224 Valkyrie Issues

I'm going through this on my 224V. Although my smith says it is purely imaginary and will never happen, I found that my gas tube was clogged. Cleaned it out, reassembled, and hope to shoot this weekend to be sure that was the cause. Also, one advisor had suggested that metal lowers seem to function better with some uppers than polymer lowers - I tried swapping and it did help, but then it quit cycling so I had to dig deeper.
First time for everything! A clogged gas tube? I'd of lost money on that bet! Now I'd be asking myself, Why did it clog. I've messed with 100's of gas guns and never seen that happen. Even with 1000's of rounds through them and less than great cleaning. If it were partially clogged, it is starting to sound like the gun is right on the edge of malfunctioning. Makes me wonder if something else is not quite right. A well set up gas gun should just run and run and run. IMO

I'm going through this on my 224V. Although my smith says it is purely imaginary and will never happen, I found that my gas tube was clogged. Cleaned it out, reassembled, and hope to shoot this weekend to be sure that was the cause. Also, one advisor had suggested that metal lowers seem to function better with some uppers than polymer lowers - I tried swapping and it did help, but then it quit cycling so I had to dig deeper.

I have metal lowers

LEO trained M16 armorer.
If it worked at first, that narrows things down to something changed, broke, or moved. Pretty much removes buffer and spring as the culprit. This is all assuming the ammo did not change.
#1! Check the bolts on top of the bolt carrier group holding the gas key in place. If they are not staked sufficiently they will work loose and leak gas in the upper. Some manufacturers have been using thread lock compounds, they don't hold up.
Check the gas block alignment and the gas tube.
Check the bolt as above.
Clean and lube the bcg.
First rule of troubleshooting, make incremental changes. One change at a time.

Thank you for the advice....Im trying to do that...slowly working my way from the back to the front trying to cover all possibilities....and with the help of all of you guys covering steps that I might have over looked

That the it looked right after the handguard was removed

Attachments

• 20200827_130134.jpg
    20200827_130134.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
IMO it looks normal after firing some rounds through it, carbon was easy to removed and did not feel caked on......wanted you guys to take a look and tell me what you guys think before I start changing out the gas block.....i did get in an adjustable gas block, and different brand mags

I live on the coast. Semi tropical. I run my BCG wet with lube. It keeps the carbon softer and the gun runs better. Messy but I was trained that was how the gun was designed to run.
Also look at the end of the gas tube where it runs into the gas key. Is it going in straight.
Might as well make sure the gas tube isn't clogged either. Who knew? Never say never.

And DO NOT run a pipe cleaner in the gas tube. Seen more pipe cleaners broken off in a gas tube than anything. Just blow or spray through it and verify clear. Gas pressure should keep it clean.

What he said. Still can't figure what happened to plug the gas tube. Something else is going on. Just can't shake that idea. If it were mine, I would be tempted to try the new gas block along with a new gas tube.
And, like an old gunsmith once told me about gas tubes, 'treat them like you would your ****, nothing good can happen if they are damaged, and sticking something in it can only lead to trouble'.

Do check that gas key on top of the bolt carrier. I had that come loose on 3 rifles I was demoing for an agency on behalf of a company. Talk about looking stupid. All 3 of the rifles failed to function after about 200-300 rounds, in the same way you described.
When I returned the demo rifles, the rep's and I had a chat. So to speak.:mad:

I live on the coast. Semi tropical. I run my BCG wet with lube. It keeps the carbon softer and the gun runs better. Messy but I was trained that was how the gun was designed to run.
Also look at the end of the gas tube where it runs into the gas key. Is it going in straight.
Might as well make sure the gas tube isn't clogged either. Who knew? Never say never.

When removed ...it was straight, and I did get anothet gas tube that I'm going to try