7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7stw. That's exactly the reason i posted about a build...the wealth of info from fellas who know their stuff. I am grateful for everyone's kindness!

I would've never thought about the reamer. This tells me to slow down and research everything involved. I feel like i need a blame grocery list. Lol

Don't laugh, the " grocery list" is a good idea. It's a pain to keep second guessing yourself all the time, AFTER you get the ball rolling! do all of THAT before you make your arrangements. When I just built my 280' it all started by me running into a deal on the barrel, which was a Brux. ( I found it here in the classifieds, and it was one of the " Brothers " too!).
There's no particular order either. You can buy the stock, action, or barrel, at any time, but you have to a least have a vision of what your final product will be . But as I said earlier, the most important thing, is of course the Gunsmith, to whom will be doing the work. ( just because they waer a shop apron, and own a Bridgeport lathe, DOSENT make them a gunsmith!). Reputations make good gunsmiths, and vice versa! lightbulb

Don't laugh, the " grocery list" is a good idea. It's a pain to keep second guessing yourself all the time, AFTER you get the ball rolling! do all of THAT before you make your arrangements. When I just built my 280' it all started by me running into a deal on the barrel, which was a Brux. ( I found it here in the classifieds, and it was one of the " Brothers " too!).
There's no particular order either. You can buy the stock, action, or barrel, at any time, but you have to a least have a vision of what your final product will be . But as I said earlier, the most important thing, is of course the Gunsmith, to whom will be doing the work. ( just because they waer a shop apron, and own a Bridgeport lathe, DOSENT make them a gunsmith!). Reputations make good gunsmiths, and vice versa! lightbulb
True story!

X-2 ....Always check on the reamer ......I just buy one that saves me the worry

Butterbean, precisely my thoughts! That's one way to eliminate an old worn out one being used. For some reason tho i was thinking the barrel was reamed at the place you bought it from.

The remmy brass has been getting hard to find and spendy lately. My lgs knows I want some (I'll be fine for a year or two but some of you guys aren't) and they can't get it in for me. With the run on components/ammo still in full swing I don't see Rem putting time into the stw brass this year-- correct me if I'm wrong please.

Does anybody have any experience with the Witt Machine clamp on Muzzle-break?? I saw their advertisement on the home page of LRH, just woondering if anybody has feedback on performance and Function.

7stw, Bob, how much did that Bobby Hart stock weigh in at?

Ed, I haven't actually weighed it , but I would say it is in the four pound area, but that actually sounds high as I write it. The specs might be on Stockys website though!
Keep in mind, that the weight of the finished rig was not a issue when I built it, as I don't have to carry it far to and from the spots that I hunt with it . The total weight is that of a bench gun, or there abouts!

Hey guys its been awhile since I have been on the site. since the last time I was here I have finally gotten a chance to sight in my sako 75 7stw. it is shooting the 140gr Winchester ballistic silvertips fairly well, just over 1.25" at 100 yards. I have to say that I love this rifle. but there is only one problem that I have with it.and that would be that I cant find ammo. I was able to pick up 2 boxes of Winchesters locally. other than that I would have to order everything which I really don't like to do. so I have been thinking about trying to trade it for another sako in a more common cal. like 308, 7 mag, 300 win or something along those lines. if anyone is interested just email me @ [email protected]. gun)