25 Creedmoor

I do applaud rich on his designs and efforts! But go start pricing dies,brass not too mention building a gun and it takes his calibers out of the working mans budget!

Remington designed a wonderful compact magnum case years ahead of its time but like many of their designs they killed it with bad marketing or poor firearms too go with it!

Too be honest hornady found a Golden Horseshoe with the creedmoor because the rest of their designs will probably never last from lack of guns too support sales of their designs

Bore capacity. Each caliber has its max. This is nothing new, but has been around as long as smokeless powder. When you reach bore capacity muzzle blast and recoil go up faster than velocity. Modern powders have cheated that somewhat with their slow burn rates. We all accepted the velocity that the factories put out about the 7mm rem mag, until chronographs came about then remington backed off on their claims. With older powders the 7mm rem mag and 264 win mag barely got above the 270 in velocity. Today with the new generation of powders we are able to achieve new peaks. Roughly 70 grains was max in the 30 bore for years, example, the 30/06 will achieve some where around 3000 fps with the 60 grains of powder. To get 300 to 500 more fps we have to add 1/3 more powder. Barrel erosion goes into play at that point. Even a 308 has better barrel life than a 30/06.
Interesting that today the 300 wsm, achieves the same velocity as the 300 win mag, it is achieved they say by a fatter case. It is closer to that magical 70 grains though.

Thank you for the explaination, I figured there was a term for how much powder before diminishing returns but didn't know it. I appreciate the response.

I never said it's better than breathin' air. I wasn't making a claim that anything in a Creedmoor case is better than a good piece of ***. I'm 51 and I like modern **** and the Creedmoor, if you really just look at a SAAMI spec drawing, it's very well thought out and efficient modern design. That'l give you all the velocity you need/want for long high BC bullets that fit in a SR25 magazine.

Last edited:
You guys kill me! All the quarter bore bashing I've heard for years now we put creedmoor begins .25 and it's the coolest! Bet if you put it behind 308 it would make Winchester's version obsolete! Lmao
You guys kill me! All the quarter bore bashing I've heard for years now we put creedmoor begins .25 and it's the coolest! Bet if you put it behind 308 it would make Winchester's version obsolete! Lmao

Well actually the .308 case is longer than optimum for the 25 ACE 131gr. bullet which is 1.44" long using it in a SAAMI spec short action magazine. The 25 Creedmoor would be just right necking up from a 6mm Creedmoor Lapua case with no neck turning to worry about. I have been wanting someone to develop a good high B.C. 257 since the early nineties. I won't need 3 different rifles anymore now as I can get by with 2.

I won't pretend like I know everything about this. But one observation I have made is it seems like sometimes it takes a lot more powder in the big cases to get the same velocity of a smaller case.
For example if I use 54 grains of Rl-26 in my 6.5x284 Norma I get 2950 FPS. If I use 46.5 Rl-26 in a 6.5 creed I get 3075fps same bullet same primer. The Creed has 2 inches more barrel than the 284. I assume this all due to pressure but not sure I understand why so much more powder is needed. I would appreciate an explanation if someone is so inclined. By the way I am not being snarky I honestly can't understand why it requires so much more powder.
RL-26 is very efficient in a 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 25 Creedmoor with 130-135 gr. class bullets

Recent Posts