Any help with charge handle issues

Two things I would suggest, run it wet.

Remove the BCG, open the gas block all the way, using a piece of rubber tubing to fit snug over the gas tube inside the upper, drop a loaded round in the chamber, cover the muzzle to form a seal, can you blow the round out of the chamber with a single hard puff? If so, gas block is aligned.

Quit with the tapping and tugging, learn how to mortar the bolt carrier out of battery, plenty of videos on YouTube.

I think you have a sticky chamber, Hornady brass has a reputation for being soft, magnifying the issue.

Look at the gas tube where it mates with the gas key, you are looking for wear patterns that suggest the gas block is rotated slightly off center, if you see this, rotate the block towards the wear to better align the tube and key. Another way to test it is the drop test, remove the charge handle, muzzle down, drop the BCG with the bolt face about 1" from the barrel extension, it should drop into battery easily. If not, there is some resistance.

Seeing how it ran prior to the Hornady, I suspect that you have an ammo/headspace or chamber issue.

Measure the previously fired brass and compare to the fired Hornady brass, what do you see?

Let's just say for giggles that when the Savage fires and the bolt comes back like everything is fine, but the extractor doesn't flip the case out. Now you have an expanded case getting slammed back into the chamber. It is going to hard to hand extract because it is jammed in. I'd verify that the BCG and extractor is functioning before chasing your tail on the gas block.

you could close the ejection flap door and fire the weapon and that would tell you if the BCG is cycling back

It's possibly a headspace problem with your handloads. I had the same thing happen with my 6.8 a long time ago. You should probably get a case gauge to check everything is sized correctly.

Thanks,
Pitt
SPitty I agree had the same issue with my ar10 Wyndham its was my reloads all the way after I adjusted the dies it shoots amazing

Must have been a GB issue. Got it running good now. 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for everyone chiming in and all great info!

This is exactly the reason why I hate adjustable gas blocks, they are a band aid. I tune using heavy buffers and extra power springs.

Has never made a lick of sense to remove a portion of what makes the rifle function properly.

This is exactly the reason why I hate adjustable gas blocks, they are a band aid. I tune using heavy buffers and extra power springs.

Has never made a lick of sense to remove a portion of what makes the rifle function properly.
An agb is just fine tuning and without it you can't run a lite weight bcg w/low mass rifle length buffer on full power/near max loads.

EXactly!!! I bought two different manufactures of piston gas blocks to convert gas guns to piston. Both came with adjustable gas blocks, What a PITA to get them to work right on where they ejected and then one of the adjustable got loose after hundreds of rounds out in the field and came apart. Not fixable and DRT. Luck that I had other rifles along 300 miles from home.

Hello, I bought my first AR a few years ago and just started reloading for it and trying to get it shooting well. It's a Savage MSR-15 224 Valkyrie. When I first got it it had trouble cycling the handle, only a certain box of shells would work once in a while. I Tried moving gas block and can't remember if I had it fully running 100%. It's sat till today after I broke it down cleaned it up and went out to shoot my powder ladder. Well I shot 2 times and each time I had to turn rifle upside down and bang butt against tailgate while pushing down on charge handle. It was stuck bad, both times. After spent case ejected, I can work handle smoothly. I have no idea what I did wrong, if anything when I broke it down to clean. Haven't had time to break it down again yet, just wanted to see if anyone knew where to look first? Thanks, only 100rds maybe through rifle.
Don't bother doing a ladder test until this runs right.

@ARlife4me, I have an adjustable GB, after I took everything apart (including bolt carrier) and cleaned/oiled everything I took 2 factory loads to shoot for "foulers". Each time it took a lot of "muscle" to discharge the spent casing. While I was cleaning it I closed the GB and turned out 1 full rotation. I haven't tried turning it out more to see if it helps. After I just took everything apart I do not see anything that would seem to be the issue. Maybe I'll run GB out all the way and try a different factory round and see what happens.??
Open the gas block completely. Run it wide open until you get this running right. I'm gonna take a guess here. Look closely at the ammo and chamber. Also at the bolt/extension lugs. If you are having to morter rounds out, something is binding. Is it easy to eject an unfired round? If not, tight chamber or fat new ammo. Possibly ilfitting lugs. If the lugs don't rotate easily when cycling, you have a problem.

It sounds like the issue I had with a build of mine . The chamber was cut short and the round would get stuck due to no head space . It was the first and last time I've taken a ar in to have it assembled . I watched the gunsmith shoot it one round at a time cycling the bolt after each shot after fixing the head space issue . I had to mortor the round out before the barrel was fixed . It was interesting he did say he tested the gun and it function like it should . I did promptly call him a idiot and take my gun away and buy all my own tools and fixed it correctly myself. The barrel was made by a highly reputable maker starts with a K. I'd have the headspace ✔️ it might be tight . If it's a factory savage call there customer support and see if they will fix it.

RE: AGB's. Can only comment on Superlative Arms AGB's, no experience with any others. First one that I bought was a SA and it worked exactly how it was supposed to. First was for a fairly std large frame build. Maybe it didn't NEED an AGB, but I used one just in case. I see it as being able to tune the gas port size without having to drill, and then figure out how to make it smaller when you've gone too far like one particular 7.62x39 barrel that I have.

Had to look up "Mortaring" and AR. Knew the technique, never heard it called that.

Sounds like the OP got his rifle running?

RE: AGB's. Can only comment on Superlative Arms AGB's, no experience with any others. First one that I bought was a SA and it worked exactly how it was supposed to. First was for a fairly std large frame build. Maybe it didn't NEED an AGB, but I used one just in case. I see it as being able to tune the gas port size without having to drill, and then figure out how to make it smaller when you've gone too far like one particular 7.62x39 barrel that I have.

Had to look up "Mortaring" and AR. Knew the technique, never heard it called that.

Sounds like the OP got his rifle running?
Yes I was able to unload a full clip this morning before work. Gas block open 75% open. The issue was when GB was only opened 10-15%. Some great info in this thread though. Thanks to all that commented.

Recent Posts