7PRC - Peterson brass - Redding bushing?

I've got everything I need to start reloading for the 7PRC except a bushing for my Redding Type S dies. Can anyone tell me what size bushing they are using with the Peterson brass?
I can't really help you there unless you cut your case necks for thickness. Then that makes it simple. Otherwise I would email Peterson Brass on what there neck thickness is going to be. They could respond to you. They have in the pass to me.
:Looking further in this blog, I see you found the case neck size. You mention that your bushing slip over the neck. What's is the ID of the neck. I thinking you are trying to set neck tension.
The third thing is you are having a rifle being built for you. I would think you would know your chamber size in the neck area is going to be. Even then that may no work. Reamers can vary some.

My assumption is the neck thickness on Peterson brass in the 7PRC would be fairly consistent in most of 7mm/.284 offerings. I know they are in the 280ai and 7RM. .309 works great in my Peterson 7mm loadings. Do you partial or full neck size?

Last edited:
I
My assumption is the neck thickness on Peterson brass in the 7PRC would be fairly consistent in most of 7mm/.284 offerings. I know they are in the 280ai and 7RM. .309 works great in my Peterson 7mm loadings. Do partial or full neck size?
I tried a .309 but had zero handle pressure with a .282 mandrel or bullet seating. ended up with a .308 and seems much better.
With a 175 Berger.
Maybe I got a thin batch

Last edited:
.282 mandrel was hardly engaging brass after the .309 bushing so I went to .308

"feels" better when seating now. If I go with a smaller mandrel I'd try .2815

I turn my necks to my desired thickness and the. Get a bushing that's .004 than the OD and then use a mandrel expander to the desired ID to set proper neck tension.

I think in my 7MM I was using .311 or .310.. I'm on my couch now and don't feel like gettin up to check.. lol

Anyone having clickers with a standard spec 7mm prc SAAMI chamber? I've had issues with clickers on my 6.5 prc since the first reloading with mild charges so curious if this issue is happening for anyone with the 7mm prc.

Last edited:
I measure the neck wall thickness of several pieces of brass to come up with an average.
Then double that measurement, add OD of bullet then subtract for the amount of neck tension you want. Example: My 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass has an average neck wall thickness of 0.014". Bullet diameter is 0.264". I like 0.002" of interference fit/neck tension.

0.014"
0.014"
+0.264"
———-
=0.292"
-0.002"
———-
=0.290" bushing size for non-mandrel method.

This method does require a 0-1" tube micrometer. Mine is a SHARS with readings to 0.0001"
Measuring the OD of neck with bullet seated is the easiest if you have one. If starting from scratch I find the measurement method easier vs. prepping a new piece of brass, seating a bullet, measuring, pulling the bullet, and resizing that piece of brass.
Generally speaking this is spot on with most magnum brass from premium manufacturers.

For my 264WM (using 7 mag brass) and my 6.5 SAUM I use an SAC .289 bushing and set final size with a mandrel.

For my 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47L and 260 AI I use .286 bushings as the neck is not as thick.

The SAC bushings are much better and more consistent in concentricity, diameter and slicker than any other bushing I have tried.