Any help with charge handle issues

How about some pics of the inside of the upper and bcg! What do you mean by "moving the gas block"? Were everything handloads or combo of factory and handloads? An issue I had with an AR243win was the throat was short and factory ammo when in battery would leave land marks on the bullets. Does it have an adjustable gb? Try this, take a sized case (no powder, primer or bullet) and insert it into the chamber, close the bolt and then manually eject it. Case/brass might not be sized at the base small enough? If you had headspace issues you wouldn't have ejection issues (excluding extractor not grabbing the rim).

PICS please!

I think he has an adjustable gas block

How about some pics of the inside of the upper and bcg! What do you mean by "moving the gas block"? Were everything handloads or combo of factory and handloads? An issue I had with an AR243win was the throat was short and factory ammo when in battery would leave land marks on the bullets. Does it have an adjustable gb? Try this, take a sized case (no powder, primer or bullet) and insert it into the chamber, close the bolt and then manually eject it. Case/brass might not be sized at the base small enough? If you had headspace issues you wouldn't have ejection issues (excluding extractor not grabbing the rim).

PICS please!

Attachments

• C080C33E-D24E-436E-A012-F00910DBC91A.jpeg
    C080C33E-D24E-436E-A012-F00910DBC91A.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 4F485A5B-FFD0-4BEF-9AE8-27959E215EA6.jpeg
    4F485A5B-FFD0-4BEF-9AE8-27959E215EA6.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 6085E9B8-79D0-4B66-851F-F71D22DB5E92.jpeg
    6085E9B8-79D0-4B66-851F-F71D22DB5E92.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 54
  • A8F1CC96-A35F-4B08-8D34-91D53B2527E8.jpeg
    A8F1CC96-A35F-4B08-8D34-91D53B2527E8.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1E070D17-49D9-44C9-9C87-4C179F2CD807.jpeg
    1E070D17-49D9-44C9-9C87-4C179F2CD807.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 58
@ARlife4me, I have an adjustable GB, after I took everything apart (including bolt carrier) and cleaned/oiled everything I took 2 factory loads to shoot for "foulers". Each time it took a lot of "muscle" to discharge the spent casing. While I was cleaning it I closed the GB and turned out 1 full rotation. I haven't tried turning it out more to see if it helps. After I just took everything apart I do not see anything that would seem to be the issue. Maybe I'll run GB out all the way and try a different factory round and see what happens.??

Some other thoughts: fully clean the chamber, ensure the gas block is aligned with gas port, via a piece of tubing blow down the gas tube from the inside of the receiver to make sure that the gas tube passage is not blocked and that you are getting clean flow all the way to the barrel bore.

Thanks,
Pitt

Hello, I bought my first AR a few years ago and just started reloading for it and trying to get it shooting well. It's a Savage MSR-15 224 Valkyrie. When I first got it it had trouble cycling the handle, only a certain box of shells would work once in a while. I Tried moving gas block and can't remember if I had it fully running 100%. It's sat till today after I broke it down cleaned it up and went out to shoot my powder ladder. Well I shot 2 times and each time I had to turn rifle upside down and bang butt against tailgate while pushing down on charge handle. It was stuck bad, both times. After spent case ejected, I can work handle smoothly. I have no idea what I did wrong, if anything when I broke it down to clean. Haven't had time to break it down again yet, just wanted to see if anyone knew where to look first? Thanks, only 100rds maybe through rifle.

Little hard to understand. So is it jamming loading the chamber or after the shot? You need to get a 22 cal steel rod to put down the barrel or you can use a mediun flat blade and pry the bolt back being careful not to ding the upper ejection slot opening.

If a spent case doesn't eject was it popped primer or not enough powder to cycle. My home made V 224 can pound away all day without failure using 26.5 grains of leverrevolution or CFE 223 behind 80 gr. pills.

I really don't understand why you would move the gas block???

Interesting video about his poorly built V224

@budlight After the shot it jammed.(factory load) I was able to get it out with pulling on charge handle and bumping stock on tailgate. I moved GB because the last time I shot it (2 yrs ago) I was having a hell of a time getting the rifle to grab the next round after firing, so I was messing with it back then. So after watching some videos the other day I put back to "stock" 1 full ration from closed. I'm thinking that's my issue.(needs opened more. And primer looked fine. To me it acted like a hot load on a bolt rifle.
I tore it back down, oiled it up good, everything looks fine so I'll try different ammo tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for the advice. This guns been trouble from day 1. 😡

Last edited:
I haven't tried this before, but I'm thinking about it? Turning gb fully off and see if the case swells to much to be ejected via chargehandle? Also have you checked if the bullet has land marks when chambered? If so, the throat is short and causing higher pressure that can lockup the bcg, but non necessarily pop primers as it jams the case against the bolt keeping the primer installed.

When factory ammo (mostly tuned for BA's) isn't AR friendly.................that's what I've found out in 6.5creed factory ammo (Hornady match 123 a-max/sst). The ammo cycled perfectly in 2 aero precision barrels (18" mid-length & 22" standard rifle length gas) used without an agb. After those 2 I put together 5 more non-ap barrels (faxon, 2 pr, bsf & cbi)(bsf and pr's +2 gas & cbi & faxon standard rifle length). All 5 with agb's and all required different fixes. The answer is ap barrels have a gas port size that works with non-agb, standard weight buffers and springs. Port size is VERY important.

Several have suggested checking that you don't have a short chamber or throat. I would verify that first. If you don't a short something, then you're good to go with more break-in.

IME AR's need some break-in. I wouldn't worry about how it functions or doesn't function until you've got at least 100 rounds down the pipe. By then it should have settled in and be behaving right

Run it wet with lube. Can back off on the lube later once it's running, but for now make sure that it has ample lube to function. Wear your full PPE because that much lube will be airborne and some of it can be hot.

I'd suggest reading the manual (Gasp!!!) and setting the AGB where the mfg originally had it set. If it won't cycle and eject at all then turn up the gas until it will.

And I'll say it just to be sure and not to be the Safety Buffalo, but be golly gosh darned careful with it while you're fiddling around trying to get it to run. All too easy to be focused on what it's doing, what you're doing to try to get it working, and not where it's pointing etc.

Several have suggested checking that you don't have a short chamber or throat. I would verify that first. If you don't a short something, then you're good to go with more break-in.

IME AR's need some break-in. I wouldn't worry about how it functions or doesn't function until you've got at least 100 rounds down the pipe. By then it should have settled in and be behaving right

Run it wet with lube. Can back off on the lube later once it's running, but for now make sure that it has ample lube to function. Wear your full PPE because that much lube will be airborne and some of it can be hot.

I'd suggest reading the manual (Gasp!!!) and setting the AGB where the mfg originally had it set. If it won't cycle and eject at all then turn up the gas until it will.

And I'll say it just to be sure and not to be the Safety Buffalo, but be golly gosh darned careful with it while you're fiddling around trying to get it to run. All too easy to be focused on what it's doing, what you're doing to try to get it working, and not where it's pointing etc.
I have 2 grendel's, 2 different barrel mfgs. 1 took 150 ir so rounds to break in and the other 20. You just never know how many it'll take?