Youth rifle

bfarms

I have a 7 year old that's wanting to get into deer hunting. Out of all the rifles I have, I only have one ar in 223 he can shoot comfortably since I can adjust the stock. I'd like to see him shoot something a little bigger at a deer. What would be a good youth rifle to buy for him? Not up to date on factory rifles and I'm not getting him a custom built for him just yet lol. I feel like he can handle a 22-250 but my stock is to long and the trigger is way to light for him to try.

Get a 6.5 Grendel upper for your AR. It has very light recoil and with 123 grain SSTs or Eldm's this little cartridge will kill the heck out of deer. I kill a lot of deer and hogs with mine as it is my primary depredation rifle. It would be absolutely perfect for your situation. It's what we use now for most kids in my area mainly because of its light recoil and the fact that the stock can be adjusted to fit kids very easily.

Both of my kids and several nieces and nephews killed their first deer with an AR in 223. Load up some solids and you should be good. We used 62 tsx and had pass through on everything shot and longest track job was 50 yards on a 160lb dressed buck. Most dropped in their tracks.

For that age you will need to find a wood stock that you can cut down .this is a Remington 788 that I had an extra stock that I cut down to 11 inch length of pull. She was 6 almost 7 when I took this photo. It is a 22/250. I also have a 243 that will fit into the stock also

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_173119.jpg
    IMG_20231013_173119.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 5