Any help with charge handle issues

Ryeguy

Hello, I bought my first AR a few years ago and just started reloading for it and trying to get it shooting well. It's a Savage MSR-15 224 Valkyrie. When I first got it it had trouble cycling the handle, only a certain box of shells would work once in a while. I Tried moving gas block and can't remember if I had it fully running 100%. It's sat till today after I broke it down cleaned it up and went out to shoot my powder ladder. Well I shot 2 times and each time I had to turn rifle upside down and bang butt against tailgate while pushing down on charge handle. It was stuck bad, both times. After spent case ejected, I can work handle smoothly. I have no idea what I did wrong, if anything when I broke it down to clean. Haven't had time to break it down again yet, just wanted to see if anyone knew where to look first? Thanks, only 100rds maybe through rifle.

If you are having to mortar the round out of battery, there is a bigger issue than charging handle.

Look at the locking lugs paying attention to the backside of the lugs, look for unusual wear or burrs.

Look closely at the bolt carrier, verify there are no unusual wear patterns, look at the key raceway for signs of binding.

Check gas block alignment, verify that the adjustment screw is backed all the way out. Only adjust it after it begins to run, then in until it stops cycling and back out a 1/4 turn.

Verify gas tube to BCG gas key alignment.

Check the chamber and see how well it is finished out.

Both @Bucklowery and @SPitty have given you sound advice. We need more though.

Report back with your findings and we'll go from there.

It's possibly a headspace problem with your handloads. I had the same thing happen with my 6.8 a long time ago. You should probably get a case gauge to check everything is sized correctly.

Thanks,
Pitt
Those 2 were factory Hornady loads. I'll check head space though. Thanks

If you are having to mortar the round out of battery, there is a bigger issue than charging handle.

Look at the locking lugs paying attention to the backside of the lugs, look for unusual wear or burrs.

Look closely at the bolt carrier, verify there are no unusual wear patterns, look at the key raceway for signs of binding.

Check gas block alignment, verify that the adjustment screw is backed all the way out. Only adjust it after it begins to run, then in until it stops cycling and back out a 1/4 turn.

Verify gas tube to BCG gas key alignment.

Check the chamber and see how well it is finished out.

Both @Bucklowery and @SPitty have given you sound advice. We need more though.

Report back with your findings and we'll go from there.

I apologize, but when you said you just started reloading for it and you were shooting a ladder, I assumed they were handloads. Like @Darryle said, it could be many things. Because you mentioned you tried moving the gas block, I would verify the gas tube is properly aligned with the gas key.

Thanks,
Pitt

Did you disassemble the bolt when you cleaned it. What all did you break down cleaning it?

Thanks

Buck
Yes took upper apart from bottom. And took bolt out. First AR so I was pretty interested how things worked. Maybe have something not lined up correctly. Just weird everything works smoothly and fired.

How about some pics of the inside of the upper and bcg! What do you mean by "moving the gas block"? Were everything handloads or combo of factory and handloads? An issue I had with an AR243win was the throat was short and factory ammo when in battery would leave land marks on the bullets. Does it have an adjustable gb? Try this, take a sized case (no powder, primer or bullet) and insert it into the chamber, close the bolt and then manually eject it. Case/brass might not be sized at the base small enough? If you had headspace issues you wouldn't have ejection issues (excluding extractor not grabbing the rim).

PICS please!