Caribou Hunts??

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I have been BSing with dad a little lately and I may be able to talk him into one more big game hunt up north. He is still pretty ****ed off about the moose hunt crap!!!!

Have any of you guys been on any caribou hunts?? I am probably looking at barren ground hunts that offer ptarmigan (sp?) and fishing as well as maybe wolf if possible. Just looking for opinions and options for guides if anyone knows anything.

thanks
steve

Lerch,

You can hunt caribou in AK w/o a guide and it'll be less $$. Most of my experience is with the Mulchatna herd but their numbers have been in decline and the bull to cow ratio is not good. To make things worse, the number of trophy bulls is down to very dismal figures. For these reasons, I would have to recommend the WACH (Western Arctic Caribou Herd). The cost to get out there will be a bit more but your chances of taking some nice animals will be much better.

By relying on a good, reputable air taxi, you can be dropped in a productive area with good chances of success. You have to do your homework though, there are a few bad apples that will drop you on top of other parties. The good guys know where the caribou are and will do their level best to ensure you get dropped in a good area without too much competition.

I've not hunted this area so can't recommend any air taxi services but there are many to choose from.

Good Luck, Festus

Its hard to beat this place for caribou and fishing but no wolves lots of fox. This is a out of the way place but hunting is great fishing even better. Nikolski AK.

Lerch, I'm going with these people Jack Hume Adventures on the 21 of September. It's the last hunt and should be a good one. I'm going to see what the 200gn Wildcats do on Caribou.

I'm sure you can't shoot wolves in Quebec.

I also know nothing about snow chickens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lerch

Last year I went with Barry Tayloy
Arctic Safaris
you fly out of Yellowknife, NWT
867-873-3212
call and ask for a brochure.

9 hunters total
3 (sets) of father and sons
2 singles
1 well-to-do repete customer

10 caribou were killed, most everyone but the three dads had two tags.

3 Wolverines were taken (very rare)

Some shots were taken at wolves (mostly white with gray)

As for fishing I only fished one afternoon at some special place they don't like to go to!! to much gas and too far away etc. etc. Lake trout every cast!!! yes every cast almost boring LOL. If you never hooked up with three casts you were ready to switch spoons. (five of diamonds in yellow and black)

If'in you want more info let me know.

PS. maybe 3 Caribou were close to book but to the best of my knowledge none made book.

CAM

I have been Twice and loved it.Most hunt fly out of Monteral. they fly to Shefferville or another northern site I forgot what the name was. The outfitter I used will move you if you don't see caribou, he puts you on Caribou.
No you can't shoot wolves in Quebec , but get a Black bear tag you never know . I also shot Ptarmigan .
Email me and I will give the out fitters info [email protected]

Lerch,
I've shot caribou in Alaska--the Mulchatna herd of the Barren Ground subspecies. I killed a book Mountain caribou along the breathtaking spine of the MacKenzies dividing the Yukon from the NWT. I took two specimens of the Canadian Central Barren Ground race (one also made book) north of Yellowknife, NWT. Then I went to Quebec and hunted the Leaf River herd there, taking two very good Quebec-Labrador bulls. This year, on Sept 25, I leave for Newfoundland to have a go at the smaller Woodland subspecies.
I've used the .338 Win, the 30-06, the 7mm Rem Mag, and the .300 Win Mag to bring my bulls to bag. I'll probably take the '06 to Newfoundland mainly because I don't care if it gets (and stays) wet.
To answer your query.....if I could only do only ONE hunt for reindeer? No doubt at all: the Central Canadian Barren Ground subspecies out of Yellowknife. I like Rabesca Outfitting....he holds the current world records by rifle, bow, AND muzzleloader. Barry Taylor, mentioned above, is also good. The hunts there are reasonably priced and great fun! Shoot the first great bull you see and then hold out for a record-book specimen as you're allowed two caribou on this hunt. Wolves are also often taken. Lake Trout fishing, if you have time, is spectacular. Take your dad, your best friend, and your teenager for a memorable get-together.
Dave

Thanks for the info guys, it has all been great. I am kinda looking at Arctic Adventures near Ungava Bay, i probably spelled that wrong but maybe you get the idea of who and where i am talking about. I am wanting to take my dad, Bill Bailey, my brother in law and myself. Arctic Adventures offers a 1-4 semi guided hunt which I think may be the ticket. Dad got burned pretty bad on the moose hunt last year so he is pretty leary of it happening again. From what I have seen this may be a dumb question but if you know what happened to me on the moose hunt you can understand why. On any of these caribou hunts are we gonna see good animals?? On the moose hunt we saw NOTHING, I mean nothing bigger than a squirrel for 7 days in north west saskatchewan so i am a little tense about kicking up the money to get burned again.

Where are the biggest caribou at, Labrador, Yellow Knife????

thanks for the help so far guys

steve

I don't think it would be a good idea to take Dad up to Ungava Bay. The George River herd there is infamous for its sporadic migration--one week hunters are seeing thousands of caribou from camp and the next week's hunters walk their boots off and see not a single animal. There is a posibility of a repeat of Dad's moose experience. That said, if you hit the migration right, you could be in for a truly memorable hunt. On average, the trophy quality will be good but not great. The best antlers will come from the Alaska Barren Ground subspecies, on average, and the best trophies will come near/on the Alaska Peninsula, although a book bull could come from anywhere. The largest bodies (I'm told) belong to the Woodland variety from Newfoundland, but the racks are not impressive. The best compromise is the central barren ground race out of Yellowknife--best chance for a B&amp;C head, dependable numbers of animals, and moderate expense. Getting two bulls is a slam dunk and wolves, ptarmigan, and giant lake trout are a bonus. The guided hunt will cost you $4- 4.5 K per hunter, a bargain for a North American trophy hunt these days (I just coughed up $10,500 for a private land elk hunt in Arizona in early Oct, and yes, I drew a tag!). If you can't swing the price of a guided hunt--I, too, have felt the cruel pain of want--save your money until you can afford it.
One man's opinion, mine. Dave

Lerch,
I'm going in the first week of September. My best partner lives in Faibanks, and has a boat. That's the bad thing about where we hunt, you have to be five miles off of the road. We are using his boat to get five miles away. It's all luck, you can call Alaska game and fish and they will tell you where the hurd is located. If you find the hurd it's a freaking turkey shoot. E-mail me if you need anything, I can probably save you alot of money.
Brandon

I think we may hold of and go in 2008 to give us some more to get money up. I cant wait to here more info from you guys and see how this season goes for you. please keep the info coming.

thanks
steve

I am still looking at hunts with Arctic Adventures in Ungava Bay but I am also getting interested in the Yellowknife area. Does anyone have any info on hunts in the NorthWest territory that would be for 4 to 8 people, 2 caribou a peice???

thanks
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts