Are the Eld x bullets that bad

Saw this on another site, hunter stated this is a Berger 6mm @ 392 yards on a deer....I guess that core/jacket separation at its finest.
FB_IMG_1699186764960.jpg
FB_IMG_1699186777141.jpg

I don't use Berger bullets (pricy) except when I get some from a trade or big discount. The VLD design does not expand for rodents & the penetration capability for diagonal hits on bigger game is limited. Berger claims rapid disintegration after inches of penetration followed by numerous fragments causing death - not so good when a diagonal hit is going to be the only option. I shot a 35-40 pound coyote with a Berger 75 .224 VLD & it killed the yote immediately, broadside hit but the .224 75 ELDM has better expansion on much smaller rodents.

The plain old cheap Hornady interlocks have served me well, they can go thru 2 feet of some 275-pound beast and either exit or be recovered just under hide opposite of hit. They have blunt lead points & don't zip thru air like VLD or pointy plastic tip bullets. Solid copper bullets penetrate better. My self-imposed limit for shooting deers & other size is 1/4 mile.

I have no hunting experience with the ELDX but they are extremely accurate.

I am not a Berger user, but if the hunter recovered that bullet jacket, means the animal was also recovered. Conclusion? Bullet did its job.
BAM! 😍 It does not get any simpler than that.

The bottom line is that there is no magic bullet for all situations. We all have different bullet preferences and intended purposes.

Last edited:
Jacket / Core separation, HAPPENS,.. quite, often !
Anybody that has Tested Bullets, in a PROPER "Medium" ( Not Water Jugs), KNOWS THAT,. the Core is "usually", NOT FAR from, the Jacket and, HAS,.. "DONE" it's,.. "Job",.. WELL !
I've used, Hornady 130 and 150 Grain (Cup / Core) Flat Based, Interlocks, for YEARS, in a .270 Weatherby and NEVER lost, a Deer or, Antelope ( MOST went, LESS than,.. 2 Jumps ) and had, "Normal", Silver Dollar sized, Exits ! There's NO need to fear, the Cup / Core, Bullet for, MOST Hunting situations. For Brown Bears and, Grizzles, USE, the TOUGHER,.. Bonded, Mono's or, Partition, Bullets !

Last edited:
I get a good laugh from people that have killed animals with x bullet recovered it and said x bullet sucks. Just go to YouTube, it's full of videoes of the such. Heck, I even know a guy here locally that has a channel and hates on ELD-X's and SST's constantly, but Barnes are God sends.
The only bullet I had issues with, was the last whitetail I killed before moving to AK. It was a doe, and I shot it for the landowner as they asked me to get a deer for them as they wanted it to make deer sausage. Anyways, I was shooting a 139gr SST from my .280 Rem and the ammo was factory fodder. I hit the doe right behind the front shoulder, she ran off and there was no blood trail. I knew I got her, but never saw her go down. I finally found her on the other side of a log she jumped over. No bliss trail at all, and just a pencil hole through her that was clogged up not allowing blood to escape. Did the bullet fail, no as it killed what I shot at, but it did not perform like I wanted it to either. Hunting in AK, the few animals I've killed were all with Accubonds. I do load my own now and load lots
Of Barnes LRX's and TTSX's, as I want a tougher bullet when I'm griz country and especially when hunting them. I still like Accubonds, but I'll be happy to use ELD-Ms and ELS-X's when I start going to back to Arkansas next year hopefully and deer hunting on my cousin's ranch.

I shot a massive 7x7 at 730 yards using 175gr ELD-X in my 7mm PRC last week in SW Colorado. Bullet estimated at about 2000fps in the conditions at 11,200 ft. elevation. The shot crumpled him in place. There was no exit wound, and I was dang mystified that I could not recover the bullet. This is the bull of my lifetime, unofficially measuring 374.3 inches.

Attachments

• 1000001405 - Copy.jpg
    1000001405 - Copy.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 45
I shot a massive 7x7 at 730 yards using 175gr ELD-X in my 7mm PRC last week in SW Colorado. Bullet estimated at about 2000fps in the conditions at 11,200 ft. elevation. The shot crumpled him in place. There was no exit wound, and I was dang mystified that I could not recover the bullet. This is the bull of my lifetime, unofficially measuring 374.3 inches.
Impressive. I guess this was another bullet failure 😂

LOL! The moon was just past the full moon phase.

Seriously, though, I had set my elk maximum kill velocity for the ELD-X at 2000fps, which was about 750 yards out of the 7mm PRC in those environmental conditions. I was the bull elk who did his job.