Caribou for food?

kc

I have a good neighbor and I know his intentions are well but he gave me a package of Caribou
Meat and it was as close to **** as it could get, this was shot this August and it was discusting.
I know my tase buds are ok becaus I got a Doe a week ago, she ran smack right into the side of a school bus( my wife was ****ed because I had a knife and I cut her throat(the deer) and tossed it into the trunk of our Pontiac). the kids got a good laugh, I was right there.
Have you ever eaten Caribou?
Dang! this, I could not eat..

I had a guy at work give me some one time.......I'm still trying to get even with that SOB.:D

Seriously. While cooking it the whole house smelled like crap and I thought there was no way I was going to be able to choke it down. The taste however was not nearly as bad as the smell. It wasn't gourmet food by any stretch, but it was edible enough.

Chris

Last edited:
Caribou is good. As good as moose.

No meat is good if it spoils due to improper handling.

The only inedible caribou is a bull in the rut. Starts about the 25th of September in Alaska and take several months before they can be eaten again.

I hunted caribou in late August 2006 . they were still in velvet . I'm sure we were before the rut . it was very good eating . My Dad and I both think it is better than elk , but not as good as moose . I agree with porwath , it must have spoiled . Jim

I hunted with these guys , out of the Inukshuk camp . I got home on labor day 2006 . I hunted the last couple days of August and the first couple days of September .
Canada fishing vacation and caribou hunting trip in Northern Quebec
we were able to take two . I couldn't wait , I shot one of the first bulls I seen on day one .
027_27.jpg

then I waited for a nicer one . got him on day three.

012_12.jpg

it was a very good hunt . I'd love to go back . Jim

I have friends that prefer caribou to moose, I think that you got some 'bou that hadn't been properly taken care of. Caribou won't last long in the field, they need to be in the freezer a lot sooner than moose. My wife and I each got a caribou in October and they are both tasty.

I started eating caribou in 1966 and I don't think that I've ever had any gamey meat.

Gus

Last edited:
I prefer caribou over moose, and I've eaten plenty of both over the past 28 years of hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.