Arrows... What are you shooting?

I shoot EASTON CARBON STORM arrows, 400 spine with a 50/65 pound approval rating, and plan on upgrading to the 340 spine after I get a Mathews HeliM. Reason why I use the EASTON CARBON STORM series of arrows is because they are cheap (price wise), the quality of them is pretty good, they are accurate, they always return to being perfectly straight if bent, and I've never had one break on me. I know that there are some arrows out there with better quality, but to be honest I've never had a problem with them. I can highly recommend getting them if you can find them, I get mine from my local bowstore where they cut them to my specific requested leangth on the spot. Sincerely- Ace762.

The Archery industry and AMO have up graded the production of carbon shafts to the point that there are almost no bad arrows. Unlike back in the days of
cheap aluminum and fiber glass shafts. More spendy but, of much better quality and durability.

The shafts are pretty much the same . It now boils down to consumer loyalty
and what you are willing to pay. I have made up a dozen from 3 or 4 different
manufacturers. They all perform pretty well. I haven't tried mix and match, but
I suspect they would work.

Keep them in the middle.

I have shot several different carbon arrows but could not find one that was stiff enough to match my bow. I shoot a Hoyt Katera XL, 31.75" draw set at 73#.

Finally I found the Easton X-series FMJ Dangerous Game arrow. Full length 32" @ 17.5 grains/in with a 75 grain HIT insert and 100 grain G5 Montec broadhead. These things are bomb-proof.

All together my arrows weigh 735 grains. Most accurate arrow I have found for my bow.

What I lack in velocity I more than make up for it in momentum. And hunting in the timber for elk the majority of my shots are in the 10 - 20 yd range so I don't need the flat trajectory you get from faster arrows.

All around the perfect arrow for my bow and the way I hunt.

TIMBER 338

There is a lot of arrows that will shoot out of your bow. Thats not the problem. When you have an archer shooting a full sized arrow, then the selection narrows considerably. Your perseverance has paid dividends.

If you go to your friendly archery shop maybe they will let you shoot an
arrow or two through their chonagraph to get feet per second measure.
But, that don't mean squat at daylight with a 6 point wall hanger stareing
you down at 20 yards.

GOOD LUCK.

Practice, Practice and Practice.

Practice, Practice and Practice.

So true. Practice is king! For a while I got too wrapped up in velocity, paper tuning, tweaking draw #, etc. I had good full-length arrows shooting 318 fps, but they just had too much wobble during flight and I personally could not shoot them all that accurately.

I took a step back and looked at how I hunt, and applied my focus to simply what shot best out of my bow. That whole process is what brought me to the dangerous game arrow. Velocity plays a very small factor for me.

And my own personal philosophy of archery hunting is very different than rifle hunting as I think the challenge of archery hunting is getting as close as possible. I know folks here will disagree being a long range forum, I don't want to start an argument... If my hunting style required longer shots I would use a different arrow!

But I think there are similarities to the level of difficulty associated with a long-range rifle shot compared to getting very close to an animal for a close-range bow shot.

So true. Practice is king! For a while I got too wrapped up in velocity, paper tuning, tweaking draw #, etc. I had good full-length arrows shooting 318 fps, but they just had too much wobble during flight and I personally could not shoot them all that accurately.

I took a step back and looked at how I hunt, and applied my focus to simply what shot best out of my bow. That whole process is what brought me to the dangerous game arrow. Velocity plays a very small factor for me.

And my own personal philosophy of archery hunting is very different than rifle hunting as I think the challenge of archery hunting is getting as close as possible. I know folks here will disagree being a long range forum, I don't want to start an argument... If my hunting style required longer shots I would use a different arrow!

But I think there are similarities to the level of difficulty associated with a long-range rifle shot compared to getting very close to an animal for a close-range bow shot.

Both disciplines are unique. That why I choose to do both. Being retired
gives me the time and opportunity to practice and learn. I just started in the
Long Distance Shooting Discipline. I spent the best part of 8 months just
picking out a rifle.

You have mastered the bigest problem in archery, what is best for you.
again, good Luck.

Great ! sounds like an arrow that will do the job.
question, what is the draw weight?
and do you draw the bow without going
through any contortions? ie., pointing the bow
at the sky when drawing.

It's amazing the acrobatics some archers go
through to get the cams to break over.

I have recently gone with Easton Injexion arrows with NAP 2 blade bloodrunner broad heads. Shooting a Hoyt Carbon Element.

Are you shooting the AC or all carbon version. How do you like them so far? There aren't a whole lot of guys shooting these yet.

Scot E.

Always hunted with Easton Axis N fused 400s and 340s...super tough..love the thick walled dia arrows.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.