Bushing Dies

ishootkittens

Hey guys, been a minute. Hope everyone is doing okay. I just finished my 6.5 wsm build and my headspace gauges are in the mail. One thing I haven't purchased yet, is the correct dies.

I think this time around I'm going to try some Redding bushing dies. It's a bit simpler that way as I THINK I can just get 270 wsm dies and change out the bushing. I'm not exactly sure how the dies work as I am new to them. How do I know exactly what bushing to purchase. If I were to show you guys a copy of the reamer dimension drawing, could you guys help me?

Thanks

Normally you would measure a loaded round at the neck and subtract .002. This can be a problem if you dont have standard dies to load a dummy round. You can measure your your brass neck then add the bullet diameter. However to measure accurately you need a ball micrometer. So if your brass was .014 at the neck that would be .014+.014 +.264= .292. In that case you would need a .290 bushing for .002 " neck tension".

Another option is to buy a forster full length die and load some ammo. After it's loaded you can measure your ammo and send the die to forster. For 15 bucks they will hone the die to your specs. I think they recommend .003-.004 under. You can also use the honed die with an expander mandrel die to expand the neck instead of using the button that comes with the die. For hunting purposes you can load some really straight ammo with a honed die setup where your expander is just barely doing any work. The downside to this is if you change brass with different neck thickness it will affect your sizing.

Hey guys, been a minute. Hope everyone is doing okay. I just finished my 6.5 wsm build and my headspace gauges are in the mail. One thing I haven't purchased yet, is the correct dies.

I think this time around I'm going to try some Redding bushing dies. It's a bit simpler that way as I THINK I can just get 270 wsm dies and change out the bushing. I'm not exactly sure how the dies work as I am new to them. How do I know exactly what bushing to purchase. If I were to show you guys a copy of the reamer dimension drawing, could you guys help me?

Thanks
Have you figured out your brass prep yet?
I've formed 6.5 saum cases from 7saum and needed to neck turn to remove brass that was pushed back close to the neck shoulder junction.
I would recommend getting a k&m neck turner, and a .264 expander mandrel.
Pretty simple to at least skim turn the necks for consistency.

You'll want to at least fire a few sized rounds and measure neck diameter between a loaded and fired case.
Ideally you need at least .003 neck clearance.
When you get everything figured out order a bushing that's .002-.003 less than loaded neck diameter

I'm curious if your using a no- turn neck chamber if you are should be .300.
My 6.5 WSM is .296 so I turn necks.
I'm using 300WSM Redding FL bushing die with the expander stem changed out for 6.5.
Get the carbide expander and dont go below .002 under your loaded round or you start having runout issues.

I'm curious if your using a no- turn neck chamber if you are should be .300.
My 6.5 WSM is .296 so I turn necks.
I'm using 300WSM Redding FL bushing die with the expander stem changed out for 6.5.
Get the carbide expander and dont go below .002 under your loaded round or you start having runout issues.
The reamer prints are showing .299 and you are correct, it is the no neck turn chamber. Thanks for the video, it helped alot!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.