Kodiak Island Blacktail/Caribou

ADMIN

Administrator
The bulls were spread out 50 yards wide feeding directly toward me. Craig and I had been trying to get close enough for a shot for 6 days so I knew most of the antlers by heart. The younger caribou with the spiky tops were to the left. Several nice bulls were in the middle. The big guy, the one we called Whitey because of his very whitetail looking tops, was to my right. I was just waiting for one of the big guys to get into range and present me an open shot. I was well hidden behind a clump of ferns and I anxiously ranged them every few minutes. 105 yards, 95 yards, 85 yards, they kept on coming. This same plan had blown up a couple times this week with the bulls suddenly changing directions so I tried not to get too excited. This time, however, it looked like it might all come together. At 58 yards, Whitey presented me with a broadside shot. I looked hard and even started to raise my bow, but it was just a little too far for me with the bulls still advancing. This was the last day I could realistically kill a caribou and still pack him back to camp in time for our flight out. I had to make it count. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Kodiak Island Blacktail/Caribou, Jason Juliana. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Wow...what a great hunt! Didn't know it was possible to combo a caribou with a deer in Alaska. I want to do this hunt soon. I hunted caribou out of Kotz 2 years ago and was skunked . So I want to return to Alaska to redeem myself !! Thanks for sharing.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Kodiak Island Blacktail/Caribou, Jason Juliana. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Jason, what a great adventure. Loved the write up and the pictures. Must be the engineer in you, but the writing was great. I could feel the water soak through my pants as I crawled across the bogs with you.

Great story. Sounds like an awesome trip. Went to the Karluk River area of Kodiak years ago. Would love to get back there. Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.