tag in 5-10 years. Some states are preference, some are hybrid, and some are bonus. If you are looking to hunt a true trophy elk then your chances after 10 years of applying will still be below 1% I bet.

Here are the numbers for Wyoming. There are 87,969 non residents that have elk points in Wyoming. A quick google came up with 7,250 total bull tags per year for non res. That would take a little over 12 years to get through everyone right now. And most of those 7250 tags are general tags. It wouldn't be considered a trophy bull tag.
Number of Points, Nonresident Number of Sportspersons, Total Points
1, 25827, 25827
2, 16228, 32456
3, 10613, 31839
4, 7793, 31172
5, 5504, 27520
6, 4569, 27414
7, 3956, 27692
8, 3435, 27480
9, 2840, 25560
10, 2184, 21840
11, 1798, 19778
12, 1610, 19320
13, 1612, 20956
Total sportspersons, 87969
Total Points, 338854

Honestly your best bet would be to apply in Idaho and NM every year. Neither state has a point system yet. Everyone has the same odds every year. And save the rest of your money and buy a landowner voucher for an elk tag in a good unit.

I have double digit points in a lot of states and I don't plan on drawing a trophy unit anytime soon. There are just not enough tags to go around.

If I can help anymore just ask.

I agree with dirtytough, do it yourself and save the $450 and put it in your hunting fund. With a subscription to the aforementioned publications you will have plenty of reminders to get your application done by the deadline. They will also give you a good idea on how many points it will take to draw the best tags in each elk state. The point system is pretty tough out there. A lot of people start applying for their kids when they become legally old enough because of the amount of years it takes to build points. There is also point creep which means the tag that took 15 points this year will take 16 next year. A prime example of this is Colorado elk. I think maximum points was 25 in 2017 and 26 this year. I have 19 elk points and probably will never draw unit 10 unless they change the draw system.
It's never too late to start building points but a person needs to understand that it's a long term project and it gets expensive. In the meantime, there's several states with landowner vouchers for sale and the publications previously mentioned will help you find these so you can still elk hunt while you're building points.

Thanks guys. I wish I'd have known about these point systems when I was younger. Aww, hell, who am I kidding, I didn't have the money when I was younger to spend on points. I suppose you're right about the land owner tags. I've looked into that in New Mexico, but geez they are expensive. I guess you'll end up spending the same amount trying to draw, but at least it's spread out over several years. I guess my dream of going on a trophy elk hunt is going to turn into a dying flame.

Being an out of state applicant, it is getting more frustrating every year. I agree with the comments above and I subscribe to Epic myself. In order to get out and hunt, do you have OTC options planned? Easy draw tags aren't a sure thing. I applied for an archery tag in CO last year for mule deer that was 100% draw the year before and still didn't get drawn. CO changed their license fee structure and everyone piled in. Wyoming is making changes this year to make their tags more expensive. In regards to The Draw, I am assuming you spoke with Jordan Christensen. I have worked with him in the past at other places and he is a good person to work with. A couple of states require an expensive hunting license to be purchased as well so that will pile up quickly as well.

Ok here is my 2 cent ..
First off what is your idea of a trophy ?
300 " good possibility
325" still a great chance to score
350" ok now it's getting tough
375 " now your starting to dream
400 " ok now your in la la land ...

I think the best thing for you to do is put your boots on tighten up your belt and get a Otc tag ...and after hiking 27 miles up and down the steepest mountains looking for that trophy you will realize that Elk hunting is tough to say the least. Sure some of us get the lucky chance to see a Trophy ..but in this day of age dont wait 15 years.
The odds are not looking good in the future . I'm not a professional at this but have lots of Critters on the wall. Some large and some small , in my book they are all Trophy's to me . They remind me of the pain and sweat and miles of hiking to get them . I wouldn't trade it for anything !
So dont wait any longer . It is time to chase your dream . Get the gear you can afford and make it happen !!
Best of Luck to you !! Rum Man

Thanks guys, you've pretty much answered my original question. I was leaning toward doing it on my own and that's what y'all have suggested.

Now I'd like to change the focus of this thread. I'm still going to apply for tags, because that's a dream of mine I'm not willing to give up on. What I am considering now, that I wasn't before, is buying an OTC tag and doing a diy hunt. I'm going to need some help though. As I said, I've never hunted out west.

What states are the best to buy an OTC tag in? Colorado? Wyoming?

What gear do I need to plan to bring with me?

Any tips, techniques, or hunting strategy you would care to share?

I know it would be best to go with someone who's hunted before, but I'm kind of the black sheep around here and I don't know anyone who has hunted out west. Anyway, I've always been a teach yourself kind of guy. Feel free to talk to me like I'm completely ignorant of the subject. And thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

You must be a gambler? Do you realize the odds of killing an Elk in a place you have never even seen? Hunting a style you have never done before? Competing on public land with 7000 other Ya-Hoos?
Good Luck!

Well, you've got to start somewhere. That's why I'm here trying to learn. Thanks for your input.

And Rum man, my idea of a trophy is an animal I hunted the right way, that challenged me, and that I can be proud to hang on my wall to remind me of the trip, to start a conversation with those around me. One that will tell a story to anyone who will listen. I'd love to shoot a 400" plus elk, but I know that is highly unlikely. The horns are nice, but the trip is what I'm after. I love the country, the outdoors, and I want to share that with my family. The trophy is just a symbol to remind us of the experience.

I wish I would've stared this endeavor when I was 20, but I didn't have the time or money. I still don't have the time or money, but I realize that life is short, and there are certain things I want to experience while I'm here, and elk hunting is one of them. I'm just trying learn all I can about it right now.

Last edited:
I completely empathize! I'm very new to hunting, having just started these last couple of years, but managed a very nice 6x6 bull on my second elk hunt ever--not sure if you'd consider it a trophy or not (it's in my picture) but it's going over my fireplace.

I used a guide service that hunts on some of their own land and some public land in southern Montana. They helped me with the application process and I got a combo elk and deer tag both times with no points. I signed up for GoHunt Insider and have done a fair amount of research and keep coming back to the idea that working with a guide makes more sense for those of us who don't live out west and can't plan our time as "maybe." With a wife, job and three little kids I need to know what I'm doing a year in advance, and I can't afford the time and airfare to go back and forth to scout and never have a chance at seeing a bull because I was in the wrong area.

The points system is crazy. My oldest kid is 7 and I will start getting points for them for sheep, goats and moose early so, just in case they enjoy hunting, they'll be able to do this when they're older.

The only states that have OTC tags are Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Of those 5 I would hunt Colorado. They have the largest elk herd of any state. Wyoming takes 2-3 years to draw what they call a general tag. Montana you can draw every 1-2 years.

You could kill a good bull on a OTC tag or even the easy draw general tags. It will take a lot of luck or time and effort.

I have killed a couple bulls most people would probably consider trophy's. But one of my favorite elk hunts I have done was a cow hunt. Like you say at the end of the day you will remember the experience more then the trophy. If funds are limited I would suggest trying to hunt more often on a otc or general tag then spending money on applying in a bunch of states.

I'll throw this out there. Wy publishes the draw odds for each year. Look at the last 2-3 years. You can easily see how many points are needed. They also show success rates and average days needed. Compare the 2. Look for a unit with good success rates and reasonable draw time. That will get you going.
Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts