You No Longer Need a Satellite Phone If You Have An iPhone 14 or Later

I've been an iPhone user ever since Al Gore invented the internet and I'm not familiar with "emergency contacts"... Would you help this old man understand how to set that up?
LD, this link provides a couple of different ways to do it:

Never mind the fed surveillance and the programs like "Carnivore" & the like. Local LE seek access whether consensual or via warrant, to get phones from anyone included/listed as suspect/person of interest. They use your phone, guilty or innocent to download everything that is on it and was ever on it. Nothing gets permanently deleted.

I just found about this feature on new iPhones version 14 or later and mine is a 15.

You can use satellites for texting if you update to iOS 18 which was released last week. It's an update you have to look for. Here's how....

Go to updates and look below the current update and it might say "other updates available" and click on 18. You might have to look for it like I did.

Here's a bulletin from Apple on how to use it.

Don't count your life on it!

Never mind the fed surveillance and the programs like "Carnivore" & the like. Local LE seek access whether consensual or via warrant, to get phones from anyone included/listed as suspect/person of interest. They use your phone, guilty or innocent to download everything that is on it and was ever on it. Nothing gets permanently deleted.
Don't forget the AI chip that they are installing as well. Privacy is a thing of the past with iPhone and Google. The old Ben Franklin line comes to mind. : "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety [convenience], deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." I realise its use here is slightly out of context, but the gist is there.

I'm switching to a Linux based "de-googled" phone once Sony releases their support to SailfishOS for the Xperia 10 IV. I have the phone in hand. Just need the release.