Boudin balls

Here's the wilkpedia definition of Coonass, for as long as I've known my wife and her family they have always got real ****ed off when called a Coonass. Most recently at a barbecue someone with a little too much to drink called my wife a Coonass. He like most don't really understand how it can be taken but once explained he apologized and that was the end of it.

Although many Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns. Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.[1] (In Sociolinguistics, this type of behavior is termed covert prestige.)

The origins of "coonass" are obscure, and Cajuns have put forth several
folk etymologies in an effort to explain the word's origin. Some amateur linguists believe that the word refers to the Cajuns' occasional habit of eating raccoons, or from the use of coonskin caps by the Cajuns' ancestors while fighting in the Battle of New Orleans or in the Revolutionary War under Spanish colonial Governor Bernardo de Gálvez. Other amateur linguists attribute the term to the racial slur "coon," used in reference to African-Americans — thus implying that Cajuns are lower than African-Americans in social standing. Yet others hold that the term derives from the shape of Cajun women after having children (like a raccoon viewed from above).

Chas, I have only been around hard-working Cajun men, not women, and they have a lot of pride in being Coonasses. We were all Union Boilermakers and Boilermaker Weldors and became lifelong friends. It's how I learned Cajun french that can't be printed! If your reply is meant as a rebuke, I apologize for offending you or your wife. I have never thought of it or said it as a slur. Cajun friends of 50 years don't either.

In context, I said, if I wasn't a redneck, I would have wanted to be a Coonass myself. Crap, Wikipedia probably thinks Redneck is a slur too.

Tom

Tom, rebuke nah not at all. I didn't see where you or anyone else directed it at me or anyone else. Heck the only part of me that's Cajun is no part and my wife doesn't read this stuff and even if she did it wasn't directed at her. I don't think any apology to me or anyone else here is needed as I took the use of coonass as being in a good natured sense. Sorry if my post gave the wrong impression, I should have added an additional comment so folks would know it was for the benefit of those who might not know what a Coonass is. lol:)

Chas

Thanks Chas, well said.

Something I omitted from the recipe is that if you slit the casing and remove it, then slice and compact the skinless boudin before battering, I think it's slightly better. My wife doesn't, and since it's more work and a few of the balls will come apart while handling and frying, I just leave the casing on now. The Holmes Smokehouse did stay together pretty good with the casing removed. Some brands didn't.

I haven't actually tried the Spam yet. I was waiting for Roy to get desperate and try it since he can't get boudin!!!!

Tom

I knew a young couple from Bayou LaFourche (isn't that baya to the left?) who had 3 elementary school children. Robicheaux , Born and raised on the bayou.

They moved to MI for a while to attend a product selling school.

When they came back they were totally amazed that all of their children were placed in remedial speech classes.:)

Great people.

I had the great opportunity to play the washboard in Waylan Thibideau's band one evening.

Back on thread.......I wonder how many reading this thread are pronouncing "Boudin" as "bow din".:D

Roy, I think the one to the left is Bayou Gauche.....?

In Idaho, do they know what Zydeco is? If you can play it or listen to it and your feet don't start moving, you better check for a pulse, I garowntee.

Presumably the Robicheaux chirrins made a full recovery????

Tom

On edit: Boudin = Boodan. Right?

Last edited:
oops!! Gauche it is.....

Zydeco in Idaho.....heck no! I listen to a Cajun station on line to get my fix.........

Was in Los Alamos last summer. Street music on Weds @ the park. Zydeco band brought out almost the whole town. Was fun.....

Don't mess w/my Toot Toot.......

PS: RE Above: I call me a Dago.......its ok. Stranger calls me a Dago...........bad thing......gun):) Nah......not really. I usually have a nifty comeback or just grin.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.