Any Gunwerks Clymer Owners?

I think you're making a good call on the SS action. You might be happy with the Mark 5 3.6-18x44 with the G7 reticle. I like the March CT 2.5-25 that I have on a 6.5 Sherman - a lot of scope in a compact, light package.
That's the exact scope I was going to get. The only difference is that I was going to buy it separately with my mil discount and send it to them to mount and use for validation. I think that would have the scoped rifle below 8 lbs even with the stainless action.

I don't have a Clymr but I have two of the Gunwerks rifles and I personally could not be happier. They feel great in your hands, very comfortable to shoulder and man do they shoot. My LRM has been my go to gun for the last 9 years, hard to leave on a hunt without it! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how nice they really are. Good Luck with the new rifle and your upcoming hunt. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your success.

I don't have a Clymr but I have two of the Gunwerks rifles and I personally could not be happier. They feel great in your hands, very comfortable to shoulder and man do they shoot. My LRM has been my go to gun for the last 9 years, hard to leave on a hunt without it! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how nice they really are. Good Luck with the new rifle and your upcoming hunt. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your success.
X-2

You'll save about 6oz going TI vs stainless on the action, so it's a pretty easy computation to make whether those ounces are worth the cost differential for you. We see a lot of guys going TI lately on the ClymR particularly, but you can't go wrong with stainless if you don't mind the extra few ounces. In the ClymR, the 7 Rem Mag is about max I'd recommend. You may also consider a 7SAUM or 6.5 PRC as others have suggested. The 7SAUM is a great middle ground and will save about an ounce overall with the short action vs long action receiver.

Also consider if you intend to shoot suppressed or braked. The brake is a bit more efficient on recoil reduction so the Rem Mag will still be manageable in a ClymR platform. If shooting suppressed (my preference), the benefits are huge, but recoil reduction isn't quite as efficient, so a 7 SAUM or 6.5 PRC may be a bit more forgiving in a suppressed platform.

I am a big proponent for the GunWerks rifle systems as I have several of their rifles (two 6.5CMs, one 7mm RM, and one 6.5 PRC). In 2017 I took a GunWerks rifle with the new Clymer stock (titanium action) to Canada for a multi-species hunt. The rifle was chambered in 6.5 CM and was topped by a NXS 2.5-10x42 scope. The total weight of the rifle with scope was 7 pounds 10 ounces. During the 22 days I spent in BC, I was able to harvest a Stone Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Caribou. Shots varied in range from 160 yards to 485 yards. While a lot of folks will laugh at the 6.5CM, the sheep and caribou took one shot each, whole the mountain goat took 2 shots (I used the Berger 140g VLD bullets).

Since then I've purchased an updated rifle (Clymer 6.5 PRC w/18in carbon barrel, Leupold Mark V 3-18x44 scope) which weighs in at 7 pounds 8 ounces. When I went the 6.5PRC wasn't even a consideration, but I did have a 7mm RM which I considered. The 7mm RM was over a pound heavier but since I was backpacking in, I wanted to reduce weight and chose the 6.5CM.

I currently have a new GW rifle on order (the cut rifle in a 7SAUM which will weigh 6 1/2 pounds with optics) which I will take on a Dall sheep hunt in 2022. I ordered it with the 7SAUM as I will also be going after moose and grizzly.

I would recommend you order your rifle with a carbon fiber barrel which can be shortened to maintain stiffness/accuracy while reducing weight. The caliber is up to you and depends on what you plan on taking. If you are looking at grizzly I would suggest the 7SAUM or 7RM. :)

Regardless what GunWerks rifle you select - you will love them and how they shoot.

Attachments

• DSC03017.JPG
    DSC03017.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7001.JPG
    IMG_7001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7659.JPG
    IMG_7659.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_7930.JPG
    IMG_7930.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
Buy 100 rounds of Gunwerks ammo with the gun, and that brass will last almost as long as your barrel!

I'm sorry we're not able to sell new brass anymore, we just cant make enough to supply our ammo. However, what for once fired brass online. We shoot 40-100 rounds in a gun to set it up, and all of that brass is boxed back up in 20 packs and sold. Perfect for a reloader.

For me, I love the 7mm Rem Mag. I feel that our company played a big part in saving that cartridge. But, for your setup, I'm all in on the 7 SAUM!

You'll save about 6oz going TI vs stainless on the action, so it's a pretty easy computation to make whether those ounces are worth the cost differential for you. We see a lot of guys going TI lately on the ClymR particularly, but you can't go wrong with stainless if you don't mind the extra few ounces. In the ClymR, the 7 Rem Mag is about max I'd recommend. You may also consider a 7SAUM or 6.5 PRC as others have suggested. The 7SAUM is a great middle ground and will save about an ounce overall with the short action vs long action receiver.

Also consider if you intend to shoot suppressed or braked. The brake is a bit more efficient on recoil reduction so the Rem Mag will still be manageable in a ClymR platform. If shooting suppressed (my preference), the benefits are huge, but recoil reduction isn't quite as efficient, so a 7 SAUM or 6.5 PRC may be a bit more forgiving in a suppressed platform.
Thanks Landon. I spent a while on the phone yesterday speaking with Pake at GW. I'd really prefer a 6.5 variety as I live in NC and don't usually need a magnum. I also already have a 300wsm that's not going anywhere. My only concern for a 6.5PRC on this hunt would be if I end up hunting Grizz. I do feel like a bonded bullet or all copper in 6.5 PRC would handle a Griz though. I love the 7saum but competent availability concerns me.

I'm actually expecting my stamp to come in any day now. I bought a silencer co Omega 300 and don't plan on shooting much un-suppressed once I have it.

Good luck on your hunt..did my first sheep at 27 (Dall)and my next at 42 (Desert)...wish I could draw my Rocky at 46 so I could have enough time to pay for that Stone...no experience with the clymer but really like the feel of the stock. I picked on up at DSC…I have a 7 SAUM for a mountain rifle…I love the 7 SAUM.

Ed

Last edited:
I am a big proponent for the GunWerks rifle systems as I have several of their rifles (two 6.5CMs, one 7mm RM, and one 6.5 PRC). In 2017 I took a GunWerks rifle with the new Clymer stock (titanium action) to Canada for a multi-species hunt. The rifle was chambered in 6.5 CM and was topped by a NXS 2.5-10x42 scope. The total weight of the rifle with scope was 7 pounds 10 ounces. During the 22 days I spent in BC, I was able to harvest a Stone Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Caribou. Shots varied in range from 160 yards to 485 yards. While a lot of folks will laugh at the 6.5CM, the sheep and caribou took one shot each, whole the mountain goat took 2 shots (I used the Berger 140g VLD bullets).

Since then I've purchased an updated rifle (Clymer 6.5 PRC w/18in carbon barrel, Leupold Mark V 3-18x44 scope) which weighs in at 7 pounds 8 ounces. When I went the 6.5PRC wasn't even a consideration, but I did have a 7mm RM which I considered. The 7mm RM was over a pound heavier but since I was backpacking in, I wanted to reduce weight and chose the 6.5CM.

I currently have a new GW rifle on order (the cut rifle in a 7SAUM which will weigh 6 1/2 pounds with optics) which I will take on a Dall sheep hunt in 2022. I ordered it with the 7SAUM as I will also be going after moose and grizzly.

I would recommend you order your rifle with a carbon fiber barrel which can be shortened to maintain stiffness/accuracy while reducing weight. The caliber is up to you and depends on what you plan on taking. If you are looking at grizzly I would suggest the 7SAUM or 7RM. :)

Regardless what GunWerks rifle you select - you will love them and how they shoot.
Thank you for the great response and photos! I'm def going with a short barrel. So you wouldn't trust the 6.5PRC on a Grizz with a tough bullet?

Love that rifle and the stock design specifically.

I have a similar weight rifle in a 20 inch 7 SAUM running a TBAC Ultra 7. With a VX6-HD 3-18x44, suppressor and bi-pod, sling and loaded with 3 rounds it weighs just under 9 pounds. It's a Def An-Ti LA, CF Stock and Barrel.

That's a similar weight and balance to what you're looking at. I love mine and running a 180 Berger at 2850 it will do all I need retaining 2000 fps to nearly 700 yards at sea level.

Buy 100 rounds of Gunwerks ammo with the gun, and that brass will last almost as long as your barrel!

I'm sorry we're not able to sell new brass anymore, we just cant make enough to supply our ammo. However, what for once fired brass online. We shoot 40-100 rounds in a gun to set it up, and all of that brass is boxed back up in 20 packs and sold. Perfect for a reloader.

For me, I love the 7mm Rem Mag. I feel that our company played a big part in saving that cartridge. But, for your setup, I'm all in on the 7 SAUM!

Even though Aaron really needs to get rid of the creeper stash...it's really awesome that he took the time to post on this thread!

That says a lot about the company, in my opinion.

Just for some insight, I hunted Caribou in 1999 in Alaska out of Illiamna. I was hunting with a couple of guys that are very well versed in hunting and the outdoors, born and raised in Montana. On the first morning of our hunt 100 yards from our tent we came over a rise and there was a large brown hairy object about 50 yards in front of us. I said to my buddy holly crap look at that and he said what the hell is a buffalo doing way out here. Obviously it was not a Buffalo but a very large Grizzly Bear thats backside looked as big as the side of the barn. there big and there mean and I would want something a little larger than a 140-150 grain bullet in my rifle if it decided I might be its next meal. JMO